Overweight Bicycle Query

Options
I weight 330 currently and really want to ride a bike as part of my exercise.
I bought a Trek 4300 at a yard sale and got it tuned up for around $100.

Well yesterday I tried to get on the bike and the tires/tubes completely compressed. The tires are full. But when I sit on it the bottom completely flattens down to the rim. There is no way I can ride the bike obviously since I weigh too much.

Do any of you know if there is an option to get custom wheels/tires/tubes that can be switched out that would support a heavier weight? Or is my only option to buy a new bike that can handle my weight?

EDIT: The front tire on the bike says it is a Mythos XC 26x2.10, to fit HB 575 Rim. The back tire is a Matrix 790 tire 26x1.95.

I filled them up completely yesterday before I tried getting on it. So the air pressure should have been fine.

Replies

• cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Do you know what kinds of tire set you have? 700x19 is what I use and at full 105 psi, I can support myself, two lap tops, clothes, lots of water(3liters), lunch, and toliteries with out making a dent in the tires.

Get a pump with a tire gauge to make sure you are pumping them up fully.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Yes. The tires should not be a problem. I started riding when I weighed 440. You may have to take your bike to a local bike shop and get it outfitted with some good high pressure tires. I currently weigh about 330, and my tires are 85 PSI tires, and they work fine. You may have problems with your spokes, if they are old. When I started riding, I was breaking spokes every two days. That problem went away when I reached the weight of 380. So, you should be fine there.
  • kevinjbrown
    kevinjbrown Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Absolutely go to your local bike shop. They can help you with the proper tubes/tires and check out your wheels and spokes and give the bike a general inspection. It will be money well spent. Enjoy riding!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I weight 295 and have an old beater bike and a decent road bike and I can't bottom out either one. Sounds like you need more air in the tires.
  • esteelewis
    esteelewis Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do you know what kinds of tire set you have? 700x19 is what I use and at full 105 psi, I can support myself, two lap tops, clothes, lots of water(3liters), lunch, and toliteries with out making a dent in the tires.

Get a pump with a tire gauge to make sure you are pumping them up fully.

The front tire on the bike says it is a Mythos XC 26x2.10, to fit HB 575 Rim. The back tire is a Matrix 790 tire 26x1.95.

They just came with the bike when I bought it.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    They definitely sound underinflated.

But yes- they do make stronger wheels. Affectionately called "clyde wheels." They tend to be expensive and won't help with underinflation. This should be a moot point with mountain bike wheels anyway. They are all built strong.

What you should do:

1) Get the proper inflation on your tires. (use the Max PSI on the side)
    2) Go to a GOOD bike shop and have them tension the wheels

Tensioning the wheels will help prevent broken spokes or bent rims.

Also avoid bumps, potholes/etc. If you have to hit a bump, ride light in the saddle (Push up slightly to take more weight out of the saddle)
  • esteelewis
    Options
    They definitely sound underinflated.

But yes- they do make stronger wheels. Affectionately called "clyde wheels." They tend to be expensive and won't help with underinflation. This should be a moot point with mountain bike wheels anyway. They are all built strong.

What you should do:

1) Get the proper inflation on your tires. (use the Max PSI on the side)
    2) Go to a GOOD bike shop and have them tension the wheels

Tensioning the wheels will help prevent broken spokes or bent rims.

Also avoid bumps, potholes/etc. If you have to hit a bump, ride light in the saddle (Push up slightly to take more weight out of the saddle)

Thanks that is great advice about the bumps/potholes etc.

I am calling local bike shops this morning to find one that can help me. And special order a different wheel if needed.
  • wellbert
    Options
    You can get wheels that have stronger spokes/rims, but it's not going to help an inflation problem. What PSI did you actually inflate them to? What are they rated for?
  • esteelewis
    Options
    You can get wheels that have stronger spokes/rims, but it's not going to help an inflation problem. What PSI did you actually inflate them to? What are they rated for?

I am actually not sure what PSI they are rated for or what I had them inflated them to. I just filled them up all the way. I am new at biking...i didn't realize that I needed to have a specific PSI setting for it. (though it makes sense since the car has to have a certain PSI.)

I found some tires online (Schwalbe tires) that are rated for a load of 300-400 lbs: http://www.everybicycletire.com/shopping/s-118-300-400-lbs.aspx

I called my local bike shop. He wasn't aware of tires that were specifically rated to carry that weight...but he said I can bring it in and he will look at my bike and help me find which tires to order.
  • wellbert
    Options

I am actually not sure what PSI they are rated for or what I had them inflated them to. I just filled them up all the way. I am new at biking...i didn't realize that I needed to have a specific PSI setting for it. (though it makes sense since the car has to have a certain PSI.)

I found some tires online (Schwalbe tires) that are rated for a load of 300-400 lbs: http://www.everybicycletire.com/shopping/s-118-300-400-lbs.aspx

I called my local bike shop. He wasn't aware of tires that were specifically rated to carry that weight...but he said I can bring it in and he will look at my bike and help me find which tires to order.

You should definitely invest in a bike pump with a gauge on it. The difference between "feeling full" and "being full" can be a LOT of air! You should also pump them every time you ride. They can lose a lot just sitting around.

