Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

exercise equipment

Im going to buy myself some exercise equipment and looking for recommendations. Im torn between,exercise bike,cross trainer or treadmill. Thoughts plese

Replies

• 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    weight bench and a dumbbell set
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 741 Member
    I had a cross trainer and after a month of using it I joined a gym, I was hooked.

At the moment I prefer using that to a treadmill due to calf injuries, it's not as harsh on them as the treadmill is.

I would say it depends on what you want to do. If you want to run then the treadmill is better but I have heard that for over all fitness, the cross trainer is better.
  • 699rico
    699rico Posts: 1
    i like the cross trainer
  • jaynemaria
    jaynemaria Posts: 58 Member
    weight bench and a dumbbell set

Wish i could but due to illness i need low impact workout and was advised the three i mentioned would be best option for me

I am leaning towards the cross trainer
  • lja20
    lja20 Posts: 54 Member
    I purchased a Nordic trac upright stationary bike in January and absolutely love it! It's quiet, efficient, and I can work out while watching tv if I want to. The time flies by.
  • It depends on what you like to do while exercising.... read? listen to music? watch television? And are you looking to burn fat, build muscle or both? I found ellipticals better for building some muscle while burning calories, but treadmills better for long-term gains of fat loss. Perhaps that's just me.

For me, I like any equipment that has preset programs (like hill climb or interval training) where the machine changes resistance/speed and I just keep up. Then I can watch tv at the same time and the cardio time just flies by. When I have to watch a wall or constantly adjust the machine, I get bored fast.

I've had an elliptical but I sold it and got a treadmill instead. I find I can go longer without getting bored or exhausted, and my overall level of energy has increased. I've never used a cross trainer. I like that I can really challenge myself on a treadmill with speed and incline changes, and when I'm feeling extra zippy, I can walk while doing bicept curls or shaddow box, or jack up the incline, lower the speed to very low and do incline walking lunges (wow, that is challenging!). I didn't find that variety on the elliptical.

I recommend going to a gym for a day (you can get a free pass almost anywhere if you say you're considering joining) and trying each machine. See what you really like, and figure out which is best for you!
  • For home equipment, I'd be most concerned with maintenance and repairs. I would research that and buy what will need the least amount of fiddling with.