Judgements on Weight Loss

Options
I've recently gone into the forums again to look at the posts that people post and I have an observation: It seems like some members forget about the support portion of My fitness pal and attack others who are doing something different than they are doing. I would like to share my story and then ask others to think about what they are saying to other members and why the comments may be hurtful rather than supportive.

I grew up thin. I was always curvy, (and therefore never satisfied with my weight) but I knew that I was't overweight. I just spent my teenaged years trying to be 10 lbs lighter (like my best friend at the time). I went to college and gained the freshman 15. I wanted to lose the freshman 15 so I went to the school nutritionist. I truly had no idea what I was eating that was bad (fried chicken burgers with fries and chocolate chip cookie squares, anyone? I thought if i only ate 1/2 the bun, that was being "healthy"). So I went to the school nutritionist, looking to see if she had some healthy options that I could eat in the cafeterias that would help me lose what I'd gained in 3 months. This was at Dartmouth College, mind you, so you'd think they'd be hiring fairly qualified people. She spent the entire session trying to determine if I was anorexic. Some of the questions:

Nutritiionist: "Do you throw up?"
Me: "When I'm sick or drink too much..."
N: do you drink too much so that you'll throw up?
M: errrr. no? That's pretty gross.
N: Well, how thin do you want to be?
M: I want to fit into the pants i packed when I came here three months ago. I just don't want to buy new pants. They won't button.
N: Well...you're not going to get thinner than you are without starving yourself.
M: But I WAS thinner. Can't you just tell me what I should be eating at the cafeteria?
N: How thin do you want to be? Your thigh, for instance. Do you want it to be about the size of my arm?
M: (Bewildered). Why would I want that? Can't I just tell you what' I've been eating?
N: Well...you don't have an eating disorder.
M: I didn't think I did... I took health class in high school. I just want to lose what I just gained
N: Get used to it.

She then gave me a copy of the food pyramid. I swear, I'm not making this up. I wonder how many girls ended up with eating disorders after seeing this woman.

Fast forward 4 years. I worked as a waitress and suddenly I lost all of the weight that had been plaguing me in college. Then I got my first job and promptly gained it back, because according to the news fat was bad so I ate lots of pasta. I joined a gym and worked out. I spent most of my 20's in the gym. I did spin, rockclimbing, triathlons, rollerlablading, I ate what i wanted, i lost the weight, i looked good. Then I hit my 30's and met my husband. We ordered lots of ice cream and movies from a delivery sevice. All of a suden, my breasts stated growing and before i knew it my jogbras didn't fit. it was awful going to the gym...everyone would stare. i started a string of diets (read all of the books) tried a bunch, but it was atkins that caused the first big stir. I swear... I would go to restaurants and order a plain hamburger no bun and no fries and I would get a nutritional lecture from my waiter. Somehow it was fine to eat the burge with fries and a bun, but so unhealthy not to. Eventually, I just got a breast reduction.

Then in my late 30's I had a series of injuries. I went to a doctor to fix a foot problem, he made it worse, and I could barely walk. I was on a scooter in NYC. it was awful. And I was so depressed that i couldn't be active anymore...that was a large part of my identity. I gained a bunch of weight, even though I watched what I ate. I watched like a hawk but eventually, my weight increased to about 160...when I got pregnant. The pregnancy was awful. I couldn't eat or look or smell meat. My diet consisted primarily of fish and lean meats and veggies but plain pasta and perogies were the only things I could eat. I gained 85 lbs....i ended up somewhere around 213 after my son was born. Ironically, the pregancy stretched my feet out, which helped the foot problem. I started walking and biking again. I lost about 30 lbs and then stopped losing. It was my eary 30's again. i just stalled. I gave up. THere was too much with my job, my son, breastfeeding.

Finally, i tried a diet plan that my friend used. I started logging my food. I've lost another 41 lbs. But when I got on this site, I found that the posts were so judgemental. The diet plan in question was a magnet for mean people. You'll gain it all back! You're fat because you ate fast food and can't control yourself! Diets don't work! Calories in, calories out! I stopped reading the forums. I found a group on the same diet and they have been supportive and wonderful.

