keeping the weight off with mono

Options
hey
so the doctor recently told me that i have both strep and mono =( i dont feel extremely sick, but he said that because of my enlarged spleen for the next three weeks i can't do strenuous physical activity or activity that might risk me falling or getting jostled around because it might cause it to rupture

any advice of how i can maintain my weight loss and muscle tone during this time? I know my health needs to be my top priority but I don't want to backtrack after I've been working so hard this past year. I'm allowed to walk on the treadmill, any other ideas?

Replies

• chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Keeping the weight off is more about the food and not the exercise. Keep your eating in line and you'll be fine. If all you can do is the treadmill, then increase the incline to add a little intensity.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Relax and get healthy. Three weeks of inactivity is fairly easy to reverse. Watch you food intake, don't obsess about it and get back to work as soon as you can.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to drink your water.
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I'm impressed! When I had mono, I swear I didn't move off the couch for two weeks because I couldn't muster the energy. Also couldn't swallow without crying that whole time.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Relax and get healthy. Three weeks of inactivity is fairly easy to reverse. Watch you food intake, don't obsess about it and get back to work as soon as you can.

^ Agree completely. Don't worry so much. Your body probably doesn't want to be in a calorie deficit if it's trying to recover from illness. Now is a good time to eat something you've been craving. Just make sure you get lots of good nutrients and take care of yourself, please, so you can get back to feeling better ASAP.
  • tlo5
    tlo5 Posts: 16
    Options
    Rest. Sometimes this is God's way of telling us that's what we need. Drink water, watch your food intake and rest. You'll be back before you know it. If you don't rest, you may worsen your condition. Be Blessed!
  • jac264
    jac264 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Lots of water - I lost 7 pounds in 2 weeks when I had mono. It was a severe case though - jaundiced, slept 20 hours a day and literally crawled to the bathroom. I couldn't eat a single thing because I was vomiting 5 times a day with a 103 degree fever and probably got most of my calories from gatorade (8 years later and I still can't drink red gatorade due to the bad memories). Sounds like you have a bit more energy though -- but what I guess I'm trying to say is that mono is nothing to mess around with - give your body the proper nutrients and water and don't worry too much about exercising. I know it seems like a huge setback, but the more you rest, the faster your body will get rid of the virus - the last thing you need is to overwork yourself and let things get worse!