Can you do a Chin up?

Options
Last night I attempted my first Chin up. Failed miserably. So now my goal is to be able to do one with no assistance.
Two Questions:
1. Has anyone else had trouble doing a Chin up?
2. What is the best way to strengthen your arms to be able to do a chin up?

Replies

• yeowiepower
    yeowiepower Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1) used to be able to do 20 before i stopped going to the gym and put on all this weight.... havn't tried recently but id be happy with 5 haha

2) chinups use mostly arms with upper back and core. so forearms, bi's, tri's, shoulders, back, abs.... you would be best off finding those assisted chinup/dip machines at the gym that you can rest your knees on and take away weights as you improve
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I can manage about 20 aswell, thats under hand grip btw, yea the assisted chinup/dip machines will help a lot!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    http://www.negharfonooni.com/2011/12/how-i-stopped-sucking-at-pullups.html

This helped me a lot.

Also, I used a pull up band not a machine to get me there.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    if you have a way of lowering the chin up bar or raising your feet, so your body is at an angle and you're only lifting the weight of your upper body, it could allow you to do enough to build strength. Sort of like doing push ups with your hands on a chair or table instead of the floor -- more reps and toning instead of bulking. Currently I'm trying to work on my biceps by straddling an open door, holding a doorknob in each hand and doing pull-up/curls, because I don't have a gym membership.
  • Woolooloo
    Woolooloo Posts: 82
    Options
    I was never able to do chin ups, not even as a kid (not even in my skinny phases). I've put in a lot of work on them though in past few months and I can do 5 unassisted now, a couple wearing weights, and a whole bunch using even a 5 pound band. I'm trying to get to 10 unassisted but I've been nursing a bicep injury for the past 5 or 6 weeks that makes them painful. I think without the pain I could probably do 6 or 7, so I hope to hit my goal soon.

Chin ups are harder for women from what I understand, but they are hard for everyone. I suggest not feeling bad that you can't do one now, but make it your mission to be able to do 2 or 3 :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I can do them on the assisted machine with the lowest possible weight setting, but not without the "bench" to kneel on. :grumble:
  • Microfiber_wechange
    Options
    Last night I attempted my first Chin up. Failed miserably.

I can't do one neither lol
  • sgressock
    sgressock Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I can do 1 chin up. I still am overweight so its exciting.

I bought a bar that goes on my door and every time I walk past it I try to do one. I felt myself getting stronger and finally one day I did one. I still do this every time I walk by now hoping for two.

Good luck!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't think I was ever able to do one, as at 33, I'm in better shape now then I ever was and I still can't do one. To be able to do a chin up is actually a goal I set for myself with my trainer. We started working together about 2 months ago, 3 times a week (I do cardio on my own every other day). I chose a chin up as a goal as it involved not only making sure your weight is in check (you have less to lift), but core and upper body strength, which I had none of. I'm not there yet, but there has been huge improvements.
    - Push-ups: I used to be able to do 2 per set, and I'm at 12.
    - Plank: I could last 20sec, and I'm at 2min.
    - Assisted chin-up (machine using your weight as counter balance): I went from a set of 10 at 140 (I'm 5'10'', 160lbs) to sets of 10 at 100.

So, in my case, it's a work in progress...
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Nope I can not do one :( I want to though! :)
  • jcgrant43
    jcgrant43 Posts: 64
    Options
    Here is a good You Tube video on pull up progression.

http://youtu.be/76HjVOoUX6U

Another good program to do them:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/

Both are very good programs for helping your back, shoulders, arms get strong enough to do pull ups/chin ups.

Enjoy! And out of curiosity, let me know when you get one done. I'd really like to know how long it takes....
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked I could do 3. It took a long while though to get to doing just 1 :grumble:

What I found helped for me was lat pull down. You can do it the standard way to help with traditional pull ups, or palms facing inwards and closer grip, just like a chin up :smile:
    Using the assisted pull up/chin up machine will also help. I've been using that recently as I want to do a proper pull up, but I can't at the moment.
  • WonderNoodle
    Options

I bought a bar that goes on my door and every time I walk past it I try to do one. I felt myself getting stronger and finally one day I did one. I still do this every time I walk by now hoping for two.

Good luck!

THAT is awesome!
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    1. Has anyone else had trouble doing a Chin up?
    2. What is the best way to strengthen your arms to be able to do a chin up?

1. Yes. Fell off and cut my shin
    2. Would love to know!! I'm in weight training now, hope that helps me.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting one of those chin up bars for the door. I would probably obsess over it though lol. Great job though!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can now do 5 chin ups and 1 pull up unassisted. My advice would be to do them with your feet on a chair for support and then with time keep moving the chair out further so it gets harder, then try without!
  • mkwongh
    mkwongh Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I have a bar at my door as well. It took me a while, but I can now do two in a row. I started with under hand grip ( much easier) I still cannot do over hand grip. I also started with just hanging off the bar for a count of 10-15, to get my arms used to hold my weight. Or jumping up, and lowering the body very slowly without putting feet on the ground. Hold for a few seconds then repeat.

It's exciting when you can get one done. Keep working on it and it will get easier. good luck to everyone trying. New goal - 5 in a row
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I can't do one either :(, but it's one of my goals! Other than my goal weight, I have 3 things I want to be able to do....
    1) pull ups (at least a couple)
    2) push ups
    3) running a 5K

Good luck! I'm working on 2 & 3, but I haven't even begun to try the pull ups. I am working on my upper body strength, and it has improved a lot, so soon maybe! LOL Ya know, when no one else is in the gym to laugh at me!!
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    Are you doing the palms facing you grip or pals away. The version you are doing will impact the main muscle groups being used and determine the best way to improve. I ussed to do the palms away "pull-up" as opposed to the palms towards "chin up". I was up to doing over ten, but an elbow injury has taken them out of the list of exercises I can perform.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I was able to do my first one ever last year. The most I ever did at one time was 4.... And it almost killed me! lol

Sadly, I've put on a teeny bit of weight and my strength training is lacking right now... So in the past 9 months I've gone from being able to do 4, to being able to do none.

Negative chin ups helped me a lot. I would stand on a chair and hold my body up where my chin was above the bar and then slowly lower myself down to the ground.