Detoxing

Options

Replies

• StephyJarn
    StephyJarn Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm ordering the book to get more information , I haven't decided yet. I posted the forum to get everyone's opinion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    People on here either give good advice or act like snob know-it-alls. Unpleasant.

And the good advice gets ignored
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as "detoxing" your body. Your body has a perfectly capable system for removing toxins from your body, and the best thing to assist it is water and some fiber. Faddish "systems", " cleanses" or "detoxes" are money-grabs for gullible desperate people. "my friend said she lost 10 pounds in one week"? Really? Well I have a friend who takes up smoking to lose weight. That's not a brilliant idea either. Besides, we are mostly water and carry between 5-15 pounds of waste in our intestines/bowels. Any snake oil mix with a diuretic and laxative thrown in will make it look like you just lost a bunch of weight, but its not FAT.

agree with this!!

I, too, have always heard that the body does not need to be "detoxed."

I agree that we are made to detox ourselves, but we don't really allow our bodies to do it. How can someone fully detox when they are eating processed foods, preservatives, hydrogenated oils, etc? These are things our bodies ARE capable of detoxing, but the process is much, much slower for these foods as compared to whole foods that have not been processed such as veggies, fruits, etc. Our bodies may be able to detox that crap in time, but I don't see the harm in eating healthily, juicing and having a diet with less processed foods and weird crap that you can't even pronounce in our food. Avoiding that stuff will surely help one's body detox more and faster! I'm not saying that you have to use some weird foot pads or do the Master Cleanse, because I am definitely discouraging that. But my point is that there are healthy ways to detox that should not be written off immediately just because "th e body can detox itself"...

I'm doing the sun dried liver and ma huang detox. It's working for me. I have lost almost all my electrolites in only three days! Don't let the haters hate.

Jesus Christ, wait, what??. Do you mean electrolytes? You realize electrolytes are necessary and that your body requires a very careful balance of them yes? It's not about haters hating, though I know that seems to be the go to around here when anyone is doing something incredibly stupid to their bodies and doesnt want to hear it.

In physiology, the primary ions of electrolytes are sodium (Na+), potassium (K+), calcium (Ca2+), magnesium (Mg2+), chloride (Cl−), hydrogen phosphate (HPO42−), and hydrogen carbonate (HCO3−). The electric charge symbols of plus (+) and minus (−) indicate that the substance is ionic in nature and has an imbalanced distribution of electrons, the result of chemical dissociation. Sodium is the main electrolyte found in extracellular fluid and is involved in fluid balance and blood pressure control.

All known higher lifeforms require a subtle and complex electrolyte balance between the intracellular and extracellular environment. In particular, the maintenance of precise osmotic gradients of electrolytes is important. Such gradients affect and regulate the hydration of the body as well as blood pH, and are critical for nerve and muscle function. Various mechanisms exist in living species that keep the concentrations of different electrolytes under tight control.

Both muscle tissue and neurons are considered electric tissues of the body. Muscles and neurons are activated by electrolyte activity between the extracellular fluid or interstitial fluid, and intracellular fluid. Electrolytes may enter or leave the cell membrane through specialized protein structures embedded in the plasma membrane called ion channels. For example, muscle contraction is dependent upon the presence of calcium (Ca2+), sodium (Na+), and potassium (K+). Without sufficient levels of these key electrolytes, muscle weakness or severe muscle contractions may occur.

Electrolyte balance is maintained by oral, or in emergencies, intravenous (IV) intake of electrolyte-containing substances, and is regulated by hormones, generally with the kidneys flushing out excess levels. In humans, electrolyte homeostasis is regulated by hormones such as antidiuretic hormone, aldosterone and parathyroid hormone. Serious electrolyte disturbances, such as dehydration and overhydration, may lead to cardiac and neurological complications and, unless they are rapidly resolved, will result in a medical emergency.
    Sarchasm (n) - The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

:drinker:
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    And the good advice gets ignored because somebody who is better than everyone else has to ruin it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    And the good advice gets ignored because somebody who is better than everyone else has to ruin it.

Don't you mean - someone who 'thinks' they are better than everyone else.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    As an aside, I'm not for detoxing, unless your an addict in rehab.

But this brings up a good point. To get ones self off of drugs or alcohol, to detox, what do you do? Smoke crazy stuff? Drink weird concoctions? No?

No. You simply stop using drugs and alcohol.

So what do you need to detox yourself from? Highly processed crap foods? Too much candy and sugar? Soda?

