OK....I need help....

Options
I'm very sad this morning,:cry: I weighed in this morning and NOTHING:grumble: Not even .5.... WHAT? I stopped walking this week (I was doing 5 miles a night) and started doing the elliptical. It says I burn the same or more calories in 30 minutes vs 90 minutes. I sweat twice as much and feel better. I try to eat my excercise calories but I never know if I'm going to get a full workout until I finish (I work, have two toddlers, etc). When I lost my weight in 20's at WW I was eating less calories than I am now. My BMR is in the 1400 range and they have me 1200 calories and losing 1.2lbs a week.
OK my questions (rather than my rants above)...

Should I eat after my workouts to consume more calories even though I don't finish my workouts till after 9 pm and go to bed between 10-10:30?

Scales?? Can anyone recommend a good one, I want it to go in tenths (my only does half lbs) and any little move down will help encourage me

I'm terrified to up my calories this week and gain! I've lost 50lbs before and if I track my food, excercise and stay within a certain number I lose. Would I really need to eat more food in my 30's than in my 20's? I lost 50 lbs eating 18 WW points a day which equals to around 900-1100 calories, why am I not losing? (Yes I read all the posts regarding eating more.....my brain does not get it)

Should I up my workouts to 60 or 90 minutes?? I'm afraid to do more cause of all the food I'm supposed to consume. It does not feel natural to me to stuff my face to lose:blushing:

I have opened myself up to criticism and opened my food diary for people to look at. Just be nice, I'm trying hard to be healthy for my kids and set good examples at dinner, etc.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who answers and gives any support/advice.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Should you eat after your workouts after 9pm? Eating late is fine unless you have indigestion.

I recommend the scale a the doctor's office. At home use a pair of skinny jeans to measure your progress.

No need to work out more. As long as you stay with mfp guidelines you should lose weight. But you could at intervals and strength training to your workout if you have not already.

Have you not lost anything since you've been on mfp or has it been just this week. Everyone's weight comes off differently. Some lose every week, some every 10 days, sometimes the weight will not come off for 4-6 then all at once or within a 2-3 day period. So don't fret. weigh again in 2-3 weeks and get those skinny jeans out.:flowerforyou:

Maybe someone else will chime.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3616--i-though-i-was-doing-this-right-so-why-am-i-gaining?hl=too+much+exercise&page=1#posts-22906
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    I recommend the WW scale.
    I bought mine from Sears.
    It is very accurate.
    I attend WW meetings and ours match exactly to the 0.2 degree.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I am sticking to eating around 1,200 calories per day and not changing my intake based on my exercise. My doctor told me to burn off more than I eat, so I am trying that route to see how it goes.

I am doing Beachbody's Slim in 6 DVD workout's and I love them. I would love to lose about 50 pounds, but I don't know if it's realistic. I've kept up with my 1,200 calorie eating, water intake and workouts this week and I'm feeling great.

As for scales, I have the same mindset as you - I NEED to see results to keep myself going. I bought the WW scale at Wal-Mart which gives your weight to the tenth of a pound (or maybe two tenths). Have you done all your measurements so you can SEE if you are losing weight? I measured my chest, waist, hips, rt arm, lt arm, rt thigh, and lt thigh.

I'm looking for a few workout buddies so we can help each other through our journey's. Let me know if you'd like to buddy up and help keep each other motivated! :flowerforyou:
    9726172000 Posts: 428
    Options
    If you are changing up your excercise routine then it can take anywhere from 2-3 weeks before you start to see results and that can be very frustrating. The epi is a very good cardio machine, but if you really want to up your metabilizm to burn more cals. and to help with weight loss then try doing sprints during your cardio time on the epi. What this is you would go at your normal speed like you have been for about 3 minutes then from 10 seconds or more you would go full out then you would go back to your normal speed for 3 minutes and then for 10 seconds go full out. You would keep this up until your time is up.
    I wouldn't eat a full meal after your workout at 9 p.m but I would have a small healthy snack. Try not to go below the recommened 1200 net cals to often. If you do it to much it can really slow your metabizim.
  • boojaboo
    Options
    Have you considered that you may have hit the wall? Try changing your exercise regimine and your food choices. If you ride an eliptical, try areobics, doing yoga, try pilates... I have metabolic isuues and my body fights weight loss. I just started using the book, The Flat Belly Diet. I'm down 10lbs in 3 weeks. You eat 4 small meals a day. I am actually up in my calorie count, but burning more of it during the day, and no you should not eat that late at night. Your metabolism slows down while you sleep, your food will take longer to digest, and you will not burn as many calories. BTW, you are doing great. Keep up the good work. Best wishes-M
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Any other scale advice?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Mamakatspokane
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    I saw a nutritionist this week and she told me no one should go below 1200 calories, that there is no added benefit and it can actually backfire. If you are trying to lose weight she said to subtract 500 from my calories I burn just being alive (http://calorieneedscalculator.com/) and that will equal 1 lb a week weight loss not counting excercise. If that number is less than 1200 she said to use 1200. Then my goal is to burn 1750-3500 calories a week in exercise which should result in an additional 1/2-1lb weight loss per week. As another person said you might just be hitting a temporary wall. Give your body a little time to adjust and I bet it will come around. Good luck.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My advice on a scale...