If you are going to get new tires and AREN'T going off road, ask to get tires that are smoother rather than knobby. Your legs will thank you. Generally just gravitate toward a wider tire that handles a higher pressure.
  • esteelewis
    Options

You should definitely invest in a bike pump with a gauge on it. The difference between "feeling full" and "being full" can be a LOT of air! You should also pump them every time you ride. They can lose a lot just sitting around.

If you are going to get new tires and AREN'T going off road, ask to get tires that are smoother rather than knobby. Your legs will thank you. Generally just gravitate toward a wider tire that handles a higher pressure.

Thanks I will look for smoother tires. I am not planning on any off road...maybe a light dirt bike trail but that is the extent of it. Most of it will be residential/paved bike trail riding.
    The bike shop I spoke with said that my bike requires 26" inch tires and I should try to stay between 1.95 and 2.10r.
    I will buy a bike pump with a gauge today when I am at the shop.
  • Speedtrap
    Speedtrap Posts: 216
    Options
    Just like all the others I think your tires are under inflated,
    I ride a lot, (150-170km per week), when I started I was around 300 lbs, but when I had the tires inflated they did not compress at all.
    one thing to note, you will break spokes, every who rides does.
    If you can learn to fix them yourself it will save a lot of money. It is not easy, but if you have a local bike commuter group in your area many of them offer free classes on how to repair your bike.

From past experience I can change a spoke in about 20 minutes now and it cost me under $3, if I take it to a shop it is usually 15 to $20 and I have to leave my bike for a day.

As well if you purchase now wheels for your bike, don't cheap out, you don't have to go crazy, but look to get good 36 spoke wheels and they will last a long time with fewer broken spokes.
  • esteelewis
    Options
    Just like all the others I think your tires are under inflated,
    I ride a lot, (150-170km per week), when I started I was around 300 lbs, but when I had the tires inflated they did not compress at all.
    one thing to note, you will break spokes, every who rides does.
    If you can learn to fix them yourself it will save a lot of money. It is not easy, but if you have a local bike commuter group in your area many of them offer free classes on how to repair your bike.

From past experience I can change a spoke in about 20 minutes now and it cost me under $3, if I take it to a shop it is usually 15 to $20 and I have to leave my bike for a day.

As well if you purchase now wheels for your bike, don't cheap out, you don't have to go crazy, but look to get good 36 spoke wheels and they will last a long time with fewer broken spokes.

Thanks! I will do both of those!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Your tires will have the recommended inflation pressure molded into the sidewall. It can be anywhere from 30-40 psi to 120+ psi. It all depends on what your tires are rated. Get yourself a digital tire pressure gauge, they are much easier to read than the older stick style ones.
    This is the one I picked up for about $6 at Target.

13770520_265x265_pad.jpg
    Make sure you get one that can read the higher pressures in modern bike tires (120+ psi) Car tires only require ~32-36 psi, so you want to make sure you will be able to use it on your bike.
    Good luck and keep riding!
  • iTswape
    iTswape Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Seems like you've figured out the problem... it has nothing to do with your weight, but too little air in the tires. It's impossible to know if your tire has enough air without a gauge. Ask the bike shop guy to show you where in the tire the recommend pressure is written. It will be on the side wall and it will give you a PSI range. As a heavy person I always aim for the top end of the range.
  • esteelewis
    Options
    I went to the bike shop and explained everything to the owner.

He helped me pick a tire, which was just a standard tire for around $15 with a high PSI of 65. He said there is no reason it shouldn't work and he sells it to heavier people all the time. The only other option was a $90 tire and he said it was completely unnecessary if I am riding on paved surfaces.

He also recommended a heavy duty inner tube which I bought.

I also got a bike pump with a gauge on it. He said I should fill it up to the max of 65 every time before riding it.

Oh and I believe the tires are 32 spokes. I have a friend who will show me how to replace broken spokes.

I went out for 1.25 miles yesterday and did not have any problems. So it looks like I am in a good place now. I can't believe how much effort it takes to ride a bike v. a stationary bike. I only rode for about 9 mins yesterday and I was huffing, puffing, sweating and my legs were burning. Looks like this will be great exercise.

Thank you to everyone who posted and all of your recommendations!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Great news. Glad you got it figured out. You should be fine with 65 PSI, and the 32 hole (spoke) tire should be fine at your weight.

Don't worry about the huffing and puffing and this point in time. I started a year ago, and rode 2.9 miles and about died. Finished the calendar year with 6002 miles. You just have to keep pedaling and adding miles.

Best of luck to you.
    I went to the bike shop and explained everything to the owner.

He helped me pick a tire, which was just a standard tire for around $15 with a high PSI of 65. He said there is no reason it shouldn't work and he sells it to heavier people all the time. The only other option was a $90 tire and he said it was completely unnecessary if I am riding on paved surfaces.

He also recommended a heavy duty inner tube which I bought.

I also got a bike pump with a gauge on it. He said I should fill it up to the max of 65 every time before riding it.

Oh and I believe the tires are 32 spokes. I have a friend who will show me how to replace broken spokes.

I went out for 1.25 miles yesterday and did not have any problems. So it looks like I am in a good place now. I can't believe how much effort it takes to ride a bike v. a stationary bike. I only rode for about 9 mins yesterday and I was huffing, puffing, sweating and my legs were burning. Looks like this will be great exercise.

Thank you to everyone who posted and all of your recommendations!