10 days in 1 bowel movement

Options
13»

Replies

• juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone this is kind of embarrassing to ask but I changed my diet majorly 10 days ago I have gone from a high fat hi carb diet to lots of fresh fruit heaps of veggies and lean meats.. this 360 change in my diet has seen me drop 9.9lbs in 10 days, however I have only had one bowel movement... Is this common. I don't feel constipated and bloated at all but a little concerned. I have in total about 95lbs to loose...

Happens to me all the time since eating healthy. So it's been a battle for a couple of years now.

Try adding a cup of Senna tea right before bedtime. Also known as "Smooth Move" tea. :)
  • moepwr
    moepwr Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I recommend sipping a large bottle of mineral water throughout the day and, if you haven't had the urge for a BM by the end of the bottle, try a double espresso or a good cup of coffee. And, of course, a good brisk walk around the block.

The mineral water is great for getting things moving and a little jolt of caffeine can sometimes makes difference, too!

My wife and I have both used this process on various occasions.

Hope it helps!

I recommend the coffee after the walk. It works!
  • margeauxhunt
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor. I have IBS and always seem to have issues with constipation, and my doctor gave me fybogel. It's nasty, but helps.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Wow. Be sure to weigh in after the next one!

LOL LOL LOL
  • Imajicat
    Imajicat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    weight loss is usually faster in people with a lot to lose right when they start modifying their diet. I wouldn't worry about that big loss if it now begins to slow down to a more regulated rate like 1-2 pounds a week.

Clean eating should make you have more regular and easier to pass BMs if you are eating lots of fruit, veg and greens.
    I would make sure you are not eating just lean protein and low fat items. you need some healthy fat to keep things going, nuts, olive oil, avocados and salmon are good for that. You need lots of roughage and fiber, veggies and fruit are good for that as well as things like oatmeal, quinoa and brown rice. You can also use prunes or prune juice which taste pretty good and help move things along. you might want to look into a soluble fiber suppliment like benefiber.

I wouldn't use colace or any other laxative on a regular basis and if you are still have a back up after a few days,I would definitely get to a doctor ASAP!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    1300 sounds like very little food for someone who wants to loose close to 100 pounds. I have 3 pounds to loose and get to eat a lot more then that. Are you eatting below your bmr? If so thats not healthy. To figure this out go under tools>bmr
  • embclark
    embclark Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Make the last thing you eat at night be celery (with or without Peanutbutter) and the first thing you drink should be tea or warm water. When I did this for a whole I was very consistent...
  • choirgirl1130
    choirgirl1130 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    no, that is not normal...up your water intake and drink a big cup of strong black coffee :0) i bet that will help you along. if that doesn't resolve inthe next day or so, i would contact your physician.
    also, go into your goal settings and add fiber to your macronutrients that you are tracking. ALWAYS hit that goal!
    your system is probably experiencing some "shock" due to the change in diet, but i believe you should have been back on track now so to speak.
  • Katz135
    Katz135 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am no expert, but I would say you are not eating enough. I agree with Codergal that 1300 sounds like very little food for someone who has 100 lbs to lose. Make sure there is a lot of fruits, veggies and roughage in you diet. Also, your water intake is vital. If your caloric intake is all soft foods and the like this would also cause this problem. If you don't eat enough, your body will go into starvation mode and this could really hamper your weight loss journey. Good luck.
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Didn't see your water consumption in you food hx but I would try upping your water and fiber. 10 days without a BM is not healthy and could lead to some health issues. Also, you calorie intake might be too low. If MFP is suggesting more than 1300, I'd eat that amount at a minimum not including calories burned from exercise.... Just MHO.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I say this isn't normal. You need to increase your fruit and your water consumption.. A natural way to get your bowels moving is to use prune juice about 6oz every morning warmed up.. That will to get them started.. for the next couple days I would suggest doing that 2x daily and if they don't start moving you need to see your doctor.
  • gatorgirlyyy
    Options
    See, I'm the opposite. I suffer from Chronic IBS and it really impairs my everyday life. I hate it. I also hate to say that since starting my lifestyle change it has gotten worse. I have no health insurance and can't afford the medication. I just take it day to day.

As far as your problems go I would recommend eating much more Fiber and taking a laxative (pill, enema, or suppository) to get things to start moving.

I hope that you feel better!
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    your problem is your fat intake. your diary says 19g and you goal is 68 g. I would be aiming for at least 40g from healthy fat sources.
  • LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    pls see a doctor & take this seriously - this seems really to be the time for some laxative

to support BM naturally besides drinking water it helps a big deal to have a tablespoon of lin- or flaxseed - excellent for your diet anyhow - see:

The essential fatty acids in flaxseed oil are one of its key healing components. EFAs are particularly valuable because the body needs them to function properly, but can't manufacture them on its own. Essential fatty acids work throughout the body to protect cell membranes, keeping them efficient at admitting healthy substances while barring damaging ones.

best to sprinkle it over oatmeal or joghurt

what really helps too is milksugar (lactose) if you are not allergic to it - after about 2 weeks the effect sets in
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Although nowhere near as severe as you report, I have experienced the same thing so I think it is a potential symptom of radical changes of habits.

Having said that, asking medical advice on the internet from total strangers is a very poor strategy, and given the symptoms that you report, I would be seeking some professional advice. In the meantime I would also be taking an over the counter fiber supplement, plus a laxative and drinking heaps of water.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    many good comments and we are not doctors just offering support. Water water and more water. give it a go :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    10 lbs in 10 days is not healthy, and neither is 1 bowel movement in that time period. Are you eating enough? I might recommend seeing a doctor

10 lb in ten days is perfectly normal for someone with a lot to lose. I do wish the lifelong skinnies / got to lose 20lb peeps would get their head round this basic fact. Obese people lose weight faster at first. Natural. Normal. Healthy.

But yeah, the BM thing is a bit dodgy, and I'd get that checked.
  • Petskies101
    Options
    So guess what after asking and drinking a tone of water I had some action in that area.... Thank you everyone for your responses. I am also trying to increase my food intake as I seem to be under target significantly in a lot of areas.