exercise equipment

Options
Im going to buy myself some exercise equipment and looking for recommendations. Im torn between,exercise bike,cross trainer or treadmill. Thoughts plese

Replies

• 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    weight bench and a dumbbell set
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I had a cross trainer and after a month of using it I joined a gym, I was hooked.

At the moment I prefer using that to a treadmill due to calf injuries, it's not as harsh on them as the treadmill is.

I would say it depends on what you want to do. If you want to run then the treadmill is better but I have heard that for over all fitness, the cross trainer is better.
  • 699rico
    699rico Posts: 1
    Options
    i like the cross trainer
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    weight bench and a dumbbell set

Wish i could but due to illness i need low impact workout and was advised the three i mentioned would be best option for me

I am leaning towards the cross trainer
  • lja20
    lja20 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Nordic trac upright stationary bike in January and absolutely love it! It's quiet, efficient, and I can work out while watching tv if I want to. The time flies by.
  • Caiden1Dani2
    Options
    It depends on what you like to do while exercising.... read? listen to music? watch television? And are you looking to burn fat, build muscle or both? I found ellipticals better for building some muscle while burning calories, but treadmills better for long-term gains of fat loss. Perhaps that's just me.

For me, I like any equipment that has preset programs (like hill climb or interval training) where the machine changes resistance/speed and I just keep up. Then I can watch tv at the same time and the cardio time just flies by. When I have to watch a wall or constantly adjust the machine, I get bored fast.

I've had an elliptical but I sold it and got a treadmill instead. I find I can go longer without getting bored or exhausted, and my overall level of energy has increased. I've never used a cross trainer. I like that I can really challenge myself on a treadmill with speed and incline changes, and when I'm feeling extra zippy, I can walk while doing bicept curls or shaddow box, or jack up the incline, lower the speed to very low and do incline walking lunges (wow, that is challenging!). I didn't find that variety on the elliptical.

I recommend going to a gym for a day (you can get a free pass almost anywhere if you say you're considering joining) and trying each machine. See what you really like, and figure out which is best for you!
  • Serenity64
    Options
    For home equipment, I'd be most concerned with maintenance and repairs. I would research that and buy what will need the least amount of fiddling with.