How much do you spend on food per week?

Options

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Just me, 1 person, 150-200 a week.

This is about right for me, too. Closer to the 200 mark. I've tried to spend less, but it doesn't work.
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Family of Five = $200 a week, mostly fresh, clean, lean foods, with the occasional treat my hubby and kids eat. We live on an island and getting fresh foods here cost a bit more than on the mainland. We rarely eat out.
  • kendra0224
    Options
    For our family of 4 (my husband, myself, a 3 yr old and 1 yr old) we spend 500 a month. Sometimes it is a little more, but i mostly try to buy sale items.
  • insatiable_need
    insatiable_need Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    For my husband and I, it averages out to around $75-90 per week. I'm working on getting it a little lower since we're not eating out more than once a month (unless he buys something small while he's on his break at work).
  • minnesota_deere
    minnesota_deere Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    les than $150.00 per week. wife,me, 4yr old, and 11 month old which is the most expensive with formula. i can't stand this but Sams Club owns us. we eat what they sell and nothing else. its way to expensive in a "grocery store" for the similar food. don't care if its boxed or frozen its still food and tastes fine to me. very seldom go out to eat, i can nuke it just as good as applebees without the attitude from the staff.
  • kendra0224
    Options
    Since my hubby is deployed it's just me and my son and I spend about $75 a week! Thank God for the commissary!!!!!!!!!!!

I shop at the commissary too! I was going to Kroger for a while, but only when I was using a lot of coupons and getting stuff for really cheap. I got lazy, so no more Kroger! lol
  • Campbell4Top
    Campbell4Top Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    $170 a week for myself, my husband and two toddlers. We never go out, only eat organic and natural foods. However, we live near Seattle so there are many health food stores and organic farms to buy from.
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    For myself its around 100 a week. I have a little market where I buy my fruits and veggies and I shop frequently for sales on my meats and dairy. I also look at sales flyers for sales.
  • LenaMena87
    LenaMena87 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Since my hubby is deployed it's just me and my son and I spend about $75 a week! Thank God for the commissary!!!!!!!!!!!

I shop at the commissary too! I was going to Kroger for a while, but only when I was using a lot of coupons and getting stuff for really cheap. I got lazy, so no more Kroger! lol

The commissary saves my life every time! The stores out in town here are too expensive. Walmart included...
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Around £60 a week, I guess.
    I tend to buy tofu, fresh fish, eggs, soups, beans, microwave or frozen veggies, Total (fagi) yoghurt, milk, hot chocolate, rice noodles, sweet potatoes, canned tuna and sardines, cottage cheese, some chocolate or ice cream portions and occasionally peanut butter. That pretty much does me fine.

I already have brown rice, quinoa and wholewheat pasta in stock so don't need those right now.
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    60 a week family of 4. Got this couponing thing down to a science. I have even learned to coupon at the local co-op.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of canning and freezing.. We are a family of 6.. We spend 300 every 2 weeks.. I meal plan and am able on that budget to cook healthy meals for my family..

This. We have our own veggie garden every year that I can carrots, peas, beans, tomatoes, sauces, etc from. $300 is our goal per paycheck 2x a month) but after we buy cleaners, and the occasional new shirt/pants/socks for the kids, it always ends up being just a bit more.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options

The commissary saves my life every time! The stores out in town here are too expensive. Walmart included...

The commissary is the best! It's certainly one thing I miss about being active duty Army lol. We used to spend $130 every paycheck for a family of four, and that included taking out euro for the marktplatz.
  • sweettthings
    sweettthings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I spend approximately $30 a week at the farmer's market for fruits and vegetables. approximately $300 a month at the grocery store and approximately $100 a month at Trader Joe's. So that works out to about $130.00 a week to feed 3 people. That doesn't include eating out, which we do about once a week (about $50-$120 more per week, depending on where we eat).

The grocery store number includes non-food items too, so overall number is probably closer to $120 a week. We do okay. I wish we could afford higher quality meats.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I don't even want to know!!! :P I shop at Whole Foods and buy organic, so probably a lot. But it's worth it to me. A lot cheaper than the hospital bill I'm still paying off...
  • 2kidsandadonut
    2kidsandadonut Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I shop once a month at the grocery store and stock up. Usually, it comes to around 200. However, my husband eats at work and my son eats lunch at school. So that means that everyone only eats breakfast (usually cereal) and dinner together. I also spend around 100-200 per month on Schwan's. So all together for a family of four it is about 300-400 a month. I also grow a garden in the summer for fresh veggies and I will spend around 10 every other week for fresh fruit and veggies. (always buy the stuff in season!) However, if I plan and actually try to cook more around my house (which I get the bug occasionally) I can go through a month spending less than 150. But that takes a great deal of work and time (and coupons!)
  • silkribbonx
    silkribbonx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I go grocery shopping biweekly, spending roughly $100 each trip.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    1200 to 1500 a month...my mortgage is way more than that but it's annoying!!! We don't eat out much though...I have 3 boys...family of 5 😊!

I'm obviously shopping incorrectly after reading these other replies!!!!
  • alheimurinn
    alheimurinn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually added it all up as we tend to go to the store multiple times throughout the week. What we've been spending on groceries as we've changed our diets for the better has most definitely gone up, but where I'm drinking alcohol less and eating out far less than we did before, I don't think it's really too much more than it was previously!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I spend £30 on food, per week, just for me. £40 a week if I include toiletries and cleaning products.

£160 a month.

My fiance gets by on £10 a week, or around £40 a month.

So, between us, that's £200 a month. Our rent is £600 a month. Just the two of us though - no kids to feed yet!