body pump question!

Options
Hey everyone :)
I was wondering if using a heart rate monitor is an accurate way to measure calories burned during this class? I have heard that using a HRM for weight training is in accurate, and that HRM are only accurate for cardio. Or, do you think Body Pump is circuit training, so therefore a heart rate monitor would be pretty accurate?

I'm just thinking in terms of eating my calories back....I don't want my monitor show me (inaccurately) burning a ton of calories, eat that number back and come to find I'm not burning as many as my monitor is leading me to believe.

thanks!!

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be okay either way. Wear the HRM and eat back those calories i you want. Even if it's a little off, the calorie differential won't throw you off track if your eating is in line.
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM to Body Pump class and its matches dead on what Gold's Gym says is the average calorie burn for the class.
  • CharityMiskelly
    Options
    I am not sure about the HRM, but do know the average amount of calories burned in a 60 min bodypump class is around 530, if you are lifting close to your maximum. That's what I typically estimate for a pump class.