How long to break Plateau?

Options
Hi, I'm currently at a plateau that I have been stuck at for 5 weeks now losing and gaining the same 3 lbs :(
Ive lowered my sugar and sodium intake and changed my exercise habits to shake things up abit. At the moment I am doing 30DS and walking around 3 miles a day. I usually stay under my calorie goal (id say 9 days out of 10) and if I ever go over Its not usually by much.

Im starting to feel really demotivated which is bad as I was doing quite well before having lost around 20lbs. I was just wondering how long it took everyone else to break through and start losing again. And also how you did it (ie. what you changed diet/exercise wise).

Thanks in advance for any info or help, its much appreciated!

14580293.png

Replies

• reneeramirez4christ
    reneeramirez4christ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I JUST got this awesome email from Jillian Michaels that talks about plateaus! If you message me your email I'll forward it to you!
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, just carry on doing what you're doing and it will eventually break. They're very frustrating so i do understand where you're coming from
  • illecl
    illecl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    In a previous life at Weight Watchers, they advised to make sure you're eating at least 2 teaspoons of healthy oil, like olive oil, a day --and eat fish, seafood and eggs instead of meats for a week or so. Your body is readjusting. Don't cut calories too much, it'll think it's starving. You'll do it!
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should increase your exercise intensity like run instead of walk..It seems like its an exercise thing.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My first two lasted 3 months, 3rd one lasted 2 weeks. I'm currently on my 4th plateau and it's going on 4 weeks.
    have you tried upping your calories?
  • runner3292
    Options
    I just switched over from WW, to this site, so I don't have any history yet. But I've lost 25 since Jan. 1st. Now I'm stuck like you 4 weeks, gain and loose the same 3 lbs. I weight the same as I did last week, but when I measured my waist this morning its down an inch. Check your measurements.
  • hpetzold77
    Options
    I know what you are going through, I think I have been on plateau now for 7 or so weeks. I may have lost count :( Been juggling the same 3-4 lbs. It seems since I have gotten close to the 30lb loss i have hit a wall. It's driving me nuts. I work out pretty regularly about 4-6 days a week. Eat around or under my calories as well. Im just at a loss and don't know what to do as well. It is very demotivating. I have had a few bad days here and there. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this I and will be looking forward to see if anyone out there has some advice for this.
  • e_chickering32
    e_chickering32 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My Doc told me the easiest way to get over it, is to be bad for 3 days then go back to regualr routine and your body will recognize
    the change and go back to loosing weight. I did it and it worked for me.
  • sherryk5133
    sherryk5133 Posts: 106
    Options
    My plateau lasted about 3 weeks then I dropped 9 lbs.within a week and a half!! I honestly didn't really change that much, I tried to lower my sodium intake and stopped drinking as much water (I have renal insufficiency where my body doesn't get rid of fluid as fast as it should which makes me retain water, so I think thats what my problem was...)

Everyone is different you just have to fiure out what your body does or doesn't need...try what I did and see if it helps...I hope I have helped you in some way!! Good luck in your weight loss journey!!

Happy Easter!! God Bless!!
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My Doc told me the easiest way to get over it, is to be bad for 3 days then go back to regualr routine and your body will recognize
    the change and go back to loosing weight. I did it and it worked for me.
    I like this!!! Might try it!!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I know of someone who broke through their plateau by drinking a super rich ice cream milk shake in addition to their normal meals. Sometime it does take a good spike day to break through it. That way your body wont get used to a certain number of calories.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through, I think I have been on plateau now for 7 or so weeks. I may have lost count :( Been juggling the same 3-4 lbs. It seems since I have gotten close to the 30lb loss i have hit a wall. It's driving me nuts. I work out pretty regularly about 4-6 days a week. Eat around or under my calories as well. Im just at a loss and don't know what to do as well. It is very demotivating. I have had a few bad days here and there. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this I and will be looking forward to see if anyone out there has some advice for this.

This is me too. Looking forward to people's thoughts.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tips everyone :)
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: