100 Calorie Snack Packs?

deedaltz
deedaltz Posts: 28 Member
I am interested to hear everyones take on 100 calorie snack packs. I understand that they're not great but would you anyone say theyre okay every once in awhile?

Replies

• WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    What are they? Packs of nibbles or nuts you've made up for yourself? Or are these a commercially made and sold item?
  • deedaltz
    They are commercially made, Im referring to something like Nabisco snack packs. One of them is chips ahoy crackers, 100 cals, 2g of fat
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Most 100 calorie packs are the same junk food being sold in larger packages, they are just packing them in 100 calorie baggies and charging you extra to do so.

I think you'd be better off making your own baggies of snacks and they don't even have to be 100 calories, just some amount that fits into your daily calories. I usually pack mine as one serving. That's one ounce of nuts or beef jerky or carrots or raisins or whatever else is my snack. I buy those little snack sized zipper baggies and pack the whole package into servings so I can easily grab them and go. Other good options are string cheese or a hard boiled egg.
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    I like them!!! I usually have a box in my desk drawer at work and I use it for a quick easy 100 calorie snack. Now I don't eat them all the time BUT I do like them as a snack on the run :-)
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    We bought a box of Cheezits for $2.00, it made 18 bags, a box that cost $2.50 had six bags.
  • MisterTEZ
    MisterTEZ Posts: 272 Member
    Most 100 calorie packs are the same junk food being sold in larger packages, they are just packing them in 100 calorie baggies and charging you extra to do so.

I think you'd be better off making your own baggies of snacks and they don't even have to be 100 calories, just some amount that fits into your daily calories. I usually pack mine as one serving. That's one ounce of nuts or beef jerky or carrots or raisins or whatever else is my snack. I buy those little snack sized zipper baggies and pack the whole package into servings so I can easily grab them and go. Other good options are string cheese or a hard boiled egg.

Brilliant ideas, thanks
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I buy them once in a while (when I find them cheap). I actually found a 6 pack package of the mini brownies at the dollar store and they were the Kebler brand. That's more than you get in the store bought box for less than 1/2 of what they charge.

I like them occasionally because it's like getting a treat, but it's already portioned for me so I'm not tempted to eat a whole box of them.
  • deedaltz
    Thanks, thats what I was wondering. I usually dont have a lot of time in the morning so I was looking for something quick to pack for lunch. But making my own bags the night before seems like a better idea. =D
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    If you mean snack pack pudding, then I eat a lot of those. I go for the 80-90 calorie non fat pudding and have one almost every day of the week. It's a good way to get a little sweet without buying a candy bar or ice cream!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    I don't buy buy those.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,374 Member
    I buy a big can of peanuts & use those snack baggies...I count out 1 or 2 servings per baggie so that I can grab it & go without having to stand there & count out 30 peanuts b4 I leave the house...I haven't eaten nuts in years but now I love them again!
  • missmelissavpk
    missmelissavpk Posts: 22 Member
    Sugar free snack pack PUDDING is wonderful. Very low in fat, no sugar and only 60 calories per serving. There is also sugar-free jello that is 10 calories per serving. Both make great desserts at the end of the day. If you are referring to the 100 calories packs of cookies or muffins, I do believe those are still bad for you. They are just measured into 100 calorie portions to catch the dieters eye. Check sugar and fat content, no just calories. Good luck!
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 720 Member
    I had to cut them out. I like the idea of them but when I found myself eating 3-4 packs of them a day it was a problem.
  • Emellon
    Emellon Posts: 36 Member
    They're not as bad as everyone says. I stumbled across a multi-variety box at Costco that came with Sunchips, Baked Cheetos and Smartfood White Cheddar popcorn. Great deal! No matter how clean I eat, I'll get a craving for something salty and these are perfect for that. 100 calories out of my day is nothing, and it's better than binging on a huge bag of Doritos (which I've done. ick). I just drink more water and I'm fine.

The key is moderation and to not deprive yourself. It can set you up for failure.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Pretty much anything is ok once in a while. Sometimes I even eat cake!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    I have tried these. Big disappointment and not much for the calories you spend.
  • feduh86
    feduh86 Posts: 790 Member
    I always have a 90-100 calorie snack pack! I love the thinsations chocolate pretzels (100 calories), i would eat that all the time, and now im into the cinnamon strudel crispy minis (rice cakes - 90 calories), both are sooo good, and i take em to school with me or work and such and munch on em when im hungry, sometimes i have 2 a day =) they arent that bad especially if i have a long day =)
  • Vench
    Vench Posts: 56 Member
    Tasteless wastes of money and calories. You can do so much better portioning out your own snacks into Zip-Lock bags.
  • thatkatt
    thatkatt Posts: 6
    I buy some Nabisco / Honey Maid cheesecake bars that I absolutely love!!! They satisfy my cheesecake craving in 100 calories! I also got the brownie bite ones to satisfy my chocolate cravings. Maybe they aren't good for other people, but I love them.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    I usually bag up my own snacks. To me, unless you're buying something you can't get in a bigger bag or box, they're a waste of money (as other posters have already said, they charge you extra, sometimes 3x the cost!, to put it in disposable packaging).

My wife, on the other hand, buys the 100-calorie packs. Only time I get really mad at her for it is when she buys the Cheez-its and the pretzels when we had a big package of both in the pantry.