I just saw this post where this woman had the temerity to say that she wasn't eating her exercise calories back and she was practically crucified. Not everyone's body is the same. It's better to lose the weight faster and not be obese than it is to be obese. People judge you for being obese, they judge you for how you're losing it. I guess I'm just saying, stop judging us until you've walked a mile in our shoes.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    You're judging the judges? *sigh*
  • jjavers24
    jjavers24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for writing such a kind and open post. I agree with you - I take it all with a grain of salt. Oh...and I'm trying to lower my sodium levels. haha
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    calories in vs calories out is the way to go unless you are an elite athlete. I have gotten a good laugh at some of posts I have read, they read an article and buy it without investigating the source. I feel that when people are stuck they need to change up the exercise maybe invest in a trainer and really push.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Like your statement. Sorry you had so many problems while you were trying to lose weight over the years, but also congrats on deciding to stay with it and finding a way that suited you and your lifestyle.

I would agree that there are some very judgmental posts on here, some are trying to state what worked for them and don't think about the fact that everyone is different, some just want to be right, some just want to be mean. Unfortunately that's the way people in general are, even if they don't truly want to be. I would be nice if everyone would think about what others are going through or have gone through before posting but unless they have known the people all their lives it's hard to wrap their minds around it. I know that I've been judgmental about things but I hope that I don't come off as that way when I post. You are right that there needs to be more support on here then judgement, but until people understand that the stranger that reads/ or writes the post isn't exactly the same as themselves there is always going to be judgement in one way or another.
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Great post.
  • geral64
    geral64 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My experience has been very similar. Thank you for your post!
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    How DARE you judge all the "experts" on here !!! They live YOUR live, in YOUR body !!! THEY know what's best for you !!!:laugh:
  • AmyCurrie
    Options
    This is a wonderful post!!! I do calories in and calories out - because that is "easy" for me. I can wrap my mind around how that works. I KNOW there could be more to it, and I could find the glycemic index of every food on the planet, or I could do a different diet. But as my doctor told me, "I don't care WHICH diet you choose - just stick with it!!" They ALL work - because they are all changing the way that you eat (and in effect, changing the calories you are eating.) It is just PERSPECTIVE and in reality - if you are doing calories in and calories out, raw foods, juicing, atkins, south beach, p90x, insanity YOU WILL GAIN IT ALL BACK ... if you don't keep an eye on it! Maintenance is maintenance - for ALL OF US!! But - everyone is clearly an expert - right?? that's why we ARE ALL STILL HERE trying to LOSE THE FREAKING WEIGHT!!!
  • Erika1962
    Erika1962 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This is a wonderful post!!! I do calories in and calories out - because that is "easy" for me. I can wrap my mind around how that works. I KNOW there could be more to it, and I could find the glycemic index of every food on the planet, or I could do a different diet. But as my doctor told me, "I don't care WHICH diet you choose - just stick with it!!" They ALL work - because they are all changing the way that you eat (and in effect, changing the calories you are eating.) It is just PERSPECTIVE and in reality - if you are doing calories in and calories out, raw foods, juicing, atkins, south beach, p90x, insanity YOU WILL GAIN IT ALL BACK ... if you don't keep an eye on it! Maintenance is maintenance - for ALL OF US!! But - everyone is clearly an expert - right?? that's why we ARE ALL STILL HERE trying to LOSE THE FREAKING WEIGHT!!!

