Pre-planned eating before going out?

Options

Replies

• the_energy
    Options
    That is exactly what I do! Sometimes you can go oh with more than one option and you always feel good about making better choices after.

*extra tip: If my friends are having dessert and i fancy something sweet, i have a hot chocolate at the restaurant. If it has some cream on top even better! Lower in cals than a dessert but still a treat, and you don't feel like you're missing out :D xxx
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    definitely, you don't want to go out and have what you think might be fairly healthy for you and find out that everything is through the roof ! i've done that, well i did have my dinner planned out BUT they stopped carrying it so i had to pick something else. tried to pick the healthiest thing but it didn't quite work out. so now i have a plan and a back up plan. going out can so easily throw off your day it isn't even funny
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Please please please remember salads aren't always the healthiest menu items either! So many hidden calories in them!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I've tried to do this and can stick to it when I go somewhere like Outback... but if I get in a nice restaurant, even though I've looked over the menu and planned..... When I hear the specials my pre-planning usually falls to pieces... and I go with it with the theory that you only live once...and that helps me feel like I'm not 'dieting.'
  • MissYatta
    MissYatta Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Please please please remember salads aren't always the healthiest menu items either! So many hidden calories in them!

This!
  • hutchy100
    hutchy100 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If i go out for a nice meal then i think what the hell i want to enjoy myself but if it's a trip to red robin or 1 of them places i pre plan as i don't want to waste good calories on crappy food
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Is it a good idea to pre plan my meals before I go out to eat with friends and relatives?
    Example: I use mfp database and resturants nutrition list on their site to find the lowest cal meal and then enter it in my food diary.

I preplan, but I don't pick the lowest calorie meal. I pick what I want, it's a special occasion to go out with family and friends and deserves to be treated special, then I work what I eat the rest of the day around it.
  • melissan84
    melissan84 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I since started a less than a month ago, I won't go nowhere without checking the nutritional menu. I like to plan out my day according to the meal.
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Definitely plan! also pick a back up meal in case theyre out of what you want! great question and you are doing the right thing! :-) keep up the good work!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I definitely try and do that before I go out. Gives me an idea of what I want to shoot for in terms of calories. I don't necessarily completely plan it out, but I like to get the information before I go, so I'm prepared once I'm there.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yep I always look up the nutrition info of restaurants before going out!
  • shellsie_j
    shellsie_j Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have even started planning for bbqs/picnics. We have one to go to on Sunday and the main thng will be sausages...wow so high in cals. I am in charge of dips etc so am making my own low fat dip with lots of vegies. Of course I will supply biscuits and kabana too because everyone is not on a diet and it would be rude to impose my dieting on everyone. Now, my next test will be not "tryng" the kabana while chopping it up....HARD
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for everyone! :D
    Thanks yall
    Yall are all fabulous!
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I always do. The other day I wanted a flatbread chicken sandwich and side salad. I went to pee before the waitress came and let my husband and friend know what I wanted. My meal came - they ordered me fries! Moral - preplan, and prepee. Not gonna lie - I ate half the fries and they were good.
  • lc971
    lc971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. It keeps me on track.
  • katglaze
    katglaze Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    We eat out every week. I try to do a pre look at the menu for nutritional value. It always help me narrow down my choices, some foods have "hidden" calories I would not know. If I don't I am always way over. Planning helps me.
  • xxslvrxwngsxx
    xxslvrxwngsxx Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I usually do that but last night at Unos I ordered one of their "mini" desserts, thinking I had been good that day and thought it was going to be SMALL, It was a full sized cookie with a scoop of ice cream and whipped cream and was 660 calories :-X never deviate from the planned dinner LOL
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I almost always do this so I know what to order. It makes picking a meal much less of a hassle.
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Gosh, you've done an amazing job! You've used your weight loss to really analyze what you can and can't eat to be healthy. Bless you as you complete your journey. You are already victorious!
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    every time!