I Want FOOD

Options
What is it... even when I'm not HUNGRY, I think about food.

I want a snack.

I don't want two chips, I want a bag full (or thereabouts!)

I don't want 1,200 calories... I want maybe 12,000

When does this stop?

It wouldn't be so bad if I saw bigger results, faster. But this is S L O W. I feel like it's all for naught.

It's just HARD that's all.

I'm having a HARD time changing my habits...

Does this ever get easier???

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I want a snack.

When does this stop?

It wouldn't be so bad if I saw bigger results, faster. But this is S L O W. I feel like it's all for naught.

Carrie
  • commonsensefitness
    commonsensefitness Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You can't beat junk food lust or carving, we all here knows that it is the hardest part. You can do few things. First you have to take control of your body via your mind. Now body need to be retrained to eat healthy salad and salivate the way it would when it would see that triple yummy chocolate cake. Dont worry we all go through this.
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It is sometimes easy but other times very hard. If you surround yourself with healthy low calorie foods it helps tremendously. Check out the recipe board and you will find lots of great low cal recipes. Sometimes it is not limiting how much you eat, but what you eat. I do my best when I am at home or at restaurant with many options. Friends houses, gatherings and take out with not many healthy options are my weak spots. Try to identify your weak spots and make sure your strong spots are filled with healthy meals and try to make the weak spots infrequent. www.hungry-girl.com also gives great recipes and ideas on how to never feel hungry
  • Mary24
    Mary24 Posts: 398
    Options
    Then eat! But instead of junk food eat Carrots, you can eat 14 baby carrots they only have 30 cals.
    orCelery stiks 2 only have 20 cals. dip them in calorie wise dressing!:flowerforyou:
    I went shopping today and only got healthy foods and snacks.

Hope that helps:smile:

Mary:happy:
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options

I want a snack.

When does this stop?

Carrie

I don't really know what will work for YOU, but I finally just started thinking about food differently. I will play psychologist here a minute and say that part of your issue is that you eat out of boredom or habit, which I used to do as well. I FINALLY got it through my head that food is to fuel my body and is to contribute to my overall health, not take away from it. I used to think that I was "missing out on life" by not indulging when my friends were. Like if they were eating pizza or my husband was eating nachos, I felt "left out" if I ate a salad. But think about that for a minute. How does food dictate our happiness?? It's JUST food!! LOL!! I then started to see that I was missing out on true life by not wanting to go to the beach with my son or get family pictures done. That is really being "left out" and it's just not worth it to me anymore. Yes, food tastes good and provides temporary satisfaction but not so much to the point that I don't want to be healthy.

Maybe just try eating things that are very filling and satisfying. And when you eat, eat slowly and enjoy every bite. And treat your body with the respect it deserves. Eat healthy foods that will actually do something for your health.

I do understand that it's a slow race. How I have gotten through it so far (Losing 75 lbs since September, going for another 60), is that time will go by no matter what. The hours and days and weeks will go by and months will pass ANYWAY. My thinking is that while those days and weeks go by, you can be losing weight...or not. Wouldn't you hate it come say......June....and you think "I could have been this weight or that weight by now". But instead you are the same as you are now? Yes, the losses are slow and healthy but TRUST ME, they will add up FAST.

Good luck!! Just keep going! Take it a week at a time. :)
  • pam0206
    pam0206 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Yes. It does get easier. Once you get more into a routine, you won't be as consumed with thoughts about food, because you know what you're going to do for snacks, meals, etc. Good luck and don't give up. It really works if you stick with it!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The great thing about fat loss is that, the more you move, the more you can eat. :happy: Of course, you still have to make healthy choices, but you aren't stuck to 1,200 calories a day. The more exercise you perform, the more calories you burn, and the more you can eat. Even better is the fact that, with more exercise, you improve your cardiovascular health and even bone density if you perform resistance training.
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    I'm still trying to "make" myself think of food. I was so mad today because it was 12:30 p.m. and I still hadn't eaten anything because I was doing things around the house, etc., etc. I finally shoved a whole wheat bagel and some fat free cream cheese in me.....logged it in and drank 32 oz of water. I've been doing very well and decided that once a week I am going to treat myself to what I LOVE the most.
    I ordered a BIG MAC and took one of the meat patties out (i'm not much on meat), and a fry and diet coke. I logged it in and I STILL have calories left over. Thank goodness I skipped exercising today (I have a chest cold) because there would be MORE calories to burn.
  • fibi3
    fibi3 Posts: 10
    Options

OMG i eat SO much more than that!! but i put it all into my calorie counter and it adds up to the same. i am also a snack food junky (well i was until a week ago when i started this plan) i eat loads of fruit, berries, and carrots throughout the day. basically whenever i am hungry, i eat, i just make sure its a carrot and not a choccy bar

sometimes its just habit and it can be broken by nibbling on the right things for a while!
  • HOTmaddie
    Options
    STOP FIRST

First stop. Its hard yes, but i agree with the previous poster. You're probably not physically hungry. If you are not physically hungry, ask yourself why you want to eat. Bored? Anxious? Fearful? Worried? Happy? Excited? Habit or time of day (triggers)?

