Too Much Protein: Beneficial or Not

Options
2»

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,978 Member
    Options
    Protein intake should be based on lifestyle and body composition. Most recomendations are for the sedentary crowd.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    According to Joy Bauer, the nutritionist on the Today Show, we need about 50% of our weight in grams of protein. That means if a person weighs 150 pounds they would need 75 grams of protein each day.

I think MFP really "under allocates" the amount of protein on our target macros...

Ok, this makes me feel better, but seems a little outrageous for the everyday person! I'm TRYING to up my protein and reached close to 80g (I weigh 143) by the day was over. This was by specifically drinking protein shakes and I had chicken for lunch. How would the everyday person (who is not trying to lose weight/gain muscle) get this much protein in their diet without trying?!

Vegans and vegetarians get Around 10-20% just by eating protein rich veggies and legumes and rice etc, if you're a meat eater, it shouldn't be too hard to get more.

Just having an egg + 1 white for breakfast, 2 oz of chicken for lunch, and 3oz of lean protein for dinner, along with the non meat protein I eat, I am able to get around 90 grams which is my allotment.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If you consistently consume LARGE amounts of protein over an extended period of time, you can damage your kidneys (kidneys are nothing to **** with, either--I have the stones to prove it). But I believe those are extreme cases. In any event, I could probably never eat my body weight in grams of protein. I think you're probably fine.
  • hsnbro
    hsnbro Posts: 55
    Options
    bump
  • starsnyc21
    starsnyc21 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Too much protein is hard on the digestion process. I've literally wanted to go to the hospital after being back up for days due to high protein diets. You have to find a balance between good cards, protein and fat. If not be prepare for the back lash.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    As of today, I have upped my protein intake in hopes to build a little more muscle. By the end of today, my protein intake will be in the red -32.
    My question: is there such a thing as TOO much protein? Is more protein allowed? What should I set my intake to?

I'm currently trying to lose 8 more pounds, but looking to build (a little) muscle in the process. Once I reach my goal, I plan on lifting weights more.

Also, I'm having horrible shin splints. Anything to do for that?!
    not possible to lose 8lbs and build muscle. Unless your genetics are insanely beneficial in your favor.
    By the way I used to not go down below 270g of protein everyday about a year ago. It was on a surplus though.
  • Amburglar
    Amburglar Posts: 32
    Options
    "If you build muscle, you won't lose wait." FAIL. MYTH.

I lift 30-45 minutes 5-6 days a week. Cardio 20-45 minutes 6-7 days a week.
    I have cut my carbs in half for what is recommended on MFP and I take in about 110-130g of protein a day. I also drink a ton of water to make sure I flush whatever my body doesn't use. I'd much rather be over on protein than under.
    I'm 5'8" and weight 140. Since I started doing this, 2 months ago, I can't believe the change in my body and the definition...and I've lost an average of a pound per week. If you are lifting, you need to feed your muscles. Thankfully, as women, because of estrogen and minimal amounts of testosterone in our bodies, MOST women do not naturally get big without insane training and enhancements.
    I also eat VERY clean...which, overall, is the biggest part of the battle.