Advice for leg cramping?

Options
Ever since I started up at the gym, I've been getting the odd leg cramp here and there (more my calves than my thighs). It goes away but then it starts coming back,especially when I'm trying to do my cardio. I have tried walking through it but I eventually have to stop my machine and hobble off in pain. The other day it was one calf, then the other, then when I was done working out my foot cramped up like a mofo. I've been upping my water in case that's part of the problem but still no change. I had to skip my workout today because it hurts too much to even walk :(

Does anyone have the same issue or know of how to fix this?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Try a magnesium supplement like Endurolytes (hammer nutrition). I use them in the summer due to an increased sweat factor.
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Gatorade (or any other sports drink). I like the lowcal G2 because it has lower calories and it doesn't make my stomach yucky. Muscle cramps are caused by lots of things, electrolyte (Magnesium, Potassium, Calcium, etc) imbalance, lactic acid build up, and dehydration. The gatorade would help with electrolytes. I also use a foam roller for myofacial release after long runs and bike rides. Hurts like H**L when you are doing it but helps tremendously to work out the cramps.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    Ever since I started up at the gym, I've been getting the odd leg cramp here and there (more my calves than my thighs). It goes away but then it starts coming back,especially when I'm trying to do my cardio. I have tried walking through it but I eventually have to stop my machine and hobble off in pain. The other day it was one calf, then the other, then when I was done working out my foot cramped up like a mofo. I've been upping my water in case that's part of the problem but still no change. I had to skip my workout today because it hurts too much to even walk :(

Banana, laughing cow cheese, advil, stretch and walk it off. Don't bother with the sports drink - most don't workout hard enough like a professional athlete to justify that drink and a banana contains more nutrients/cheaper for the same calories.

Advice from my boxing coach gives to his Olympic athletes.
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    hi friend! i have a special stretch i was taught at physio for when my calves tighten up!
    remind me to show you next time
    also maybe you should try just watching a work out dvd then you wont get the cramps! good point right?
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Banana, laughing cow cheese, advil, stretch and walk it off. Don't bother with the sports drink - most don't workout hard enough like a professional athlete to justify that drink and a banana contains more nutrients/cheaper for the same calories.

I'd never thought about the cheese... that's a good idea. I agree with sports drinks not being used for everything. The only time I really drink them is if I'm outside on a long run or long bike ride. For someone living where it's 90 degrees at 5am and 100+ in the afternoon in the summer sweat is not optional and you loose a lot more electrolytes than a banana will replenish. (not trying to be snarky, just a different point of view)
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Potassium could help. In the past, when I got muscle cramps I started eating more bananas and they go away or happen less often.
  • skb32881
    skb32881 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have that problem when I start doing a new exercise or when I work harder than usual. And mine always seem to come on in my sleep or other leisure activities but once in awhile they do while I'm working out. For me getting plenty of water and potassium seems to help. I have potassium supplements and I will eat potassium rich foods such as bananas. I'm not much of a stretcher (shame on me) but I bet that would help out quite a bit too.
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I used to get these horribly a night! I started taking potassium, magnesium, and calcium supplements every night and I've not had one in about a month.
  • Emellon
    Emellon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many great replies! Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely give those tips a go and hope for the best!
    It would be so nice to be cramp-free, I also get them at night if I stretch in my sleep. :grumble:
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Milk, that's what I've been told before.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Eat potatoes, they're really high in potassium (more so than bananas) and sweet potatoes are really good for you.
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options

THIS^^^^^ and lots of water
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    everyone seems to be pointing at the nutrition side of this problem and no one mentions stretching? ive read tons of threads on mfp about how stretching does nothing and they always have these studies to back them up, well... the reason why collegiate and professional athletes warm up and stretch is because IT WORKS.. i realize this is a rant in the middle of your question .. my answer is to stretch and also cool down afterwards , easy steps to take so you dont get hurt
  • JonathansMom0910
    Options
    Be VERY careful with this. If you have one that lasts longer than a few minutes it could be a blood clot. TRUST me on this. I had one that lasted for a couple days-I thought it was a pulled muscle.....I ended up with so many clots in my leg and lungs I almost died and had "the most impressive lung scan he'd ever seen" said my pulmonologist...

I just don't want anyone to write them off as something simple if they aren't that's all. I am not trying to freak you out either.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options

if it happens when you exercise, goes away when you stop, comes back when you start, it could be vascular issues such as blood clots, or compartment syndrome. If it's a once in awhile thing, then probably nutrition. But if it happens more than half the time when you exercise, go see a doctor. Compartment syndrome and blood clots can be deadly. And if the cramps are so bad that you can't walk sometimes, that sounds like more than just nutrition based issues.
  • Emellon
    Emellon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Be VERY careful with this. If you have one that lasts longer than a few minutes it could be a blood clot. TRUST me on this. I had one that lasted for a couple days-I thought it was a pulled muscle.....I ended up with so many clots in my leg and lungs I almost died and had "the most impressive lung scan he'd ever seen" said my pulmonologist...

I just don't want anyone to write them off as something simple if they aren't that's all. I am not trying to freak you out either.

Wow, that's scary! It's started going away but if it comes back again it might be time for a trip to the doc to make sure. I'm glad you're ok!
  • melissafranks90
    Options
    Wow that's crazy my friend had the same issue but she stopped exercising and had a cramp in her leg and went to the hospital to find it was a blood clot, but it traveled to her heart and she passed away she was my age - 21 . Everyone just be careful if you notice something abnormal and it lasts seek a professional that's my opinion.
  • Chimeramonster
    Options
    Diet tonic water. We're a crampy people, my family, and it's indispensable.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Get an electrolyte mix packet for your water.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Never saw stretching after the workout mentioned, nor a good warmup of just slow walking to get blood flowing into the muscles. Perhaps a little stretching after that warmup. Never stretch cold.