Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

The Hunger Games

Okay, so I never read while I exercise, but I'm getting tired of the same old ipod/running combination.. so I decided to buy The Hunger Games and take a swing at reading it. I took it to the gym with me, and while I was on the treadmill, I began reading. I completely lost track of time, and did the elliptical for 75 minutes. Holy crap. I NEVER do it for that long. Maybe I'll start this reading/elliptical thing more often. By the way.. this book is SO GOOD.. and SOOO hard to put down.

p.s. Yes, I've drank the Koolaid :drinker:

Replies

• mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    When I use to do the elliptical regularly, I use to read my lecture notes or study...and would realize that I only would do the elliptical for 20 minutes or less lol....I stopped doing that..So I would read for leisure, watch Netflix or YouTube videos on my iPhone lol...I would be on for 60-75 minutes a day lol. I find doing something productive that is interesting can always help a good workout :)
  • Kate, I read fashion mags while I'm on the tread and I'm telling you, I feel like you do, you can only listen to the same workout playlist for so long! I definitely want to get "The Hunger Games" before I see the movie and you have just gave another reason for me to do so -- I'm excited -- good luck in your "lifestyle change"!! :-)
  • katelynpelerson
    katelynpelerson Posts: 99 Member
    Thanks, you too! Yeah, I would definitely read it! I'm doing the same, reading the book before watching the movie. People have actually said that the movie is one of the best book/movie remakes they've ever seen.. unlike Twilight.. which I despise.
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    I read on the treadmill everyday (well 6/7). Its the only way to keep my focus to get through 3 miles. If I didn't have that I would just get bored and stop. And yes the series is great!!!! Read the whole thing twice last January.
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 686 Member
    I read all three books while doing treadmill workouts. The time went by so fast each time.
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    i do both - i listen to music (mainly to drown out background noise) and read whatever book i'm reading at that time on my kindle :)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 728 Member
    Love reading on the elliptical! I just finished the Hunger Games and moved on to the second book in the series, Catching Fire. I'm trying to save the book for only workout times to give me a little encouragement and treat for going long on the machines :). LOVE the series so far!

Edit: Go Dawgs! That's my alma mater! :). The Ramsey Center is awesome!
  • katelynpelerson
    I don't think I'd EVER be able to not read this book all the time haha! GO DAWGS! I loooove me some Bulldogs! and the Ramsey Center:)
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    I've read those already, loved them, but now I really wanna try this reading-while-working out thing...can anyone suggest any other good reads!? I'm a big reader and love fantasy & Young Adult fantasy... :smile:
  • katelynpelerson
    I would totally recommend any John Grisham book, he's my favorite author. He writes mysteries.. so idk if you'd like them, but they're so hard to put down.. for me:)
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 728 Member
    Lol! It's kept me motivated to do a couple of hours on the elliptical a day. I want to know what happens!

I like the Tamora Pierce if your into young adult fantasy. I think her first series is called "song of the lioness" but she's been writing for a while so she has several series.
  • sluedu09
    sluedu09 Posts: 107 Member
    Hunger Games is sooo much better than Twilight as far as books and movies. There's more meaning to them. Don't get me wrong, I totally loved the Twilight series while I was reading it, but when I read The Hunger Game, it totally blew Twilight out of the water.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 866 Member
    I am halfway through Book 3. I am enjoying them so much!
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    I can't read and workout at the same time. I get dizzy and my mind wanders off of the page. xD Instead I keep audiobooks.
  • I absolutely LOVE the Hunger Games series. I've read all 3 of the books several times and I'm honestly in love with them, like there's no other way to describe it... I've never been this into a series before. They're extremely well-written and so easy to read for hours on end. If you like the first one, you should definitely read Catching Fire and Mockingjay next!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    there is no way i could read small print on the eliptical
    i only read when im on a stationary bike

havent started the hunger games books, but i bought the first one (i work at a book store) so excited for it!
  • mikesa3
    mikesa3 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm reading this book too. It's so good. I haven't tried reading on the elliptical ,not sure if I'm coordinated enough. LOL I think I will try on Monday.
    Nancy
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 363 Member
    The Hunger Games should NEVER be compared to Twilight.

The Hunger Games = Great books, great writing, great story.

Twilight = Crap books that should not have ever been published (but then again, Snookie "wrote" a book.. No wonder this world is full of morons), horrible writing, horrible story. Worst books I've EVER read. I burned them.
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Okay, so I never read while I exercise, but I'm getting tired of the same old ipod/running combination.. so I decided to buy The Hunger Games and take a swing at reading it. I took it to the gym with me, and while I was on the treadmill, I began reading. I completely lost track of time, and did the elliptical for 75 minutes. Holy crap. I NEVER do it for that long. Maybe I'll start this reading/elliptical thing more often. By the way.. this book is SO GOOD.. and SOOO hard to put down.

p.s. Yes, I've drank the Koolaid :drinker:

I am reading the books too and l did see the movie..It is the best movie l have seen this year so far..Just LOVED it...
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    The Hunger Games should NEVER be compared to Twilight.

The Hunger Games = Great books, great writing, great story.

Twilight = Crap books that should not have ever been published (but then again, Snookie "wrote" a book.. No wonder this world is full of morons), horrible writing, horrible story. Worst books I've EVER read. I burned them.

So totally agree with that....