I don't really think it matters how "accurate" it is as long as you do your weekly (or whatever) weigh ins on the SAME one. If it's off by 4 lbs...it's going to be off by 4 lbs next week too...so even if you don't know your ACTUAL weight you can still see your progress!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Should I eat after my workouts to consume more calories even though I don't finish my workouts till after 9 pm and go to bed between 10-10:30? PROBABLY NOT-BUT MAYBE SOME CHOCOLATE MILK

Scales?? Can anyone recommend a good one, I want it to go in tenths (my only does half lbs) and any little move down will help encourage me MINE IS A WEIGHT WATCHERS BRAND I REALLY LIKE IT - GOT IT AT KMART - IT ACTUALLY CAN BE PROGRAMED TO SHOW WHAT YOU'VE LOST

I'm terrified to up my calories this week and gain! I've lost 50lbs before and if I track my food, excercise and stay within a certain number I lose. Would I really need to eat more food in my 30's than in my 20's? I lost 50 lbs eating 18 WW points a day which equals to around 900-1100 calories, why am I not losing? (Yes I read all the posts regarding eating more.....my brain does not get it)--I TOTALLY AGREE THIS IS THE TOUGHEST MENTAL BLOCK I'VE FACED TO...BUT AS YOU GET CLOSER TO YOUR GOAL YOUR BODY DEMANDS MORE THAN 1200

Should I up my workouts to 60 or 90 minutes?? I'm afraid to do more cause of all the food I'm supposed to consume. It does not feel natural to me to stuff my face to lose:blushing: --GIVE THE ELLIPTICAL A COUPLE WEEKS - WHEN YOU CHANGE YOUR PROGRAM IT TAKES YOUR BODY TIME TO ADJUST - MAYBE ALTERNATE BETWEEN WALKING AND THE ELLIPTICAL - JUST GO CRAZY MIXING IT UP--ADD SOME STRENGTH IN THERE!

HOPE THAT'S HELPFUL....
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I think your calories & exercise look fine. Could sodium be an issue?
    On your diary, there are many packaged foods = mucho sodium! :grumble:

I'd add sodium & sugar to your chart to watch those counts as well.

Good luck! You're doing great! :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I am sticking to eating around 1,200 calories per day and not changing my intake based on my exercise. My doctor told me to burn off more than I eat, so I am trying that route to see how it goes.

Using MFP, you still have a caloric deficit when you eat your exercise calories.

