What is this crazy pain?

Options
I have been jogging daily for about a week. Four times I have done the day one Couch to 5k workout which consists of jog a minute, walk 1.5 minutes for 20 minutes. All prior times I had a jogging stroller, it was tough but no pain. Today I went out alone and tried to complete the same workout. After a minute of jogging there were horrible pains in my shins. It was torture every time my foor hit the ground. "Running through it" did not help as it does with muscle pain. Eventually I gave up and walked a few miles. Is this some weird type of cramp or something?

Replies

• tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Shin splints! Do you run with decent shoes? Maybe you need new ones! I think changing surface can also cause it...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Get a medical rubber band or a resistance band, put it over your toes and spell the alphabet.

Also, softer surfaces, better shoes, and reduce your running.
  • Cheri_Alexander
    Cheri_Alexander Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Ah thanks guys! I just got the shoes and other than the fact that they are very light and comfy I don't know if they're good or not. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I am a chronic shin splint sufferer. Beginning of every single season, like clockwork. Rest 'em, Ice 'em, Compress 'em and Elevate 'em. Then, moving forward, make sure you have enough arch support in your running shoes. Shin splints happen because you are putting new or unusual stress on your tibia, and on the ligaments and tendons that support it. If you continue to encounter them, you can definitely look into wearing compression socks when you run. That should help a lot!

Good luck :smile:
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just got those the other day! I've had the pain for two days but today I put ice on them for about 30-40 min and they feel so much better! I'm going to rest tomorrow so they can heal. It's tough stuff!
  • CoachB6
    CoachB6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fill a Dixie cup with water in it. Once frozen, peel off paper and roll over the area where you are experiencing pain. This also goes with a previous poster who said to spell your ABCs.

But, yeah, it sounds like shin splints.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You need to go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get analysis done on your gait/feet/walk. They will recommend the right shoes for you. Pay attn to your form while running as well. Make sure you are propelling yourself forward with the leg/foot that is still on the ground...not so much jostling up and down while you run and slamming you feet/leg into the ground...
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    All the above plus make sure you are stretching properly before your run. Stretching helps a lot in preventing shin splints.
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    It is very possible that when you were pushing the stroller, you weight was distributed differently over your legs. Then, when you ran without the stroller, you developed shin splints because of the changed weight distribution. I believe rest is the treatment of choice. Sorry.
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ... or give barefoot/minimalist running a shot - if you land on your mid- or forefoot.

I would be careful when it comes to static stretching! Research varies, but many think it does more harm than good. Runners World has some good videos for dynamic stretches.

Research shows compression socks after a run work well. Jury is still out on whether it helps during.

R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation)