Snack binge HELP!

Options
Please, someone give me some good advice on what to do about my snacking problem!!! You can look at my diary if you want an idea of how my days go. My meals are almost always very planned and healthy. I don't do much snacking UNTIL I get home and late at night....all those "snacks' listed are usually after 8-9pm until midnight. I HATE IT. I don't know why I do it, I really don't know how to stop. I'll have one snack and it doesn't feel like enough so I have more....and it's not because I'm hungry, it's just because I want to taste something good. Yes, I've tried snacking on healthy foods....but I still have that craving for something sweet...and then sometimes it's more and more sweet stuff....and I completely binge on like 5 different things and go way over my calories! UGHHHH. I'm transitioning to a vegan diet so I'm trying to clear the non-vegan foods out of my house for the most part. PLEASE, someone help!

Replies

• SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Don't get down on yourself. It is energy your body will use. Look at your food diary and figure out if you at enough protein or if you ate some sugar that made you monsterously hungry. Try to figure out what triggered you. A nutritionist told me that the body knows no time, it is just energy. When I make an error, I think of the fact that my coach used to have us each a bunch of carbs before a big meet. I forgive myself and plan to do more activity tomorrow to compensate. It is best to enjoy your treat and not beat yourself up. Be kind & gentle with yourself. Best, Susan
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's not just like once a week tho, I do it at least a few times a week and I go way over my calories, not just by a bit. I also eat a bunch of junk, not just a few licorice strips....it's like jelly beans....then some chocolate....then 2 cookies....then some chips.
  • stevenparrott
    Options
    My gut tells me that perhaps your meals aren't filling enough. You may not be hungry but your getting cravings. I find that when my meals are to small I snack more. Keep on thing in mind, your overall successful. You have lost weight and if occasionally you go over your calorie limit it is not the end of the world. Always remember to give your self credit for your success not just blame for your failures.
  • bdelossantos
    bdelossantos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I put a piece of Extra Sugar Free Apple Pie gum in my mouth and get on the treadmill when it is late and I feel like snacking. DO some activity instead of eating.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, you are not going over your goal everyday. There is a run of days when you are within goal, and you don't seem to go over your goal massively on the days that you do. I would say, you are mainly eating less than 1000 calories in your meals, and increasing this would help immensely, Eat a bigger dinner, and eat it later, so you have less time to snack. Then afterwards, have a piece of fruit and some yoghurt to add something sweet and filling. Allow yourself one treat per evening, and just buy in one treat, if that is possible, so that you cannot eat a load of snacks. I try and buy just one small chocolate bar, one portion of ice cream/frozen yoghurt or one mini cheesecake, for example then there is no choice to eat loads of snacks.

As to binges, I managed to get through 6 ice creams tonight as well as about 1/2 a kilo of chocolate, now that is when you need to really start worrying, lol.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I think I may have to cut it out completely for awhile, just go cold turkey. The problem is I try to "avoid" it all day with the hopes of a treat later...but then I go overboard. So I think if it just say no completely, it may break the addiction.
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    I like to stick with popcorn (air popped or 100 calorie packs) for my late night snack. It takes longer to eat, and with a glass of water it can really fill you up. I think it is better to snack on something that takes time, so something so light and bulky, or something like pistachios, are a great option.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I plan my next day's workout at night, which motivates me to stay away from mindless snacking at night...I want to put the calories that I burn the next day to use towards progressing to my weight goal, not to do "damage control" on the tons of snacking I did the night before...best of luck! :)