Indoor Bicycle Trainer

Options
Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
I am trying to get back into cycling and eventually want to do it at a competitive level. I have 2 small kids and can't always get out on rides that push me. I am looking into purchasing an indoor trainer as a reward when I hit my 50 lbs lost.

Looking for recommendations from roadies who do indoor training. Not ready for rollers. Don't really want to spend more than $200 at this point in time. Perhaps when I'm further along I'll be interested in investing a significant amount of money. Right now, just want to work on building endurance. If you can recommend a product, it would be appreciated!!!

Replies

• Lib_B
    Options
    anyone? :smile:
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I have a CycleOps magnetic trainer that I like. It's cheaper than their fluid trainer and the resistance levels are adjustable. DH has their fluid trainer and the resistance on that thing is insane (I've been on several different CycleOps fluid trainers and there seems to be a REALLY wide range of resistance on those things--I don't know if it's quality control or what). At similar effort to what I'd put out on the road I'd lose 2-3mph on his trainer. My magnetic is quieter than his fluid, too.
  • holmevik
    holmevik Posts: 33
    Options
    I have a Kitenctic Fluid Trainer that I use for cross training. Works very well and it is not very noisy at all. Runs about $350 at REI I belive. Folds up for easy storage. Highly recommended.
  • msjaxn69
    msjaxn69 Posts: 44
    Options
    I have a Minoura Rim Drive trainer for my mountain bike. The price was around $250. Bought this type because I didn't want to have to buy slicks. Works great and is very quiet. Ask the folks at your local bike shop to see what they recommend. Welcome back to the saddle by the way.
  • Lib_B
    Options
    thanks, all! i'm super excited about hitting the road again. i used to do some local races and rides to support trails, etc. i've been out of the game for so long, i forgot how great it feels to have the wind rushing past your ears.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - look for a used one, they're built like tanks (put a training tire on your rim & use the skewer intended for the trainer) I'm not ready for rollers either!