Help With Apple Pie

Options
Snotori
Snotori Posts: 156
Okay I have this drawer full of apples I'd like to use up before they go bad so I thought what a great time for an apple pie since Easter is just around the corner. The problem I'm running into is I don't have a recipe and I'm not really liking any of the ones I'm finding online. Does anyone have one I might wanna try?

And second question is my husband has lost a lot of weight and yet he loves his treats and has just said he wants to make some cookies etc. So I was wondering if I substituted sugar for splenda would it taste them same in cookies or things? Has anyone ever tried this?

Replies

• torontobaby
    Options
    Apple crisp is healthier than apple pie, you get your apple pie fix without the guilt. I make this a lot, it is good for the sweet tooth craving.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,158160-232204,00.html

Can serve with a bit of vanilla frozen yogurt on the side. I add walnuts into the oatmeal topping too.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Skinny Apple Cobbler
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1 cobbler • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7 pts
    Calories: 261.5 • Fat: 4.7 • Carbs: 56.9 • Fiber: 4.2 • Protein: 1.9 • Sugar: 39.6
    Sodium: 168.1 g

For the Filling:
    2 1/2 lbs Gala apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4" thick*
    1/2 cup agave (or sugar)
    2 tbsp cornstarch
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    pinch of sea salt
    2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1/2 cup water

For the Topping:

1/4 cup King Arthur white whole wheat flour
    1/4 cup King Arthur all purpose flour
    2 tbsp granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    2 tbsp chilled light butter, cut into small pieces (I used Land O Lakes)
    1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
    1 tbsp canola oil
    1 tsp light brown sugar (unpacked)

In a large heavy pot, combine all of the apple filling ingredients and simmer on low heat for about 25 minutes, gently stirring occasionally until the apples are soft. Divide warm apples into 6 (8 oz) ramekins.

Preheat the oven to 400°. In a medium bowl, whisk flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in chilled butter (must be cold) using a pastry cutter (or 2 knives) until pebble-sized pieces are formed.

In a small bowl combine buttermilk and oil; mix well. Add to the dry mixture and mix until just moistened, careful not to over-mix. Spoon the batter over the apples in the ramekins.

Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake 30 minutes, until apples are bubbling and the topping is golden. Let it stand 8 to 10 minutes before eating.

*weight of peeled apples 26.5 oz
  • Snotori
    Options
    OMG... those sound so good thanks you guys :)
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    OMG... those sound so good thanks you guys :)

Your welcome happy Easter
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl has one thats apple, red hots, and graham cracker crumbs. Sure you can find it on the site.
  • philco41
    philco41 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My experiments with Splenda have not been too satisfactory. You have to combine the Splenda with other sugar. They do sell a Splenda mix that's about half and half.
  • DHalaby73
    Options
    My experiments with Splenda have not been too satisfactory. You have to combine the Splenda with other sugar. They do sell a Splenda mix that's about half and half.

Actually Splenda has a brown sugar and Splenda mix for baking
  • Snotori
    Options
    Yea I believe splenda now has a backing sugar and when I was at the store I saw the brown sugar one but in the apple filing part it turned into this nasty gelly stuff that I had to scrap out of the pan but I guess it was good to find out it wasn't the right stuff. I did however use it in the doe but it was so little who knows if it made any difference but the doe is looking good (haven't remade the filling yet). But next time I'm going to get the splenda mix for baking not the normal stuff lol thanks everyone!!! And Happy Easter to you all!!!