I am CONSTANTLY hungry

Options

Replies

• infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've made my diary public so you guys can take a looksie.

It seems like the general consensus is that I am trying to lose too quickly. I of course want to reach my ideal weight sooner rather than later, but I think changing the goal to .5 - 1 lb a week is sound advice. (Just not what I wanted to hear.) :)

I personally would not be happy with 1/2 lbs a week but it may work for you. Remember if you go too slow you are going to get discouraged with "not losing anything" easily too. Keep that in mind: how hungry I want to be vs. how quickly do i need to see it come off so I don't get discouraged. It's a balancing act. :smile:

Everyone is different and it's all in what's attainable.

The weight took a long time to go on, don't expect it to come off by tomorrow. :wink:

Can you clarify for me please:

Are you suggesting that anyone who doesn't lose weight at a fast pace will get discouraged and give up? What about those of us who lose inches? Are we destined to get discouraged even though we've dropped pant sizes?

Do you really believe you have to be hungry to lose weight? I lost twenty pounds last year and wasn't hungry and didn't feel deprived once.

Your last statement is contradictory to the rest of your post. No question there, that's just a statement.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Okay, I've made my diary public so you guys can take a looksie.

It seems like the general consensus is that I am trying to lose too quickly. I of course want to reach my ideal weight sooner rather than later, but I think changing the goal to .5 - 1 lb a week is sound advice. (Just not what I wanted to hear.) :)

Why dont you start lifting heavy if you havent done so already. You will cut body fat quicker which will get you to your look goal. Weight is meaningless and weighing less doeant mean you will look the way you want. Where you see the definition is when you cut your body fat. Also cutting body fat means a tighter waistline as muscle is more dense than fat.
  • clairegogogo
    Options
    Hi! When I first started I had the same problem, too. But then I tried to balance my meal, about 400 cals each, or a little short on breakfast so I can have a little snack. And I felt better.

Also, go over a few calories is not too bad! :)
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Why dont you start lifting heavy if you havent done so already. You will cut body fat quicker which will get you to your look goal. Weight is meaningless and weighing less doeant mean you will look the way you want. Where you see the definition is when you cut your body fat. Also cutting body fat means a tighter waistline as muscle is more dense than fat.
    [/quote]

I'll give this a shot!
  • margaret2u
    margaret2u Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    OK, so I literally just started this yesterday, so I don't have all the lingo down. I know for myself, when I put my profile info in yesterday, and it told me 1200 calories per day, I thought "Whoa, that's rough!, but I'll try" I came away at the end of the day with ~1750 calories. I figured, I'd get used to it. THEN I put my 2 hours of workouts in, and it told me I still 'needed' or allowed ~250 calories. OH!!! I didn't notice the whole 'net calorie' concept. Anyhow, I don't know if the solution's that easy for you, lol, but it's good to know there's a forum here to talk about it all. I'd lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago, and am now trying to take off most of it that's crept back. I know from experience once I start working out alot, I pretty much want to eat my own arm. Veggies, veggies, veggies!!! Good luck!
  • Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better I'm hungry all the time and I put my loss in at 0.5 a week AND I eat back my exercise calories.

But I know I need to get more protein. I think that would help a lot. I am such a fat/sugar/salt addict!
  • kellybean14
    Options
    OK, so I literally just started this yesterday, so I don't have all the lingo down. I know for myself, when I put my profile info in yesterday, and it told me 1200 calories per day, I thought "Whoa, that's rough!, but I'll try" I came away at the end of the day with ~1750 calories. I figured, I'd get used to it. THEN I put my 2 hours of workouts in, and it told me I still 'needed' or allowed ~250 calories. OH!!! I didn't notice the whole 'net calorie' concept. Anyhow, I don't know if the solution's that easy for you, lol, but it's good to know there's a forum here to talk about it all. I'd lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago, and am now trying to take off most of it that's crept back. I know from experience once I start working out alot, I pretty much want to eat my own arm. Veggies, veggies, veggies!!! Good luck!

Yeah, the "net" calories thing is pretty sweet. Unfortunately, I realized that little "trick" a while ago. :wink:
  • olivia88spencer
    Options
    I always feel that way, regardless of how much or how little I’ve had. I feel as if I constantly need to be chewing on something, I eat when I'm bored, happy, sad, hungry, I keep eating even if I’m full. When I was at my lowest weight of 150 Ibs I had a lot of wheat bran with my cereal, and found that it helped keep me full longer, although I did still overeat. So, to help stop the urge I would spend my time doing other things and opted to exercise longer sometimes I would spend three hours a day just exercising. I find the best way to get your mind away from food was to distract yourself from it, the busier I got the less time I thought about food, and the less time I thought about food the more pounds I lost and the healthier I became.

GOOD LUCK!
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem... I can't seem to get to my calories goal? I would fill up on fruit, vegetables and water and lots of it! (really as much veg as u want)
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Can you clarify for me please:

Are you suggesting that anyone who doesn't lose weight at a fast pace will get discouraged and give up? What about those of us who lose inches? Are we destined to get discouraged even though we've dropped pant sizes?

Do you really believe you have to be hungry to lose weight? I lost twenty pounds last year and wasn't hungry and didn't feel deprived once.

I am suggesting that the slower people see progress, the more difficult it is to keep up with the program, that is a basic human principal. If someone told you it would take you a year to lose one pound, I bet you wouldn't be happy with that. I clearly said "I" would not be happy with 1/2 lb a week, but everyone has different expectations. If you are losing inches, that can be just as encouraging if not more as seeing the scale drop. But keep in mind, if you are losing at a 1/2 lb a week vs a 1 lb a week the inches are going to come off slower as well. It's the RATE that you are losing that I was talking about, and lbs/inches/sizes are all going to be affected by this rate. I wasn't saying the scale was important, I was saying the RATE was.

I beleive that after you are used to eating at a certain level for months or even your whole life, and then you try to cut back, MOST PEOPLE are going to be hungry (or THINK they are hungry because they are used to CONSTANTLY snacking like most Americans) because your body is not used to that change at first. BUT eventually if you are eating in a healthy range still your body will get used to your new goal and not think it's hungry anymore.

I'm glad you were able to lose 20 lbs without EVER being hungry. The more weight you have to lose the easier it will come off so I am assuming that was part of it. I wasn't trying to take away from your hard work I was just trying to help the OP with my own expereicne. No need to get defensive. :flowerforyou:
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ya i'd change my goal to one pound a week or half pound a week. I don't know how people do 1200. I also have special days maybe once a month or so where I just eat what I want, like pizza or something. (just not a whole pizza, lol) I have also found that oatmeal fills me up for a long time.
  • wapan
    wapan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer from this problem. Here's a few things that have worked for me: Veggies like carrots and snap peas, green tea, water and more protein. I also find gum helpful. And most helpful - leave the situation. If you're in the kitchen go to the bedroom, and vice versa, move around and do something else. And if you're still hungry, try eating something healthy like veggies or protein. Also, make sure you are sleeping enough. Many times if I feel that manic hunger, I'm just sleepy and fighting it. A ten minute nap can do a world of good.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would say 1.5 lbs a week is quite a high rate of loss. I lost at an average of 0.6 lbs a week, and even then had to fight some serious starvation pangs.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I feel hungry no matter where i am in the calorie range...its like i dont have an off button...ugh. However I am down 30 pounds and i am lifting weights a lot more...big way too allow for more food...and i love it!
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    How much water do you drink? I have started drinking at least 8 cups of water a day, before I never drank anywhere near that much I think it's the first time in my life I haven't been hungry all the time.
  • zilliegirl
    zilliegirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am also but I have decided i want to be and look like myself again the self hate is sooo much worse for me any way :sad:
  • Jen8np
    Jen8np Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It took me 3-4 weeks to get used to my daily cal goal. Now I feel content with my calories.

Glad to hear you are eating your cals back.

What sort of defecit are you set at (500 cals from your TDEE)? Perhaps you are trying to lose to quickly; you don't have that much to lose (24 lbs on your profile), so you shouldn't be attempting to lose like 2 lbs a week or anthing.

I'm set to eat 670 fewer calories a day than my TDEE, so mfp has me at 1200 a day. I thought 1.5 pounds/week wasn't too fast of a loss... but maybe it is?

I have always heard if you have 10lbs or less to lose you should never aim for more than 0.5lbs per week. I remember those starving days and don't miss them at all. I love eating more and have soooo much more energy for bigger workouts now! Not to mention the day I increased was the last day I called it a "diet"
  • kellybean14
    Options
    How much water do you drink? I have started drinking at least 8 cups of water a day, before I never drank anywhere near that much I think it's the first time in my life I haven't been hungry all the time.

I knoooooooooow... I should drink more water. I'm going to give it a shot this week and see if it helps. I feel like my thirst trigger rarely goes off, and I naturally want 3-4 glasses of water a day, even when I do cardio for an hour. :embarassed:
  • DBahlaouane
    Options
    Today is my first day with mfp :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day with mfp :)
    You might want to go to the Introduce Yourself forum.