Weird way to get rid of belly fat

Options
So I posted something here a while ago about getting rid of belly fat. I found an interesting article and it states:

" When you're trying to lose fat in a specific area, there is a handy trick that personal trainers and instructors use. The hotter you get, the more you sweat and the higher your heart rate is. It takes a combination of both those things (sweat and heart rate) to burn fat. A very easy way to make yourself sweat more and heat up a bit more is to wrap cling film (glad wrap, plastic wrap) around the area you're targeting.
In your case it is your stomach, some people will want to do it on their thighs or upper arms. The plastic wrap forces more sweat out of your body because you will get hotter as you exercise and you will get better results."

Has anyone tried that? If yes, what were your results?

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    all it does is make you lose water weight, the second you drink water your belly will be the same as before
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it, but someone else posted that she was doing this a while back and most of the posts she got aftewards indicated that it was pretty much pointless!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    all it does is make you lose water weight, the second you drink water your belly will be the same as before

Exactly, it's pointless and you look stupid.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I had something made out of scuba suit that your wrapped around your belly. All it did was give me a sweaty butt crack.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    the garbage bag/saran wrap is a cheap way to make you think you are doing more work.

the only reason you want to sweat is because it usually means your target heart rate is higher.

you have to work hard for that to happen.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options

Yup. Dehydrating an area for a while won't permanently get rid of the fat there. It'll plump right back up once you rehydrate.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    It does raise another question - I hear a lot about people who go get "body wraps" and swear by them. Is that related to this?
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I had something made out of scuba suit that your wrapped around your belly. All it did was give me a sweaty butt crack.

That made me giggle.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    It does raise another question - I hear a lot about people who go get "body wraps" and swear by them. Is that related to this?

I was wondering the same thing. Although I did get one (my friend owned a tanning spa) a long time ago. She took my measurements before and after. I lost inches, but it would have been neat had I gone back 4 weeks later to see if I had kept them off. Honestly they are really expensive, so I think just good exercise and clean foods will get you better results in the long run.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You will lose inches but it's water, not fat.
    The second you drink a few glasses of water you'll gain them back. :)
    Save your money!
  • newerme15
    newerme15 Posts: 128 Member
    Options

Excuse me?
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think working out with plastc wrap and sweating... would feel gross >.<
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    it works... uncomfortable, but it works... it's the same idea as those neoprene pants they sell... increase the heat and sweat.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I had an awesome and wonderful but very obese uncle that used to wrap himself in a garbage bag then go sit in his sauna for a few hours any time he had to fit into his tux. :drinker:
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options

Excuse me?
    I think she meant you'll looks stupid with plastic wrap round your waste....
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Excuse me?

I don't think this person was saying that you personally look stupid, I think they meant someone wearing saran wrap may look stupid!
  • Tflick1
    Tflick1 Posts: 4
    Options
    An It works body wrap will do the trick if you want to trim and tone a certain area
  • babbycakess
    Options
    if you wanna sweat work out in a sauna suit,
    or just ware a lot of clothes and you be just as sweaty.
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

You only look stupid if people see it. Which in most cases, no one will.

@OP: I use a belly belt. $9 at Wal-Mart. I wrap it around my stomach when I do cardio and by the end my shirt is dripping on sweat :laugh: Sure it may just be water weight, but it does make the bloat go away.
  • missfancy1980
    Options
    Well it must do something as all the boxers at my gym turn up in 3 layers of clothes just to sweat more when they work out lol