protein shakes

Options
I'm in the UK. I'm thinking of taking protein shakes to help build muscle. It all seems a bit confusing about what shake will be the best. And then how much I should be.taking and when? As I say I'm in UK so any help on purchasing also would be.good.

Replies

• androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use promax or body supreme
  • Julezebub
    Julezebub Posts: 106
    Options
    Hiya Im in UK too. I would say Holland and Barrett is a great place for protein shakes they have loads of different types. I take a soya isolate one from them not so much for muscle gain but maintenance and repair as I'm a vegetarian so don't always get enough protein in my diet. There are all different types for different needs though.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Play.com is pretty good for a selection, and you want one that's high in protein, low in carbs/fat. There are a ton of different flavours around :)
  • Zbigniew1
    Zbigniew1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to add extra protein to your diet, look for something with as few carbs as possible (less than 1:1).

If you're looking for a meal replacement, look for something in the around 1:1 range.

If you're looking for something to drink after a hard workouk, remember that the body needs carbs to refill its glycogen depots, and you should look for something with 2-4x as many carbs as protein.

Most people also seem to agree that the body can only process around 20g protein at any given time, so making a drink, eating a bar with for example 50g protein, would be a waste of money then.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can check out myprotein.com they have a variety of protein formulas for good prices. You usually take 25g with milk or water after a workout but I have one pre-workout too but usually half just to get protein to my muscles as I usually workout in the morning. I personally use Impact Whey Protein as it had the best reviews and I was told it would be the best for what I needed it for. On my protein you can also check out the samples section where you get 25g for 99p to try them out before you buy a big packet/tub so you know you'll like the taste.
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i use powerbeck, 46.8g protein per serving and only 4g carbs, its £28 for 2.5kg and tastes great
    www.powerbeck.com
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I swear by Maximuscle, namely Promax, one of the few protein powders that's made under 60 degrees and therefore doesn't denature like some cheaper ones.
  • esdale81
    esdale81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I use Morinda Bioactives FIT protein shake which is amazing as it also contains Noni fruit extract which is brilliant bioactive that helps with a number of ailments such as arthritis, poor immune system, allergies etc.
    I also take a supplement of 60ml of Noni juice each morning, check out their website www.gononi.com
    Any questions just pm me.
    I hope you find the protein shake that is right for you
    x
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Most people also seem to agree that the body can only process around 20g protein at any given time, so making a drink, eating a bar with for example 50g protein, would be a waste of money then.

This is untrue old school bro science.
  • Nick061981
    Nick061981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a look today while I was out shopping and there are so many different types. So where do I start? I understand I dont want to buy a big tub at first so want to try out before I do get the big one.

Ive lost weight to where I want to be. I now want to bulk up a bit on muscle and gain muscle definition.

any help would be great.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think the key is to buy the smallest tub you can of brand and see if you like the flavor. Otherwise, try another one.

My personal take on it, is buy one with the least amount of ingredients. Looks like you can get Optimum Nutrition in the UK, that is my protein powder of choice (mainly flavor and lack of tons of ingredients)

Protein powder does not in any way enhance muscle growth. It supplies the nutrients needed for it. If you are looking for bulking you might as well just eat protein from normal sources, eggs, milk, meat, etc.
  • Nick061981
    Nick061981 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im working out in the gym, I dont want to bulk up massivly just a little, mainly looking to help improve muscle definition. Maximuscle have so many varients that i dont know whick would be best for me.
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Allmax Allwhey in chocolate is pretty good and the ON chocolate is also pretty good. Everyone raves about the ON but I think I might give the edge to Allmax as far as taste goes.

Edit: also I don't know what stores are available in the UK but I buy from supplementscanada.com over here. Maybe there is a similar local online there?