Want to know how to detox that? Stop eating and drinking the toxins. Start eating and drinking healthfully. That is the only true way to detox ones body.

I'm always so confused when people detox for weight loss. The two do not seem mutually inclusive.

This is probably the most sensible thing I have ever read in regard to detoxing. Remove the toxins from your diet and you have nothing to "detox" . Eat the whole fruit, eat the whole vegetable and your body will do the rest. :drinker:
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options

They make it obvious that they don't 'think' it. They know it.
  • StephyJarn
    Options
    You agree that (Kenny guy) thinks I'm trying to sale a product ? That is where this all started! I wanted more information!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Ah, well, if the poster I was responding to was using "sarcastic wit" it was overshadowed by the fact they didn't even spell electrolytes correctly.

And since ephedra or ma haung is used in traditional "herbal medicine" I could totally see someone making a cleanse with it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Some of them actually do know it. So, by definition, it IS good advice. There are 90% of folks so far saying there is no point in doing this - whether they 'know it' or not - they are all saying the same thing, so I am a little lost as to your point.
  • LizKurz
    Options
    You agree that (Kenny guy) thinks I'm trying to sale a product ? That is where this all started! I wanted more information!

I'm not sure who you are specifically asking, but no, I do not think you are trying to peddle anything. You came across as actually asking a question, not as someone asking simply to then peddle the product.
  • christinet8504
    Options

I think Kenny means that the Master Cleanse is a scam and they are praying on people (presumably you in this case) to pad their own pockets by promising a too-good-to be-true result. Not that you are a sales person for them. Thats how I took his post anyway.
  • StephyJarn
    Options
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that gave me their opinions ! Thats why I posted this! I wanted to know the good and the bad of the master cleanse! Obviously I didn't post this to "sell" a product because I knew nothing about the detox which I just found out its called the cleanse lol!
  • sphinxdust
    sphinxdust Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Anyone done the the Lemon Detox Diet aka Master Cleanse ?

http://mastercleansesecrets.com/book.php?hop=simconi
    Nope, I haven't done it, but I never detox. I find that detoxing is something that should be done on a daily basis, moderately, comprehensively within your diet. The people that I know that detox often are bingers who are unhealthy most of the time. If you live a diet that is your normal lifestyle that incorporates plenty of fluids, daily sweating through bouts with exercise, proper stretching techniques or even yoga that challenges the body's systems from an internal point of view, detox is never necessary.

If you feel, however, that an emergency detox is something you need for specific purposes, by all means, do all the research and cleanse what you need to cleanse.
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options

Some of them actually do know it. So, by definition, it IS good advice. There are 90% of folks so far saying there is no point in doing this - whether they 'know it' or not - they are all saying the same thing, so I am a little lost as to your point.

I'm not saying that the people who give advice do not know what they are talking about. It's when they do give advice, they tend to belittle the person asking the question. And by belittling, I mean they make them feel stupid. Hence: "Don't you mean - someone who 'thinks' they are better than everyone else."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

I'm not saying that the people who give advice do not know what they are talking about. It's when they do give advice, they tend to belittle the person asking the question. And by belittling, I mean they make them feel stupid. Hence: "Don't you mean - someone who 'thinks' they are better than everyone else."

Huh?? I said that after your comment - so why the 'hence'?. Shouldn't it be 'For example'?
  • LizKurz
    Options
    It's odd, I only saw 2 posts that fit this criteria, and mine was one of them. And it was in response to the other one, which said the same old belittling cliche, haters gonna hate, which I can already tell is a recurring theme from those that have a very close minded narrow view, and dont wish to be told otherwise.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

I think Kenny means that the Master Cleanse is a scam and they are praying on people (presumably you in this case) to pad their own pockets by promising a too-good-to be-true result. Not that you are a sales person for them. Thats how I took his post anyway.
    Yes, pretty obvious, I thought.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Ah, well, if the poster I was responding to was using "sarcastic wit" it was overshadowed by the fact they didn't even spell electrolytes correctly.

And since ephedra or ma haung is used in traditional "herbal medicine" I could totally see someone making a cleanse with it.

It was either that, or rhino horn. They both go well with sun dried liver.
  • Michelerainville
    Options
    maybe looking at 'detox' in a different way - a way to jump start a healthy diet - abstaining from past diet and cleansing your way of seeing food.

losing weight by eating healthy - meaning RAW FRESH FRUITS and RAW, FRESH, GREENS and plenty of em ... exercise and good sleep etc.

detox - no processed food - NONE and be firm and strong for yourself