*Not* counting calories?....

Options
So I have been browsing Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet book, which includes the principals I've been generally following in terms of eating small meals consisting of only healthy, natural foods ever 2-3 hours, drinking a lot of water, avoiding processed foods and sugars and bad carbs, etc.

Well, she says not to count calories and that you'll lose weight as long as you eat only whole natural foods. I was also watching this show on BBC last night called You Are What You Eat and the main lady had the same philosophy... eat plenty of fruits and veggies and only natural foods (although they ate a lot of stuff on there that I don't think I could stomach, like celery and cucumber juice) and you will lose weight without counting calories or anything.

I just don't think I could do this because I am so used to counting calories to get results and because I also like to keep track of my protein intake (which I keep at at least 100g/day because I run a lot), and my protein-fat-carb ratio etc.

What do the rest of you think?

Replies

• dbg1
    dbg1 Posts: 208
    Options
    I agree. The counting of calories helps those of us who need help converting to bette eating habits. Years of bad need to be replaced with years of good. Once I have made attained my goal and maintained it a few years, with the lifestyle change, then I probably won't need to count.
  • Helen43
    Helen43 Posts: 43
    Options
    If you only eat raw, natural foods, they may be right. However, how many of us will follow that 100%? I personnally NEED to track. I was in denial about how and why I am overweight, I eat lots of natural and raw foods... and other things. Obviously, I have a problem with quantity, not the quality of the food I eat. My vote is for counting calories. Just my 2 cents. :flowerforyou:
  • mick243
    mick243 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been on numerous diets, but never one that has ever worked until now. Since I have been using Myfitnesspal.com and actually entering my calories I have lost 12 pounds. I think it is a big help in counting the calories!
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all. DGB, I think it's a great idea to count calories until we have lost and maintained for awhile at where we want to be... then I'm thinking it will be second nature to eat healthy, just like it used to be second nature to eat unhealthy.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One can eat all natural and still eat too many calories--I agree that counting calories is better for people who need to learn what a serving size is.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    I agree with you ladies:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: no matter I have to count calories until Ive trained myself completely when I get down to my goal weight
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i learn something new everyday when i am counting calories and mainly i am getting much better at making good decisions about what i am eating....every calorie counts! it is good to know how many calories are in certains foods because then my opnion changes about them. it is important to think about what you eat.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I've done basically clean eating and I've tracked. Now I do both. It just works for me. Now that I'm in maintenance I don't track *every* day. But I do know pretty much every detail of every food that I eat (I'm a bit OCD on stuff like that! :laugh: ).

I like having the freedom that I don't *have* to be tied to MFP, but it does keep me honest and accountable to keep track of what I am eating. I found last year that the pounds were starting to creep back on without really realizing it when I wasn't tracking.

Good luck on your alcohol hiatus. I personally don't drink already, so no need to cut it out. :laugh:
  • neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've done both. I've done basically clean eating and I've tracked. Now I do both. It just works for me. Now that I'm in maintenance I don't track *every* day. But I do know pretty much every detail of every food that I eat (I'm a bit OCD on stuff like that! :laugh: ).

I like having the freedom that I don't *have* to be tied to MFP, but it does keep me honest and accountable to keep track of what I am eating. I found last year that the pounds were starting to creep back on without really realizing it when I wasn't tracking.

Good luck on your alcohol hiatus. I personally don't drink already, so no need to cut it out. :laugh:

There are definitely some days that I can't track, like when I'm traveling or camping, etc., and I do feel a little bit too tied down to MFP. I actually switched to thedailyplate :sad: only because it lets me access it from my Blackberry (I still come here for the forums and I like the community here!). But I hate being tied down to my Blackberry when I'm on vacation etc. so at times like that I try to write down what I eat and estimate calories (I eat a lot of the same food so I have it down pretty well now :wink: ) or I just don't track but then I get nervous. I'm OCD about that too.

You're lucky you didn't drink already, I never should have started! I think back about what I've done to my body since college and I'm like, ewwww. Time for major damage control!!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

There are definitely some days that I can't track, like when I'm traveling or camping, etc., and I do feel a little bit too tied down to MFP. I actually switched to thedailyplate :sad: only because it lets me access it from my Blackberry (I still come here for the forums and I like the community here!). But I hate being tied down to my Blackberry when I'm on vacation etc. so at times like that I try to write down what I eat and estimate calories (I eat a lot of the same food so I have it down pretty well now :wink: ) or I just don't track but then I get nervous. I'm OCD about that too.

You're lucky you didn't drink already, I never should have started! I think back about what I've done to my body since college and I'm like, ewwww. Time for major damage control!!

Yeah, traveling is tougher. I have a blackberry also, I know some people have figured out how to track on MFP from theirs. I haven't used mine to track either. I do try to just write it down on paper, at least I don't *lose* track and then end up way out of control! I did great while on vacation in June.

I'm sure you will see a big difference from cutting out alcohol! So many calories you will save. :bigsmile:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    YES. Then it's Ezekiel bread with natural PB and homemade apricot jam for me ALL DAY! :bigsmile:

I think there is a lot of merit in eating natural foods and eating in response to hunger rather than boredom or cravings, but there are few people that can forego calorie tracking and follow those principles and get steady, productive fat loss and muscle maintenance. You always have to put out more than you take in, regardless of how nutritious your intake is.