Advice on how much to exercise, please?

Options
I'm recovering from an eating disorder, and thanks to a lot of help, advice, and support on MFP and beyond I'm managing to meet my goals. I've got my net intake up from around 200 calories to 1000 or slightly over now. And my question is this:

What would you do, if you were me? Right now, I do 60 mins cardio 6 days a week and am mixing in a little yoga and strength training (which I need to increase). I talked on my profile about decreasing it a little, perhaps doing 5 days a week? I have, obviously, been increasing my calories and am up from around 800-900 to 1500-1650 (that took over a month, and has been so so hard).

So, would you - keep 60 mins / 6 days a week and just work on increasing calories, or knock it down to 5 days a week whilst increasing cals a little bit more? I know I still need to get my net intake up, so I do need to eat more, and I promise you I'm working on that.

NB - I know people on here think it's fine and healthy to eat and even net under 1000 calories. That may be working for you, but it really hasn't worked so well for me (hence the ED) and I *choose* to increase. I think it's the healthiest choice both mentally and physically right now (and I never ever thought I would type those words).

Replies

• o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Anyone? :)
  • jennys11
    jennys11 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you for upping your calories. Way to go! You need to fuel your body, it's healthy. As far as exercising, 60 minutes of cardio a day sounds healthy, as long as you are eating more as well. Be sure to stay well hydrated as well. Yoga is excellent for the mind, body, and soul - so keep that up. As far as doing 5 days or 6 days a week, it's up to you, in my opinion. Definitely have a rest day. Say one week you only want to do 5 days, workout Mon/Tues, Wed rest, Thurs, Friday, Sat, workout and Sun rest. Something like that. I wouldn't do more than 60 minutes, especially b/c you aren't eating too much. Make sure your NET calories are above your BMR. That might take some time to do. You should be eating back most of your exercise calories. If you are exercising for 60 minutes and feel good, keep it up. If you need a break, take it. Listen to your body. Most important, eat to fuel yourself for the workouts. Stay hydrated. Have fun.
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Hi there, firstly congrats on recognizing your ED, and being willing to do something about it! Up to 1000 from 200 is awesome progress!

Secondly, I think I would continue to work out 6 days a week , but back it down to 45 -50 minutes. I know that doesnt sound like much, but when your dealing with an ED, it's best to make small changes so you don't get overwhelmed. I think if you cut an entire day out, you might be incline to put it back in, and honestly, doing something exercise wise every day is ok, as long as the intensity isn't too hard.
  • tlo5
    tlo5 Posts: 16
    Options
    I recommend that you read Runners World (online) about your calories and what you should be eating. I'm a runner as well and I think 4 miles a day and some strengthening exercises after the run would benefit you more. I do 3 short runs a mid run and a long run on the weekend. 5 good runs a week works for me... Its sounds like you are desiring to be fit which is awesome, but the nutritional part is key. Runners World has a lot of tips on nutrition for us runners. Be Blessed!
  • o_delaisse
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I think I'll go for 6 days a week, but cut back as you advise, to 45 / 50 mins. I was doing 90, but couldn't keep it up (that was before I was increasing calories).

And thanks for the Runners World suggestion, I'm looking at it now :)
  • ByrdMessy
    ByrdMessy Posts: 94
    Options
    Also pay attention to how hungry you are on days you are vs. aren't exercising. Is it easier for you to eat your calories after you've done cardio? Or are you hungrier on rest days? I think it's good advice to not change anything too drastically. How long have you been exercising like this? Do you know if you have any nutrient deficiencies?

For me, I've been very athletic in the past, but I'm just getting used to working out again. It's hard for me to listen to all the advice that says don't run for, like, months until your body can handle it. I've never been that interested in running before (I can swim, dance, bike, or walk for days but can't run two minutes) but right now that's what my body seems to want. Maybe it's just the challenge of doing what I can't.

Either way, it's different for everyone--when my calves are sore from jumping jacks, I do more strength and less cardio. When my arms are sore from push-ups, I dance. I haven't worked out a schedule like I'm sure you have. Don't completely change yours, but try to listen to how much rest each part of you needs. There's such a thing as a half-body rest day, no?
  • o_delaisse
    Options
    I sometimes get hungrier on rest days, but I think it's partly boredom (put it this way - someone said to me "go have a stir fry" and I was like "NO! PIZZA!!"). Actually, find rest days pretty rough. This one's been my worst so far, unless I'm coming down with something.

And i've been eating / exercising like this for nearly two years, apart from Oct - Dec, which was basically a bingeathon.