Dr suggested weight training - Any tips/suggestions?

Options
I just got back from a visit with my family doctor, and she was impressed with my weight loss up to date, especially because it's not been done thru a crash fad diet. When I told her the types of exercises I've been doing - treadmill, walking outside, Zumba - she said that cardio is great, but that I should start lifting weights now to help things along. She told me that lifting weights helps burn calories throughout the day, and it helps break any plateaus. She suggested just 2 to 3 times a week too. Free weights or kettle balls, she says it's all great.

What would you suggest, my fellow MFP users? Free weights? Kettle balls? Any specific routines? Should I look it up on youtube? Any good sites you could link me to?

I am a mom to a 1 and a 2 year old. I can't really get out to the gym at all. Dr says I can even lift when they are playing legos even, that it's that easy. Any help you guys suggest would be awesome!! Thanks!

14839892.png

Replies

• NoMoreJellyRolls
    Options
    I would google weight training for busy women, or beginner weight training to give you ideas and suggestions on how to slowly work it into your daily activities. I go to the gym and I will grab 2 weights that I feel comfortable with (You should start with 5lbs if you havent done any weight training) and I will do 5 mins on the treadmill without weights, 2 with the weights for the 1st 25 mins. Then I will do 3 mins without the weights, jump off and do 15 reps on each arm, hop back on treadmill, etc. Everybody is different on what works for them. I havent been using this site as much as I need to be, but Ive lost 60lbs since Aug, and most of it has been since I added weights to my workouts.

Good luck!:smile:
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Anyone else? I know there are tons of people on here who weight train! :)
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump??
  • NotParis
    NotParis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you can get a session with a personal trainer, usually if you tell the trainer you just want to learn to do strength training, they should show you proper form and a good workout.
    If that is not a possibility, I have been using Jaime Eason's LiveFit 12 week challenge.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-introduction.html.
    This program shows you how to do each of the exercises and has printables for you. You go with the weights that you need to and work your way up. I have seen a huge increase in my strength as well as the size of my arms. This program is a complete program that comes with a nutritional aspect. I am not following any other part of the program, only the strength.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Chalean Extreme is really good and a lot of people use it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    new rules of lifting for women or strong lifts 5x5.

both focus on complex movements that work multiple muscles.

my suggestion is dont be afraid to lift heavy. most women grossly underestimate their strength. and remember that as long as you are eating too many calories or taking steroids, you won get bulky.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Check out www.beachbody.com. They have several video programs that all produce great results. I've been using the original P90 videos (b/c I bought them long ago & recently found them languishing in a box) and recently added their Slim in 6 program because I found it at my local library. I also use some of Billy Blanks Tae Bo workouts - Tae Bo Cardio and Tae Bo Total Body Blaster that I found cheap somewhere or other. You can get great results with just 3 - 5 lb weights and as you get stronger move up to 8 - 10 lbs. Some of the videos use "resistance bands" that also give great results and can be found in sporting goods stores.

You should be able to find several videos for circuit training at your local town libraries to try before you buy the expensive videos. You can often find videos for sale cheap at flea markets or ebay. You can also get great tips and methods from books like New Rules of Lifting that someone already mentioned.

Good Luck to you!
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    If you have the extra cash, I suggest buying Chalean Extreme along with a set of heavy weights. The circuits are only 3 times a week for approximately 30 minutes :)