Want to start lifting, lower back problems

Options
Hi all,
I don't currently have a gym, but I would like to somehow find a way to start lifting as I see myself more and more every day as "skinny fat". I'm not a fan! I lifted a little in high school for track season, but never got very far.
Obviously a doctor could tell me whether or not I should start lifting, but it can't hurt to ask here, eh?
I have a bad back; I get it from my father. I'm only 21, but I wake up with lumbar pain and a stiff, toxic feeling in my lower back that hurts more when I breathe. Cracking my back and laying down on a hard surface (wood floor, bathtub) usually will crack out some kinks, too. I recently started a job where I stand up for nine hours straight. I had a lot of knee, foot and back pain, so I bought orthotics. It happens when I stand too long, sit too long, lay too long... it's irritating.
Does anybody have any experience with a bad back and starting to lift? Does it get worse? Should I wear a lifting belt? Did it make your back feel any better?

Replies

• mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    strengthen your core muscles. this will help with your back. Well this is what I have found, as I have a crappy back too. Every since I have started doing more exercises (doing insanity, kettleworx and running at the moment). It has really helped with the back pain.

The most important thing is engaging your core when you lift weights, but it's also important that your technique is right, cause if you are doing it wrong, you'll be doing more damage than good.
  • imjessly
    imjessly Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    strengthen your core muscles. this will help with your back. Well this is what I have found, as I have a crappy back too. Every since I have started doing more exercises (doing insanity, kettleworx and running at the moment). It has really helped with the back pain.

The most important thing is engaging your core when you lift weights, but it's also important that your technique is right, cause if you are doing it wrong, you'll be doing more damage than good.
    ^^this
    strong core & using your core when you lift = happy back
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have moderate scoliosis and have actually straightened out my back a bit more than it was just through lifting.

Defs talk to your gp though , and make sure you get someone to show you how to do the exercises properly! Bad form could make it worse. But strong core muscles will also make it a lot better!
    Good luck :)
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You should find out exactly what is wrong with your back. Then that would dictate what you should do, and what you can`t. I would agree that getting active is strengthening your core would be the best way to start out. Water exercise is a great place to start because your body is both supported by the water and has to push against it. Swimming and aquafitness would get you exercising without incurring injury.

Then there are exercises where you are using your body`s own weight. Tai Chi is a discipline that might serve you here. There are two styles of Tai Chi: Yang and Chen with Chen-style being the most vigorous and taxing on the back. Start with Yang style and make sure you find a good Tai Chi master by shopping around until you take a class that really suits you. I would stay away from Yoga because it is so hard on the back.

Pilates is good for strengthening the back muscles. Then there is regular walking.

If you are already doing regular exercise, and want to add weights, make sure you get one on one instruction from someone who is really qualified and can teach you good technique. Then take it slowly
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back from a work injury. I have protruding discs at L4 L5 & S1 (all lower back disc bulging) and it makes sure I can't stand or sit for more than 5 mins at a time. 2.5 years I been like this & unable to work at all.

So I said stuff this. I got into working out. I was doing nothing at all & my weight was not helping. So now I workout like crazy, I can now stand for longer, sit longer & lift heavier then I could before..... and I've lost weight as well.

Talk to your Dr, and then think if you can do it anyway.

I went totally against any Dr's advice & in fact they have no idea that I have been doing any of this. They didnt offer anything except pain meds (which I've now become addicted to) and no form of exercise at all. I have told them I've lost weight, when they ask... I tell them "walking gently did it". They have no idea & do not need to know at all as far as I'm concerned. I am in so much less pain now, I wake up less stiff & sore. I can even bend & touch the floor, could not even bend enough to touch my knees before.

I'm planing on going back to work asap cause I'm sick of being told I'm still not strong enough.
  • androde
    androde Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Yes you can still lift, just be careful how and how heavy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

+1
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what is wrong with your back!

I have a bad back as well. I slipped a disc when Iwas about 12 in a horse riding accident and my hips are slightly wonky with one being as much a 1cm further forward than the other! I was told that most of my pain (after my disc was put back!) was caused by lazy stomach muscles! I do pilates based excersises to help with that and mow that I am stronger I have started adding weights to those excersises! My back is way better but it does still get tight! For this I find Yoga is the best! I know someone did say that yoga is too hard on the back but I think it depends on what type of yoga you do and how much you try to do! I do Barbra Curries Power of Yoga and the last workout is 20 minutes of stretching! I love it! I was in agaony with my back a few months agao and nothing worked until I decided the yoga was worth a try! It stretched slowly to start but then when I go to cat pose I felt it just go and everything relaxed! It was fantastic!! The pain was caused my my muscles being tense and the streching released that tension! I love it!!

With regards to the strength training though I have to say that I agree with what everyone else seems to think! You must get a proper instructor to show you correct technique! If you don't you will hurt yourself!! You must also stretch after you workout! A suport belt could hurt but I would run that by your trainer first as they should be able to recomend a good one for you!

Good luck!!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back from a work injury. I have protruding discs at L4 L5 & S1 (all lower back disc bulging) and it makes sure I can't stand or sit for more than 5 mins at a time. 2.5 years I been like this & unable to work at all.

So I said stuff this. I got into working out. I was doing nothing at all & my weight was not helping. So now I workout like crazy, I can now stand for longer, sit longer & lift heavier then I could before..... and I've lost weight as well.

Talk to your Dr, and then think if you can do it anyway.

I went totally against any Dr's advice & in fact they have no idea that I have been doing any of this. They didnt offer anything except pain meds (which I've now become addicted to) and no form of exercise at all. I have told them I've lost weight, when they ask... I tell them "walking gently did it". They have no idea & do not need to know at all as far as I'm concerned. I am in so much less pain now, I wake up less stiff & sore. I can even bend & touch the floor, could not even bend enough to touch my knees before.

I'm planing on going back to work asap cause I'm sick of being told I'm still not strong enough.

You are amazing!! What a fantastic story!! Drs can be great but sometimes they do just throw meds at the problem without bothering to find the cause! I had the same thing with my low ab pain! Well done for taking action and I am so glad you are feeling better!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Thanks all <3 I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with my back; I don't think it's really diagnosable, just general lower back pain. One thing I've considered though is LLD (leg length discrepancy). I think maybe my left leg is a little shorter than my right. I used to cheer and one day in early 2011 I was at a tumbling gym doing some roundoffs (cartwheels landing with legs and feet together) and I think I hyperextended my leg from my hip socket and pulled a hamstring. It was super-painful and didn't go away for weeks. Somebody said this might be from different leg lengths and jamming your legs together while you land, and both feet hit the ground at the same time. I stand up all day at work and have the same lower back (mostly on the left side) twinge of pain, so I'm thinking maybe I need an insert for my left shoe or something.