And another person that does NOT have blinders on, makes me believe that there are actually some people on here with common sense :drinker:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The only person ima judge right now is that nutritionist. She is clueless and sounds like she would do way more harm than good.
  • christinet8504
    Options
    RIGHT??? Half the time you just want to bust out the all caps and reply SHUT UP to half these threads. Giving suggestions is one thing, being a totally prick isn't going to help anyone.
  • tldust
    tldust Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just wanna say good post!
  • Stacivogue
    Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Also, after I lost 30 lbs, my foot felt much better, so I could bike and walk even more. I think it's so important to support people and be supportive. What we are trying to do is hard! Without MFP friends I would never have made it back into a size 10. And now I believe that I can do it.
  • Kristy161089
    Options
    There's always going to be people who are like this. I'm a young teacher (22 y.o) and was 95kg in August last year. I finally decided to admit that I needed help with weight loss and started Tony Ferguson (meal replacement). People at work made fun of me for doing shakes, saying it wasn't going to work, that I'd gain the weight back when I started " eating" again blah blah blah. I ended up losing 28ish kg on this and then a further 7kg doing my own healthy eating. I have not gained weight back because I learned healthy habits on tony ferguson. I had a great, supportive consultant who taught me alot about portion control and calories etc.

Now that I'm eating "normally" (healthily of course) people at work now make fun of me for eating. They make comments like oh you're eating! Whats for lunch today? A blueberry muttin? Oh you're slipping! What they don't know is that I factor it into my calories and when I tell them this, they scoff.

Basically, I bring it down to jealousy and this is their way of coping. It helps me get through work each day but I still get really angry that people can't just say "Well done on the weight loss!'

I also agree that everybody is different and everyone has a right to their own opinion
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There's always going to be people who are like this. I'm a young teacher (22 y.o) and was 95kg in August last year. I finally decided to admit that I needed help with weight loss and started Tony Ferguson (meal replacement). People at work made fun of me for doing shakes, saying it wasn't going to work, that I'd gain the weight back when I started " eating" again blah blah blah. I ended up losing 28ish kg on this and then a further 7kg doing my own healthy eating. I have not gained weight back because I learned healthy habits on tony ferguson. I had a great, supportive consultant who taught me alot about portion control and calories etc.

Now that I'm eating "normally" (healthily of course) people at work now make fun of me for eating. They make comments like oh you're eating! Whats for lunch today? A blueberry muttin? Oh you're slipping! What they don't know is that I factor it into my calories and when I tell them this, they scoff.

Basically, I bring it down to jealousy and this is their way of coping. It helps me get through work each day but I still get really angry that people can't just say "Well done on the weight loss!'

I also agree that everybody is different and everyone has a right to their own opinion

I can't believe how rude the people in your work are. You've done amazing and at the end if the day noone wants to only eat salad and fruit for the rest of their life. Ofcourse u will eat less healthy treats but if it fits into your cals what's the problem.

There are 2 girls in my work doing tony Ferguson, one is doing amazing on it and the other is struggling. I've showed them both this site as they can log their shakes and then watch what else they are eating. It sounds like you did everything right. Well done
  • terrie_exercise_mom
    Options
    Great post!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Indeed.

What works for one person does NOT work for everyone however that point seems to be over looked. Just because eating 6 small meals a day works for you, or just lifting weights and not doing cardio or eating back all your exercise calories works for you does not mean it's going to work for me.

Everyone has to figure out what works for them. There is no blanket one-size-fits all answer to the insane and (annoying) questions about exercise calories.

I know for me I have to do cardio along with my weights. If I don't, I gain weight no matter how little I eat. I also know that the small meals/eating every few hours also doesn't work for me. How do I know this? Because I've done them both! Right now my husband and I are trying to shed some weight and we've upped our cardio and don't eat our exercise calories back. Most of the time we're well below our "goal" calories for the day but I am never hungry at the end of the day. If I'm hungry I eat. If I'm not I don't. If I go over my calories I fix it the next day. If I'm under I don't shove food down my throat just for the sake of meeting or exceeding my calories.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

I do the same! In fact this is how I lost over 100 pounds and have kept it off for several years. I eat healthy the majority of the time, I treat myself once a week and even now I log my calories in/calories out. Oh sure, there are a million different ways to lose weight out there, some good and some bad, but each of us needs to find a healthy way to lose weight that works for us and go with it. The goal for myself and I think most of us is to lead healthier and more active lives!