carbs

Options
Hi,
What is the best way to explain about carbs and the inportants of watching the amount you eat to someone.
Daisydarling

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Too many of them slow down lipolysis (fat burning) in the body even if eating in deficit. 150 grams per day as an upper limit is a good idea. When you eat too many carbs youe blood glucose gets too high and that triggers various hormonal reactions including the release of insulin which will cause your body to attempt store fat instead of burn it.
  • Minimooshable
    Options
    Too many of them slow down lipolysis (fat burning) in the body even if eating in deficit. 150 grams per day as an upper limit is a good idea. When you eat too many carbs youe blood glucose gets too high and that triggers various hormonal reactions including the release of insulin which will cause your body to attempt store fat instead of burn it.

Very succinctly put, I must remember that as I know how horrible I feel when I have too many carbs- which I have spent the last 29 years doing! I have to ask, where did you get the figure of 150g from? Is that a general figure for everyone or is it like cals etc where everyone is different?

Sorry to hijack but I'm new at this carb thing, only just discovered low-carb as a concept this year!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As my professors would tell you, "Fat burns in a carbohydrate flame." You don't burn just one or the other. You have to have both at all times depending on what you are doing. The determining factors for what you are burning are the intensity and duration of your exercise, not what you've just eaten. High intensity and short duration activities are fueled primarily by carbohydrates, so people who participate in those types of activities will need more carbohydrates in order to perform at their best. Carbohydrate is also the only source of fuel for the brain and red blood cell production, so you definitely don't want to cut it too low.

When talking to someone about starting a healthier lifestyle, I recommend they find their recommended Calorie range first and start with eating in their personalized range. After that, then I recommend small changes to provide more nutrients such as eating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and less fast food, chips, and candy. Those things alone can be major changes for some people. After those become second nature, then they can look at their individual needs based on their exercise and disease status and customize their macros.
  • mmapags
    Options

Very succinctly put, I must remember that as I know how horrible I feel when I have too many carbs- which I have spent the last 29 years doing! I have to ask, where did you get the figure of 150g from? Is that a general figure for everyone or is it like cals etc where everyone is different?

Sorry to hijack but I'm new at this carb thing, only just discovered low-carb as a concept this year!

The 150 grams is a general recomedation. As Tonya mentions above, the activity level and the intensity of that activity is an critial factor in the equation. Tonya btw, is a well educated, experienced profesional trainer. When she posts, I listen!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    What is the best way to explain about carbs and the inportants of watching the amount you eat to someone.
    Daisydarling

I actually wouldn't explain that to someone unless they had a specific reason to restrict carbs, such as diabetes.

I do think it's valid to explain that protein and fat serve a very important function and as such, your best bet is to consume adequate quantities of them and prioritize this over carbs while remaining in a deficit.

But arbitrary carb amounts are ridiculous (because they are arbitrary and don't account for an individuals total daily intake) and under a normally functioning body (no insulin conditions) calorie deficit combined with adequate macro intake and training will result in fat loss.

In a calorie deficit, lipolysis exceeds lipogensis over the course of time and the net result is fat loss regardless of the acute conditions .

I couldn't possibly recommend this series on insulin more. This is James Krieger's work and it's phenomenal:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • mmapags
    Options
    Hi,
    Daisydarling

I actually wouldn't explain that to someone unless they had a specific reason to restrict carbs, such as diabetes.

I do think it's valid to explain that protein and fat serve a very important function and as such, your best bet is to consume adequate quantities of them and prioritize this over carbs while remaining in a deficit.

But arbitrary carb amounts are ridiculous (because they are arbitrary and don't account for an individuals total daily intake) and under a normally functioning body (no insulin conditions) calorie deficit combined with adequate macro intake and training will result in fat loss.

In a calorie deficit, lipolysis exceeds lipogensis over the course of time and the net result is fat loss regardless of the acute conditions .

I couldn't possibly recommend this series on insulin more. This is James Krieger's work and it's phenomenal:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

I'm about to take a look at it. I've seen you reference this a couple of times. Thanks for posting the link!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Sidesteal, that is a very interesting read. As he said in the article, " you may be experinceing congnitive dissonance" I definitly am. Gotta process this more and read some of the research links. Again, thanks for posting it.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So I read the whole Krieger series that Sidesteal recommended and my head is spinining! Very interesting reading and is a very different perspecitve to the commom wisdom about insulin and has research to back it up. I'd highly recommend it.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    So I read the whole Krieger series that Sidesteal recommended and my head is spinining! Very interesting reading and is a very different perspecitve to the commom wisdom about insulin and has research to back it up. I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for actually taking the time to read the data with an open mind. It's refreshing to know that there are people like you out there.

In closing, I don't think that low carbing is a bad plan. It can work great for people and for some people, it's pretty much necessary/ideal. My only contention is that it's not metabolically advantageous given normal insulin function, and it's important to distinguish this because the false assumptions that people can make about it can cause them to (sometimes wrongly) eliminate foods or restrict an entire macronutrient when a simple deficit with adequate macros and some common sense, will work just as well only with greater adherence.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Another good read is

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html

and

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html
  • mmapags
    Options

Another good read is

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-levels-and-fat-loss-qa.html

and

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html

Thanks man! I ahd read those before but rereading them after reading the Krieger stuff helped them to make more sense to me. Lyle is saying the same thing but Krieger seems to lay it out more clearly, at least for me. I appreciate you and Sidesteal bringing this info to the party. As I told him in a PM, better to learn and grow than to cling to and defend beliefs based on inaccurate information. So thanks to you both for sharing your knowledge.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to check out those links when I have a few minutes or so.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Bookmarking for links...
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    bump
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I've been reading the book "The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" by Stephen Phinney and Jeff Volek who have been researching low-carb diets for decades. They have drawn different conclusions than James Krieger. They happen to believe a majority of the population has some varying degree of carbohydrate intolerance and would benefit by lowering their carb intake while dieting. They believe insulin is an important factor in obesity because they believe many of us have varying degrees of insulin resistance.

Anyways I wouldn't take what James Krieger says as Gospel. Take a look at some other sources besides deciding what is fact vs. fiction. Also here is just one site that addresses Krieger's points.

http://theorganicengine.com/insulin-article-series/