Off for 3 weeks and counting...

Options
I've been really sick for a couple of weeks and am finally getting better. I was running at least three times a week. I haven't been able to do anything because of the cold I had. I'm still on antibiotics and working on getting better. So my question is for those of you who run and had to take a break for a while...how was it going back? I'm still a beginner and have only been at it since November. Would like to hear what others think.

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Take it easy to start and see what happens. Maybe set your goal to at least run half the distance/time you were doing before?
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I recently had to miss 10 days, and I could def. tell a difference. i had had some surgery and I was much weaker afterwards. Don't push yourself to hard, or you will end up back being sick again. Your body will tell you when you've had enough. Feel better soon.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i took almost 2 weeks off once and could still run a 5k after, but i did do cardio through the 2 weeks
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was training for a half-marathon last year (July) and had to take a break because I started having SEVERE knee pains soon after hitting 7 miles. I took about 3 months off (Starting back up around August). It was a little tough getting back on the wagon. I found myself only able to run 2-3 mile runs, which was disappointing because I had hit 7 prior to stopping, but I just kept at it because I not only enjoyed running, but I liked the non-scale victories every time I added on a new mile. And it DID have it's up and down moments of course!

Needless to say: I completed my first half-marathon 3 weeks ago, running around 12 out of the 13 miles, and no knee pain! :-) I continue to run and I don't have knee problems (as severe) anymore. And I can run 4-5 miles easy.

My advice is just to pace yourself when you get back and then as you get more into the groove, pick up your pace and just keep going. If you feel good--run faster and longer; if you feel like crap-make it a short run, slow paced- or a short quick run to get it over with faster--just do what you can.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I haven't done anything. I'm a teacher and I'm up moving around a lot during the day, so by the time I get home, I'm spent. I was off today, slept in until 9:45, went out for lunch, came back home and slept again from 4:30-7:10. It's crazy how tired and worn out I've been. My doctor (I had to go back 2 times) told me that if I hadn't come in I could've ended up in the hospital with pneumonia. Yuck. Luckily I've still lost weight and have kept my eating in check.
  • 2011kjb
    2011kjb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try walking your usual route the first couple of days. If you feel ok, you can gradually increase your stamina by jogging for a block and then walking for a few blocks until you feel like jogging again. Take your time and listen to your body. Good luck!