High sugar levels!

Options
raychilg
raychilg Posts: 14 Member
I have been going over my sugar allowance nearly every day and I find the biggest problem is fruit. An apple normally comes up with 9-10g of sugar. I want to eat plenty of fruit but I think I should stick to just one piece a day because MFP keeps telling me off for having too much sugar. Is natural sugar a bad thing?
Maybe our five a day should be 1 fruit and 4 veg?
What are people's thoughts?

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Because of my diet I'm always over on my sugar, but since I'm eating healthy and under on my calories most days, it doesn't concern me.
  • lollypop_ginger
    lollypop_ginger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't take any notice of sugar in fruit, I don't eat anything else with lots of sugar in and I only have a couple of pieces a day- I'd worry if I was going over from eating sweets, cake, chocolate and fast food, though!
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar in fruit. It's good natural stuff as far as I'm concerned - I'd rather eat a banana than some frankenstein sugar-free diet food.
  • kabarnes45
    kabarnes45 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm always over a little over on sugar too. I stick to my total carb count, dont at trash, and be sure to get lots of fiber, after that don't stress about it. Otherwise, I found myself saying silly things like "Really? I had grapes at breakfast and now my day is shot!?!?" I don't think your numbers have to be perfect to be successful.
  • rachaela06
    rachaela06 Posts: 167
    Options
    I have the same issue, but I've just kind of let that number go. I look at it this way, it's natural and not junk food, so I am ok. I try to plenty of fruits and veggies everyday. If my sugar goes a little too far over, I kick up my workout, and burn most of the excess off. Just my way of rationalizing the situation. As long as your not eating junk, maintaining a healthy diet and exercising, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It is great that you are being mindful of this- too much sugar from fruit really can impact your weight loss- especially if you have lost a good amount of weight and hit a plateau. If you have lots of weight to lose and begin replacing junk food with fresh fruit, that is great, but once you start getting truly, really lean and are fighting for those last 5-10 pounds, that is usually when you have to start really watching it. I have cut my fruit consumption and have no more than about 2-3 real, measured servings a day and I always opt for low glycemic fruits. It has made a huge difference as I work towards leaning out. The best time to consume fruits is within 30 minutes of waking in the morning (with lean protein of course such as egg whites or a protein drink) or within 30 minutes of your cardio workout when your body needs to replace nutrients and depleted glycogen in the muscles- worst time is right before bed when your body's energy needs don't warrant the instant sugar hit.
  • raychilg
    raychilg Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I will try not to worry about the sugar in the fruit anymore. If it's natural sugar it doesn't count, but I think I will cut it down towards the end of my weightloss. I am still losing weight so it can't be impacting it too negatively.

Thank you everyone :)

Good luck with your fitness journeys.
  • Peggys8
    Peggys8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone for their input. I also have been pondering this for weeks! I found myself avoiding fruit.....not good! As long as it is natural sugar, I am not going to worry about it. I agree .....a natural piece of fruit is better than some chemically engineered sugar free gunk. Thank you everyone!