What do you think about

Options
When you're running? When you get to that spot where you just want to stop what do you think about that keeps you from stopping? I keep telling myself 'keep going, you're not going to die'. What do you tell yourself?

Replies

• marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think if I am not going to do it, no one is going to do it for me :o)

Tomorrow I am going to run/jog/walk my first 5k and I am so excited........I will probably just be thinking I want to run a bit faster than the person next to me :o)
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think about how much I'd regret it if I stopped now. Plus, I know that I don't, but I imagine myself flying along like all those amazing looking people in running ads. And I try to focus on whatever song I'm listening to.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I honestly just think of something else. Running is my time to not focus on anything in particular, so usually my mind wanders, and I zone out. I don't even remember what I was thinking half the time. When I get to things that are tougher, like hills, I usually imagine myself dancing up the hill instead, which probably looks ridiculous, since my arms will flail out like I'm actually dancing, but it makes it much more fun. Good thing I mostly run on trails, or people might be more afraid when they saw me coming..
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    For some reason it helps me to think about fat wives and their poor average weight husbands. I guess I just think about how I never want to be that woman.
  • stablesong
    stablesong Posts: 224
    Options
    "Okay if I can finish out these two minutes there will only be five minutes left... four forty... four twenty-five... oh god almost done..."
    If I can break my time down in my mind to a few minutes at a time, I'll be able to knock out 20-30 minutes pretty easily. This is jogging, of course, not running at full speed.
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    Just a little further, Almost there almost there. I run 1.5 miles down this marked trail and 1.5 back. So i tell myself 1/4 done, 1/2 done, 3/4 done, just a little further. Left right left right left right. Quick latch on to the runner running by you, keep up with them till the end.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    I watch the time too. Good ideas y'all! So glad I started this thread!
  • Bombbombgo
    Options
    "Movement causes motivation" or "mind over matter" over and over....
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I think, I can make it "this much" longer, then when I get there, I think wow, I feel good, I know I can make it "this much longer" before I know it,s been an hour and I either still feel good or feel like puking, I have made it 7 miles in 77 minutes so far.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I focus on milestones....that next telephone pole...that crack in the road....the next corner. And then once you get there, you just set another short milestone. I find that when I have "hit the wall", if I can just go another couple of minutes, I'm wondering why I was so tired a while back!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    Options
    I think, I can make it "this much" longer, then when I get there, I think wow, I feel good, I know I can make it "this much longer" before I know it,s been an hour and I either still feel good or feel like puking, I have made it 7 miles in 77 minutes so far.

How awesome!!!
  • thinkitten
    Options
    When i get to that point i tell myself i can stop after that car goes past you because 'you don't want those people to think you cant run', this is one of the perks of running next to a main road the cars never stop coming so i don't stop running till I'm done.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I make myself speed up, telling myself if I can't take it, I'll at least have a reason to slow down...