Increasing calorie intake without gaining.

Options
I've been eating too low of calories and I really need to start to up my intake; I eat plenty, just they are not calorie dense foods. I want to up my intake without gaining the weight back though, will adding 100 calories to my daily intake each week work or should I add more or less?

Has anyone been in this situation, what did you do?

Replies

• Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I added 150 and lost :)
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    @Jade17694 - Just any type of food or?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I think is also depends on how long you have been at a very low calorie level.
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    @Sarauk2sf - About 7 weeks, just gradually got lower as I lost my appetite. I really want my hunger back.
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Bump! ! I plan on gradually upping my calories!! Advice!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    That should be fine. On my normal days, I eat a fairly low amount of calories (big salads, mainly) and exercise. Then I have some off days, like this weekend for the holiday, that are higher in calories. I usually don't gain anything when I do this because the healthier days balance it out.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I do not think 7 weeks will have messed your metabolism up too bad (but am happy to be corrected) so you shoud be able up up them pretty quickly without temporarily impacting your weight too much (i.e. go up as your body gets used to the higher calories). Here is a link about success on upping calories you may find useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539980-people-who-have-had-success-by-upping-their-calories?
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    @kindra3434 - I might try 100-150 more for a week..
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing 100 cal increase daily for a week as well when I get to my goal weight until I'm at my maintenanceTDEE. I think that much should be fine.

Increasing my workouts gives me hunger...
  • SuzieZimm
    SuzieZimm Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    (i'm no expert, but this is just what I've learned from MFP)
    You won't gain by upping your calories, unless you go beyond your daily expenditure and take in more than you burn. If you're at a 500calorie deficit...upping your calories so that you instead have a 350 calorie deficit is not going to make you gain weight.
    I actually just went through this this week. I was at 1500 net calories..but was on a plateau. To give myself a boost, I upped it to 1650 calories. Has been working alright so far!
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    I do not think 7 weeks will have messed your metabolism up too bad (but am happy to be corrected) so you shoud be able up up them pretty quickly without temporarily impacting your weight too much (i.e. go up as your body gets used to the higher calories). Here is a link about success on upping calories you may find useful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539980-people-who-have-had-success-by-upping-their-calories?

Okay, thanks for your help :)
  • kindra3434
    kindra3434 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

THANKS guys
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

You are welcome - and good luck.
  • bambamz
    bambamz Posts: 6
    Options
    When I get to a plateau, I up my calories (or cheat) for a day or two and then go back to my 1200 calories/day! And I'll lose a pound or two. If I get stuck again, I do the same thing. Hope that helps. Oh and I guess I need to mention, I don't exercise due to back problems, but I try to stay busy doing every day chores!
  • BodyPositive
    Options
    I am not looking to lose weight really, I am trying to gain lean muscle whilst fat burning. I need to do more research me thinks!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am not looking to lose weight really, I am trying to gain lean muscle whilst fat burning. I need to do more research me thinks!

To gain lean muscle you really need to up your calories and weight train (sorry if I am telling you something you already know!). Another link that may be helpful (or at least motivational):

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535512-real-mfp-women-weight-training-befores-and-afters