to the original poster: I have the WW scale and it's very accurate--it matches the one at the gym. I think it's ok to eat late at night--but if you feel you can't, just have a light snack and then incorporate the remaining exercise calories into your breakfast the next morning. Another thing to consider is that you may be adding muscle mass so this may affect your weight, ie the scale will not go down as much, but you will be physically smaller--use the skinny jeans as suggested or a tape measure to monitor progress.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    Thanks chrissyh & barbarella! I appreciate the advice and support.
    The pre-packaged food thing is hard for me with my busy schedule & kids but I will take a look at it, thank you!
    OK, I think I'm brain dead but how does my body need more calories the closer I get to goal???
    Thanks again to all!
    Looks like a WW scale is the winner! I'll have to go support my old employer :)
  • Iffer75
    Iffer75 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I know that time is an issue, so my suggestion is to plan your meals ahead of time. Maybe Sunday evening before the week starts. That is what I normally do. Also, try to stay away from processed foods, there is a lot of sodium there. Try fresh fruits in the morning and veggies in the afternoon. I would definetly not suggest eating a large meal after you workout at 9pm. Try a recovery drink. What I have been doing is drinking is 8.5 oz of the G2 Gatorade and 1 scoop of whey protien. It will help with muscle soreness. Try to eat about an hour before you workout, so as not to crash during your workout.
    Also, you really need to break up your calories a little more. It is highly recommended that you eat 5 small meals a day. Try almonds for your afternoon snack and maybe a good greek 0% fat free yogurt for your morning snack. Alot of people like the Fage, I actually have the Oikos and I love it. Fresh fruit in the morning is better than in the afternoon, since there are a lot of sugars in them. It is harder to burn off in the afternoon, it is better to give your body the whole day to burn them off. Salad with dinner is a great way to get in more veggies. Put cauliflower and brocolli in it. There is this great dressing spritzer that you can find in the dressing isle. It is only 1 calorie per spray. I love the Balsamic Viniagerette.
    Don't forget to try to get in at least 30 mins of exercise 3 to 5 times a week. I know it is hard at first, but once you get into the routine your body will thrive on it. Also, make sure you change up your routine every few weeks to keep your body guessing. Muscle confusion is the key.
    I know it is a lot to take in when you are just starting out, so just take it one day at a time. You can do this and this site is amazing for any and all the help that you might need. I wish you the best of luck in your journey to a happier an healthier lifestyle. :bigsmile:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    So how many cal, net are u eating per day?
    Do u feel hungry?
    Are u eating enough...enough good fats/protein?

I don't know how some of u gals do it
    I burn roughly 500-600 cals a day and eat about 2000 cals..I just lowered my cals to 1750 because I gained a few this summer and I'm feeling pretty hungry
  • pasclaur
    Options
    Have you thought about incorporating some resistance training to your exercise?
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    I know that time is an issue, so my suggestion is to plan your meals ahead of time. Maybe Sunday evening before the week starts. That is what I normally do. Also, try to stay away from processed foods, there is a lot of sodium there. Try fresh fruits in the morning and veggies in the afternoon. I would definetly not suggest eating a large meal after you workout at 9pm. Try a recovery drink. What I have been doing is drinking is 8.5 oz of the G2 Gatorade and 1 scoop of whey protien. It will help with muscle soreness. Try to eat about an hour before you workout, so as not to crash during your workout.
    Also, you really need to break up your calories a little more. It is highly recommended that you eat 5 small meals a day. Try almonds for your afternoon snack and maybe a good greek 0% fat free yogurt for your morning snack. Alot of people like the Fage, I actually have the Oikos and I love it. Fresh fruit in the morning is better than in the afternoon, since there are a lot of sugars in them. It is harder to burn off in the afternoon, it is better to give your body the whole day to burn them off. Salad with dinner is a great way to get in more veggies. Put cauliflower and brocolli in it. There is this great dressing spritzer that you can find in the dressing isle. It is only 1 calorie per spray. I love the Balsamic Viniagerette.
    Don't forget to try to get in at least 30 mins of exercise 3 to 5 times a week. I know it is hard at first, but once you get into the routine your body will thrive on it. Also, make sure you change up your routine every few weeks to keep your body guessing. Muscle confusion is the key.
    I know it is a lot to take in when you are just starting out, so just take it one day at a time. You can do this and this site is amazing for any and all the help that you might need. I wish you the best of luck in your journey to a happier an healthier lifestyle. :bigsmile:
    Thanks Jennifer, I feel like I do do most of those things, I eat veggie's every night with dinner and as snacks throughout the day, I use the spray dressing, I exercise 5 to 6 days a week doing cardio and strength (mixing arms/legs/abs on different days). I also have my calories more broken up than my food diary, I need to change my meals to reflect how I actually eat, I just throw them on there to calculate my cals. I've actually been eating less fruit/veggie snacks to try to get more cals in...but I prefer the fruits/veggies as snacks. I will try putting a fruit in my breakfast :0) Thanks!
    Pasclaur - Thanks, I just added resistance training this week..I didn't have time when I was walking for 90 minutes every night :)
    Kimber507 - I don't feel hungry :( I eat around 1200-1300 a day...Usually closer to the 1200 than the 1300 :( I've been trying to eat well balanced but I will take another look at my numbers.
    Thanks everyone!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Options
    :laugh: Don't look at my food diary now! I just updated it to look like how I eat and it looks like I don't eat dinner since I changed it:tongue: