10 days in 1 bowel movement

Options

Replies

• MOS3
    MOS3 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I would recommend pleny of water, fiber (all bran of porrige oats) keep moving - brisk walking or running and flaxseed (2 table spoons with your breakfast cereal. Also prunes - as they are a natural laxative.
  • Petskies101
    Options
    Ok not totally comfortable with sharing my food dairy, however this is what I have eaten today I am yet to eat dinner which will be chicken breast and salad with sauteed mushrooms and onion. I think I need to increase my water intake..

Great Value - Raw Sugar, 1 tsp 15 4 0 0 0 0 I
    Miricle - Cholesterol Free Spread, 10 g 49 0 6 0 36 0
    Kraft - Vegimite, 10 g 20 0 0 3 348 0
    Dairy Farmers - New Milk (2% Fat), 20 ml 10 1 0 1 9 0
    Dilmah - Premium Ceylon, 2 g (1 bag) 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Gold Max - Soft Grain, 2 slices (60g) 159 29 2 5 240 2
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    253 34 8 9 633 2
    Lunch
    Salad - Baby Mixed Greens, 2 cups 10 2 0 1 43 1
    Tomatoes - Red, ripe, raw, year round average, 1 small whole (2-2/5" dia) 16 4 0 1 5 1
    Cucumber - With peel, raw, 0.5 cup slices 8 2 0 0 1 0 Ico_delete
    Generic - Pumpkin, Average All Types, Flesh Only, No Fat, Baked, 101 g (1piece=g) 47 8 1 3 1 2
    Generic - Soft Boiled Egg, 1.5 egg 105 2 8 9 98 0
    Carrots - Raw, 0.25 small (5-1/2" long) 5 1 0 0 9 0
    Kraft - Fat Free French Salad Dressing, 0.5 Tbsp 11 3 0 0 73 0
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    202 22 9 14 230 4
    Dinner
    Add Food
    Quick Tools

Snacks
    Yoplait Orginial 99% Fat Free - French Vanilla Yogurt, 0.5 container (6 oz) 85 17 1 3 43 0
    Iga - Traditional Hot Cross Bun, 1.5 bun 356 0 0 0 0 0
    Real Foods - Corn Thins: Original, 4 slices (12g) 92 17 1 2 62 2
    Dilmah - Premium Ceylon, 2 g (1 bag) 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Great Value - Raw Sugar, 1 tsp 15 4 0 0 0 0
    Dairy Farmers - New Milk (2% Fat), 20 ml 10 1 0 1 9 0
    Oranges - Raw, navels, 0.75 fruit (2-7/8" dia) 51 13 0 1 1 2
    Apples - Raw, with skin, 1 small (2-1/2" dia) (approx 4 per lb) 55 15 0 0 1 3
    Add Food
    Quick Tools
    664 67 2 7 116 7

Totals 1,119 123 19 30 979 13
    Your Daily Goal 2,063 283 68 77 2,500 24
    Remaining 944 160 49 47 1,521 11
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    *You've earned 413 extra calories from exercise today
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    I have lost about 10lbs since i started, which was less than 2 weeks. I too did a 180 change from fatty foofoo to healthy hobo. I did consult my doctor and all he mentioned was that I didn't give my body time to adjust to my new lifestyle. I dont mean to scare you, but then again it all depends on your diet, I went a week ,too, without a bowel movement and then just a couple days ago, if you read my previous posts, I have had really bad piles. So just becareful of what you eat. To help regulate, I usually have oatmeal and fruit in the morning, i try to incorporate beans and more vegies, then I have water based soup in the evening. If that still doesn't make you go, try some warm milk in the morning or like my fellow mfp's replied to my issue, metamucil (great fiber).

*Just an FYI, although I feel like I did have something similar to your issue, we both are different people and can react differently. So what everyone else says, consult your doc first.

I HOPE ALL GOES WELL!

ps: if u need a friend, i check in daily and love to support!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Enema!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think you need to give your body a bit of time to get used to the dietary change. also make sure you're drinking enough water and other liquids as others have suggested. also probiotics might be helpful

i think eventually you may find with your new diet that you'll be going almost as many times as you eat meals. stock up on TP :laugh:
  • guamSUPERgirl90
    Options
    i think you need to give your body a bit of time to get used to the dietary change. also make sure you're drinking enough water and other liquids as others have suggested. also probiotics might be helpful

i think eventually you may find with your new diet that you'll be going almost as many times as you eat meals. stock up on TP :laugh:

LOL! yes, Now that Im a regular at the john, toilet paper has moved up to the priority list.
  • Don't be embarrassed. I usually have a BM just once in 2 weeks. =/
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    First - Congratulations!!! :flowerforyou:
    Good on you for taking this challenge on and making these changes! What a wonderful thing you're doing for yourself! It's hellacious hard work; but so, so worth it! Three cheers for you!!! :smile: :happy: :flowerforyou:

Losing 10 lbs in a week is pefectly normal *if* you have a hundred or so pounds to lose *and* it's your very first week of dieting after a drastic change from decidedly unhealthy eating habits. Which you do and it is, so no worries* there.

(*Lose 10 lbs again *next* week, maybe some worries. Lose 10 lb again the week after that, and it'd definitely be time for a few worries.)

Okay, I have no idea what's going on with your bowel, and think you should put in call to your doctor so he or she can decide whether it's worth worrying about. (As someone with more a hundred lb to lose, I worry sometimes that if I had a smallish intestinal swelling or something that would be easily apparent on someone of normal weight, I might not even notice because there's, er, so much of me in the way. :huh: Note that this is *NOT* a medical opinion, just my own personal fat-person's mental maunderings.)

If you're not drinking about 2 liters of water a day, doing so can help a lot of things. And oatmeal for breakfast has never yet failed me in the "moving things along" dept.

Speaking of which, I don't think you mentioned whether you'd been exercising. If not, and if you're up for a gentle 15-20 minute walk, that could also help get things moving.

Totals 1,119 123 19 30 979 13
    Your Daily Goal 2,063 283 68 77 2,500 24
    Remaining 944 160 49 47 1,521 11
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Fiber
    IMHO, food-wise, you seem to be doing very well overall. :smile:

I hope you'll forgive me for going all math-geek over the food diary info you were brave enough to share. Since you hadn't eaten dinner yet, I'm guessing that you were probably 60 to 70% of the way through your food day. I've compared that to how far you were from your daily goals.

(Note: I'm a math geek, but not a nutritionist. The following opinions are just that - my personal opinions. Your Mileage - and that of everyone else on this message board :ohwell: - May Vary.)

Calories: 54% :happy:
    So if you ate another 35% worth of your daily calorie goal at dinner (722 cal), you'd be at 89% of your calorie goal. Pretty darned good.

Carbs: 67% :smile:
    Another 35% of your daily carb goal (99 g) would put you at 102%. Over, but only just barely. Pretty good.

Fat: 28% :huh:
    Another 35% worth of your daily fat goal (24 cal) would be only 63%, or 43 grams. That's probably okay, but - in addition to there being a maximum amount of fat that our bodies can use or even process - there is a minimum amount of fat that our bodies absolutely need. For me, it's about 45 g/day, so I'd just be barely getting by on that amount. YM - and your fat - MV. :smile:

Protein: 39% :huh:
    Another 35% worth of your daily protein goal (27 cal) would bring you to just 75% (58 gm). The way I understand this, minimum daily protein consumption for women should be at least 0.8 g per kg of goal weight. For me at a GW of 169 lb (77 kg), that's 61 grams, so I'd be getting just a little less than enough.

(I'm skipping the sodium, but you seemed to be doing fine with that. :smile: )

Fiber: 34% :indifferent:
    If you got another 35% worth of your daily fiber goal at dinner (9 g), that'd only get you to 69%, or 16 g. That could be a big part of the "no No. 2" problem. Oatmeal, with raisins for additional fiber fortitude, is my remedy of choice; but you might also consider a fiber supplement like Metamucil.

Anyway, my humble two cent's worth. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I recommend sipping a large bottle of mineral water throughout the day and, if you haven't had the urge for a BM by the end of the bottle, try a double espresso or a good cup of coffee. And, of course, a good brisk walk around the block.

The mineral water is great for getting things moving and a little jolt of caffeine can sometimes makes difference, too!

My wife and I have both used this process on various occasions.

Hope it helps!
  • zeeeb
    zeeeb Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    i got a similar thing when i first started. when i was eating loads, my bowel movements were very regular. then when i stopped eating so much, it slowed it down. so i started eating a few dried prunes every day (3-4). that was enough to get things moving.

i also have the occasional glass of benefiber when i feel like i need a bit of a shake up.
  • jankleberry
    jankleberry Posts: 508
    Options
    Just make sure you're drinking enough water. A lot of people find when they increase their fiber they get constipated since there's all that bulk and they're not drinking enough water to push it through easily. At least that's what my nurse husband just told me when I was like, "10 days no sh-- bowel movement"

this
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    If you increase your fiber, make sure you increase your water, as well. Otherwise they can get stuck in there. Also, make sure you have soluble fiber, not just insoluble fiber.
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Not a medical professional, this is just a personal opinion

No, this isnt normal. When I go on heavy fruits and veggies diet, I have more regular BM rather than fewer...Not sure what your situation is but you may wanna talk to a doctor or something at this point

Same here. I did a similar major change in my diet and have had more regular BM... I would talk to your doctor. & 10lbs in 10days is a bit unhealthey and high too =/

When ever I start on a new diet after eating normal and some un healthy food I drop up to 10lbs in 7 days. This is when I am eating all my calories and being healthy. It is not un usual for some people to have a large weightloss at the start. I also dont gain it back. I just carry on with my new eating regime.

I have had quite a few BM problems and eat loads of fibre and fruit and veggies. I have started taking a fibergel sachet in the mornings and found this has helped. Well done on your excellent weightloss and keep up the good work x
  • Luandanielle1979
    Luandanielle1979 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: Not a medical professional, this is just a personal opinion

No, this isnt normal. When I go on heavy fruits and veggies diet, I have more regular BM rather than fewer...Not sure what your situation is but you may wanna talk to a doctor or something at this point

Same here. I did a similar major change in my diet and have had more regular BM... I would talk to your doctor. & 10lbs in 10days is a bit unhealthey and high too =/

When ever I start on a new diet after eating normal and some un healthy food I drop up to 10lbs in 7 days. This is when I am eating all my calories and being healthy. It is not un usual for some people to have a large weightloss at the start. I also dont gain it back. I just carry on with my new eating regime.

I have had quite a few BM problems and eat loads of fibre and fruit and veggies. I have started taking a fibergel sachet in the mornings and found this has helped. Well done on your excellent weightloss and keep up the good work x

Oh yes loads and loads of water... this does help x
  • ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This might or might not be ok for you at this point. But 1 BM in 10 days is something that definitely merits a call to your doctor. Explain what you've been doing fully and honestly so he/she can make a proper determination.
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Another vote for WATER- LOTS OF IT. Also, a visit to the doc may be prudent.

But don't be disheartened, bodies take a while to adjust to eating differently. You're on the right track.

And congrats on getting healthy and losing 10lbs!!
  • biancardi
    biancardi Posts: 20
    Options
    I know when I had to go on a low residue diet to prep for surgery, that does reduce the amount of poo in one's diet. You may wish to look at what you are eating and if you are, by accident, following a low residue diet. You can be eating healthy foods on such a diet, btw. However, you shouldn't be on a low residue diet unless your doctor is recommending it for you and you shouldn't be on it long term (again, unless your doctor tells you)

I would say you do need more fiber - I buy items that are higher in fiber now - such as celery, joesph's flax, oat bran and whole wheat pita's, fiber bars, asian pears, oatlmeal, black beans and to top it off, I add ground flax seed to just about everything as well (omega 3 AND fiber!)

I try for about 25 grams of fiber, even though I only eat about 1200 - 1500 calories a day.
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    whoa... time for a trip to the chemist or the doctor. I once went 5 days with no movement after surgery and it honestly made me sick. At this point you are probably going to need a little help to get things moving again.

It is really weird that fruit and veg are having that effect since they usually have the opposite effect for most people.
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It could be the sudden lowering of fat, which can cause your bowels to come to a complete halt. Increase your water as much as you can and if no luck in 2 days, try Pysillium husks in water before going to bed. It gently reminds your bowels what they need to be doing. Avoid any constipation remedies, as these will purge you and cause painful cramping.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I've been constipated twice this year, due to some tablets I was taking. Not pleasant at all. I made sure I increased my fibre somewhat but I also started eating more as at first I wasn't eating back any of my exercise calories, once I did I found it made a change to my bm's the exercise also helped shift it :blushing: