Thighs/Calves

Options
Hello everyone,

I have a quick question for people who are toning up. I'm 5'2, 130 lbs and I'm not looking to "lose weight". Basically to lose fat and gain more muscle. But i'm having a really tough time with my legs. Since i'm so short, my calves and thighs are especially thicker. I feel like i have cankles and its always been something that has bothered me. I seem to be toning up nicely throughout the rest of my body, but my calves are the most troublesome right now. Anyone have some good exercises that can help? I'm afraid that I will always have cankles :(

Replies

• sister83
    sister83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would like to know too. Especially to tone the inner thighs and outer thighs. I see my quads getting toned but inner thighs are still bleahhh
  • NeilsWifex
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry I don't have the answer as I'm in the same boat so would love to hear what others come up with, so far I'm trying running.
  • Masterchef2000
    Masterchef2000 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    From what I gather from reading on here, the muscles are more likely to come first and the fat will come off later. Plus, the more muscle you have, the more fat you are going to burn as well. It takes time but you are doing it right from the get-go to gain the muscle and let the fat come off. Also, the longer it takes for that actual fat to come off, the more likely your skill will tighten around everything.

That's what my general knowledge is from reading info. I could be wrong though.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Jillian Michaels stuff - 30 day Shred etc? If you search the forum for 30DS results you will see big inch losses in a short amount of time and the workout is only 20 mins or so per day.
  • TitanGM
    TitanGM Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I apply FST7 in the parts that I want to improve. Basically it means that for that muscle group you do 7 sets of 10 to 12 reps (to failure) and only 30 seconds of rest between sets.. Very effective. The trick is how much pressure you put on your muscle in order for it to react. But never overtrain a muscle group more than others. Treat them equally, but with different intensity depending on your goals.
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    you and i have the same exact stats when i started this weight loss journey. i too have really big calves and thick thighs (PEAR SHAPED LADIES UNITE) right now i am about 115 pounds but i am usually 108 (trying this whole ``eat more lose more`` conspiracy hahaha...not working out for me just yet)

i can tell you that my legs have not slimmed down to that model-esque chicken--like legs that i fawn over...but since theyre so defined now from muscles (WEIGHT TRAINING/RUNNING/SQUATS/LUNGES/CALF RAISIES) theyre the things that really flag a taxi down, if you know what i mean:wink::wink: :wink: :wink:

be P.R.O.U.D. of your sexy well developed, soon-to-be muscular legs!! tone them with POP PILATES videos on youtube ;D
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Leg fat is my concern and what i am focusing on.

I am doing the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels.. it is only 20 minutes long but is FANTASTIC!! I'm looking to shape my legs because i feel as though my legs are to thick too.

I have taken up running too which is really helping to tone and shape them.

The key is to keep adapting your exercises to challenge yourself and your muscles to force them to change!!

Good Luck!

Keep at it!!!
  • mdebbie1026
    mdebbie1026 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I used to ride my bike uphill home from work....hard work but I had the best upper thighs, shape and strength back then. I just went as far as I could each day till I had to get off and walk it the rest of the way, trying for a little further each day. Zig zagging up helped build endurance. Boy, the day I made it I was exhausted but THRILLED at the same time. I received a lot of comments on my shapely legs too. My calves are still my shapliest asset but upper thigh area has gone south a little:(

Been thinking of either fixing up my bike or probably have to get a new one that one is more than 30 yrs old and hasn't been ridden in probably more than 20 years when my son (now 26 years old) got too big for the infant seat on the back and almost made me topple the bike with both of us on it. That was pretty scarey.

10100588.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Well... what I have to say - isn't necessarily what anyone wants to hear... INCLUDING ME!!

For the part about toning - you can do a multitude of exercises and strengthening... and the muscle development will help with the shape and tone of your legs.

BUT... for the part about any of the fat that seems to desparately holding onto all the spots that you don't want it to? Welp, that is more genetic and will eventually 'melt away' as you decrease your overall fat percentage. Nothing you do specifically will reduce fat in certain areas of your body... you just have to keep losing fat and eventually that fat will start to go away.

I have released over 100 pounds... and I swear it has all come off of my face, neck, shoulders, a little off my arms... I know it's come off of my stomach as well. BUT... my legs! UGH! I just cannot seem to have any of that fat go anywhere... I am in pants that are too big on top because my legs (both thighs and calves) are too big for the size that would fit properly around my hips and waist. I knew the science of it... that fat will disappear from different places first for different people... but I still was frustrated. I've been working with a personal trainer - and even asked her... isn't there something?!? The answer was - just keep losing weight and fat... build up muscle because it will make your body burn calories more efficiently but just keep doing what you are doing. NOT the answer I wanted to hear, but glad to know that my PT knows what she's talking about and is gonna tell me the truth! LOL.

What I really wonder about... is that "they" (the mysterious 'they' LOL) say when you exercise at a lower intensity - you actually use fat energy stores and therefore burn fat at a higher percentage then when you are exercising at a higher intensity... the higher intensity improves your heart and cardiovascular health. I get caught up often in how many calories I burn... thinking about this more as a mathematical equation of calories in/calories out... but, I wonder how true that it, and maybe, I should be doing more of a low intensity workout... hmmmmm....

That's what I know/read... not that I am an expert, nor do I claim to be. Good Luck!