For boredom or anxiety choose three other things you like to do that you can do when you get tha bored feeling. Here are some ideas:
    - walk
    - surf the internet
    - email friends
    - do a small craft or art project
    - listen to music and dance along
    - read
    - do a crossword puzzle
    - do volunteer work
    - go bowling
    - take your dog out to play
    - go to a museum or art show
    - write a poem
    - learn a language

Listen, there's so much more out there in the world to do besides EAT. We've been MISSING LIFE!
    I'm new to his board but sInce starting my diet i have taken up a new language, joined a book club and rediscovered how much i LOVE to dance (even if in the privacy of my Napster blaring bedroom).

But, it does get easier. Mostly though we chronic dieters have to find a new way to relate to food. And to identify our emotions. Food is not for emotions, its for nourishment. Think of a smoker who grabs a ciggie out of habit. We're no different actually. Some smokers will tell you they always smoke when they drink (trigger) or if before work (habit) or when they're angry (emotional coping).

Well, we do the same thing with CHEESECAKE. I used to always eat at 4 p.m. when watching Judge Judy. Out of habit. So now I don't watch or if i do I watch from a different room which apparently doesn't trigger my desire to eat. (go figure!). You have to pay attention to yourself and its a neat discovery process, actually.

So, SLOW DOWN and listen to and observe what's happening when you feel the urge to eat.

and IF you're truly HUNGRY PHYSICALLY then either

1) eat something that is healthy and snacky like a pickle, sliced green peppers with a little dressing on them, a handful of almonds, some melba toasts, an apple or apple pie (try this: dice small apple squeeze 1/2 a lemon on it, microwave for one minute, sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg and splenda on it, add a dash of sugar free maple syrup....MMMMMM like apple pie!) Find snacks you like that don't have 4000 calories.

If you must have an unhealthy snack:

2) try to choose something you LIKE in small quantity. Like chocolcate? Don't eat an entire bar, buy one of those individual Lindt chocolate balls - 75 calories or go to the mall and get one turtle from the store where they sell chocolate by weight from the glass display. Want chips? Don't buy a huge bag of chips, by one of those 33 cents mini lunch-sized bags on display at walmart (about 120 calories) . Buy two or three pieces of Brachs candy (you know the kind that sells by weight at the grocery store). Here's a rule: If your decadent snack of choice cannot be purchased in single small servings (NOT a package of 100 calorie snacks - that doesn't count cuz we will eat the whole box 100 calories at a time, right) then don't buy it. You'd be surprised how many things come in small individual packages if you search for them.

Mostly though, to be triumphant, you are going to need to develop a different outlook at food and to do that you must first identify when you are PHYSICALLY hungry vs when you are emotionally hungry.
  • HOTmaddie
    Options
    One more thing to do when you fell hungry:

DRINK DRINK DRINK.

I get this awesome *cranberry* flavored mix from walmart - tastes like cran juice to me - no splenda aftertaste. It comes in the aisle with the Crystal Light. I drink about 3 liters a day (about 100 ounces). Oftentimes I don't have room in my stomach to eat, even when I'd like to.
  • luvmytwins02
    Options
    I was the same way my WHOLE first week of the diet. I had never dieted before so it was so hard. I was hungry all the time! By the second week, my metabolism must have evened out, because I can easily go 3-4 hours without feeling that hunger pain. I think it will get easier for you too!
  • chriss1tt
    chriss1tt Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a newbie only 1 week into mfp. The way I look at it is I did not get into the shape I'm in over nite. It took time to get here(fluffy):laugh: I was a lazy eater, anything quick and fatty. My first few days of being on the site it seemed I was always hungry even tho I was eating better and eating more than I was used to. By the end of my first week tho the hunger is not that bad. I always have my day planned out and I make sure I have fruit and lots of veggies ready when I want them. I lost 3 and 1/2 pounds the first week. :bigsmile: I know you can do it. This site has lot's of support for you so log in when you need us and we will be there.:flowerforyou: mmmmmmmmmmmmmm cucumbers!mmmmmmm