Dear Motivation, I miss you.

Options
I started dieting on the 16th of January and lost 26 lbs within about 3.5 months. I ate really healthily, hardly ever cheated and was really proud of myself. But for some reason over the last few weeks i'm having more and more off days until the point when my diet is literally non-existent.

I think the possible reasons are: feeling run down, time of the month, feeling less huge so less need to lose more and it was my birthday last week so I treated myself way more than I should.

So, to get to the point, what keeps you motivated? I keep saying to myself 'start again tomorrow', eat well all day then eat too much in the evening. I've put on 4 lbs. How can I get back on track? I'm so annoyed with myself.

Replies

• sarahadele
    Options
    Also, I started MFP with a few friends and they've all stopped using it, which I think helped me keep going. If anyone uses MFP regularly please add me, as I think seeing other people doing well it encourages me to do well too. Also, does anyone know how to put your weight loss tracker thing on your posts? Can't work out how to do it.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Same here.... I find it harder every day to get going and to eat right. I have only put back one pound so far, but it worries me that I am going to give up.
  • LaurenRG827
    Options
    I am so so so, there with you. I am the poster child for losing motivation on this site. I started 2 years ago, lost 42lbs and then fell off the wagon to the point that I gained everything back and then some. I'm back now, with 8lbs lost so far.

We can stick with it, we can do this, all it takes is a little patience and support. Good luck and if you need a MFP buddy add me, the more people standing beside you the better.

-L
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post something like this. I was so motivated when I began. I don't know where it has gone :(
  • JuzJoJo
    JuzJoJo Posts: 8
    Options
    I hear you!
    I've been doing great for about a month and lately I just have no motivation.
    I find everything a chore which isn't good.
    I hate my new gym and Im just not taking the time for myself like I should
    Instead Im making excuses.
    I know better.
    Add me if you'd like..I need a push!!!
    Im sure we all do from time to time!!
  • twalton67
    twalton67 Posts: 16
    Options
    Sometimes you have to go back in order to go foreward, at least thats what I've been reading. I have been on a plateau for 2 weeks, and have been cheating. So its time for me, too to start being good and diligent again. Good luck!
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    My friends on here (people I don't even know) definitely keep me motivated. Just seeing them be successful makes me want to work harder!
  • lanenalatina
    lanenalatina Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I agree with everthing that has been said by everone here!!! I really don't know what I would do if I didn't had all the friends that truly motivate me every day even if it is on my worse day!!! So I think the more motivation you have here the better will do!!!! SO FEEL FREE TO ADD ME ANY ONE!!!! We can all help each other

6540321.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sarahadele
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support! I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling. I think i'm gonna try and put on my 'skinny' jeans again, see if that helps to kick start my diet AGAIN!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Are you trying an all or nothing approach to weight loss? What I mean is.. have you cut out ALL the foods you once enjoyed? I only ask because my motivation all but disappeared when I decided it was all or nothing. I started to feel irritable, resentful, and downright angry about the whole thing. Then I realized it doesn't have to be all or nothing. That I can eat healthy 80% of the time and enjoy life the other 20% of the time. I found that I was happier, more motivated and more likely to stay on track when I allowed myself a little bit of leeway.
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    My friends on here (people I don't even know) definitely keep me motivated. Just seeing them be successful makes me want to work harder!

Totally agree, I didn't start to get really focused or motivated until I added some inspiring friends!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Motivation is hard to keep sometimes. There are times you just have to push yourself no matter how much you hate it. Eventually the motivation comes back.
  • jaisea
    jaisea Posts: 3
    Options
    This is very motivating. I lost a bunch of weight last year and then gained it ALL back and then some. Now I'm trying to start again with a fresh slate. I'm hoping I learned from my last mistake. Losing a bunch of weight is NOT my goal this time around. It's staying healthy!
  • sarahadele
    Options
    Are you trying an all or nothing approach to weight loss? What I mean is.. have you cut out ALL the foods you once enjoyed? I only ask because my motivation all but disappeared when I decided it was all or nothing. I started to feel irritable, resentful, and downright angry about the whole thing. Then I realized it doesn't have to be all or nothing. That I can eat healthy 80% of the time and enjoy life the other 20% of the time. I found that I was happier, more motivated and more likely to stay on track when I allowed myself a little bit of leeway.

I started out as all or nothing, cut out all takeaway food, chocolate, and a lot of carbs. But gradually I started to eat them again. Probably a good idea to not cut it all out, I think I'm going to try that this time round. Thanks for the tip :)
  • camiller02
    Options
    I understand because this is my second time doing MFP. What I find works is that at night I log my food for the next day. By doing this I know exactly what I will eat the next day. I also look at the exercise as a way to eat a few more calories, or to give me a little more wiggle room with food. Remind yourself you do not want to regain the pound you worked so hard to loose. Do not look at the days you messed up as failure. Use it as a means to start fresh
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What has really helped me is that my roommates started using MFP. So I don't feel like I am being super annoying anymore when I ask how much of what was put into whatever was just cooked. But even if they weren't, I think I would still be going, because I am seeing the results. People are starting to comment that I look like I've lost weight. I am starting to feel better, even just after 20 lbs. I have been working hard and trying my best, and I would hate to see all that hard work be for nothing by getting lazy again.

Yes, it's easier to sit on my *kitten* and eat a bag of Doritos than it is to get up and get my *kitten* to the gym, or to log all of the calories I am eating, but in a few years when I have finally shed all of this weight I have been carrying around for my entire life, it will all be worth it.

Don't give up, because YOU are worth it.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you want to :o) just be sure and include a message when you send the friend request! I am on here daily :o)
  • sarahadele
    Options
    Thanks everyone, it's great to hear other people's stories. I've got quite a few people add me now so hopefully it will keep me wanting to reach my goal!

Feel much more enthusiastic now :)
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    [/quote
    This.. ^^^^^^^
    I find it so much easier knowing that i don;t have to deprive myself of all the things i love, i have learnt to have them in moderation..
    Also, just try and cast your mind back about how amazing u felt when u tried on a pair of jeans in a smaller size.... look back through your dairy to see how your were eating..

Good luck and add me if u like.x]
  • ginger_red
    ginger_red Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a decent amount of weight, I rewarded myself with a nice pair of jeans/shirt/piercing/tattoo every so often to keep me going. I fell off the wagon, so now I'm trying to fit back into those jeans from the first time! Periodic rewards really help, though.