Do you eat a traditional Easter dinner?

Options
shannoninBC
shannoninBC Posts: 371 Member
We have the usual: turkey, ham, gravy, mashed potatoes, veggies, dessert.

What about you, any interesting dishes or traditions?

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    my family used to and then my cousin decided to do brunch and she's vegetarian and does tuna salad, egg salad, bagels, and pasta salad etc. Not really anything like an easter dinner. And my boyfriends faily just loads up on fatty food for easter, sweet potatoes with the marshmallows and sugar, fried cauliflower, green bean casserole and other stuff that I dont eat. So I'm happy I got my wisdom teeth out and don't have to go to my cousin's house and get to bring something I would like to eat to his families house since I still can't chew. At least I'm saved this year. When we buy our house we'll start hosting the holidays and making them more traditional and healthy!!!
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    My side of the family does brunch, then we do dinner with my husbands mom. But this year my husband and I are both working, so we're doing a late ham dinner with his mom and my parents. We do the basics: ham, mashed potatoes, veggies, squash, rolls, and desserts.
    I also have to make a ham dinner for the clients at work that have no where to go for the holiday. I will eat a bit with them as well.

And as a funny note, I'm agnostic. I only celebrate the holiday because it's a reason for my family to get together and I was raised as a Christian.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I always have Ham and Potato Salad. This year I adding Lasagna too. Not everyone likes ham.........
  • MsTT80
    MsTT80 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'll be cooking a roast chicken dinner on Monday for Easter.

The added bonus being lots of chicken left overs ready for a tasty salad the next day :)
  • genablue
    genablue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm doing ham but instead of the usual mashed potatoes and stuff this year I'm doing twice baked potatoes, broccoli salad, corn casserole, croissants and making lemon blossoms for dessert.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I am going over to my parents' house for Easter dinner. I quit eating all meats about 3 months ago. I asked my mom if she was making ham, and yes she is. I told her I can't eat it. And I'm not going to sit there and just wolf down mashed potatoes, you know? So we came to a compromise and she is going to make me lasagna. I can live with that. I feel bad though that she is going out of her way to make a lasagna, but at least she'll have some wicked leftovers.
    I have to be really careful when I eat at my parents' because both of them eat just beyond terribly. Ugh. I'm going to try not to sit and over-analyze things tomorrow and just enjoy the day.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    We usually do the whole Turkey thing for Easter. However, this year since it is our first year without my fiance's mom we are going to go to a brunch instead. Should be interesting....
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very strict vegetarian and I don't eat pork or beef so I make the most delicious vegetable/tofu lasagna you ever tasted. Even the carnivores in the family love it :)
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    We are having ham, sweet potates ( not casserole), baked mac and cheese, coleslaw and rolls. I look forward to holidays. And since starting on this journey and keeping my portions smaller, it should be interesting about how many left overs we have LOL
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I need ideas - bump
  • paulmrice
    paulmrice Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Our annual tradition with my wife's family is Crawfish Bisque then later that evening at my Mother's house, it's homemade lasagna.

Yep... will have a lot of exercising to do next week!
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    ham, cheesy potatoes, peas, homemade rolls, and raspberry cheesecake!! Yum!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    we're having beef wellington, twice baked potatoes, manicotti, salad, and some other side dishes

my family always does a big dinner for easter
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    My family did the traditional meals when I was growing up, but the holidays were always secular.

I'm an Atheist and my husband is a non-practicing Jew, so we still do Santa and the Easter Bunny for the kids, but the only holiday meal we do is Thanksgiving.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I don't celebrate the Christian traditions, but I like the idea of celebrating the return of spring and new life, so we usually do a nice dinner, with beef and veggies, or something special, like ribs.

Next year, and maybe the years after, I plan on doing traditional Easter or spring dishes from different religions, to highlight the history behind the holiday. Just for the exposure, because I think that would be good for my daughter.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Nope, We are having Lasanga this year
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    we dont have a traditional easter meal but I do try to make something good like steaks on the grill with all the sides under the sun!

we do however, get together with my side of family the day before and have a great big bbq so that on Sunday we can all be home and spend time with our immediate family and just chill. usually after a big throw down like we do, we need the next day for rest.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    We are going to grill out some steaks!!! Oh goodness, I am already so excited!!!

But, we do not have the traditional Easter dinner. We will go to church, hunt some eggs, eat some chocolate, and then grill out by the pool!!!
  • nikkifk
    nikkifk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    roast lamb with new potatoes, green veggies and mint sauce followed by home made easter eggs
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My family has always had a traditional Easter dinner. My mom is still going to make ham, potatoes, and veggies, but I'm bringing a vegan peanut butter pie, mashed cauliflower, and some other things that I can eat (I'm vegan, by the way, haha). It's all about compromise, I guess. I don't mind that everyone else is having ham as long as I have other options.