Not afraid to exercise, but can't get the other 80% right

So last year I melted weight off for 2 months. Then started p90x and other exercise. Weight loss stalled for months, I could eat anything and not gain or lose. Eat more did not work, eat less did not work.

I then checked out for about 5.5 months. Gained weight I was drinking at least 3 large sodas and package of cookies a day. Eating 1.5 meals of solid food. Started gaining weight but knew I was not exercising and eating well.

So, this year I decided to do p90x and try to eat more. I do try to eat my exercise calories back. I have tried mostly protein, I have tried no dairy, I have tried watching sodium. I tried no soda. I started riding a recumbandt bike thinking I needed more cardio in addition to p90x. I have tried more and more water.

My hrm is on repair, but worse case I have been estimating high which resulted in eating higher amount of calories.

Looking for ideas to consider.

I weigh daily and measure my waist daily. I have about a 5 lb range and understand this. I gauge on is my upper and lower limits dropping. I also gauge off my belt.

I do use a food scale.

Not looking for stick with it talk. That is not my problem. My weight or inches not moving is my problem.

What do I try next?

Replies

• mycovington
    mycovington Posts: 17 Member
    Hey there. Have you checked with your doctor to see if you have a thyroid problem?
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Bumping, because I have the same issue....weight just WILL NOT drop off, yet last year it did, and I work out more (and yes, I eat back exercise calories) than I ever have!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Again thyroid.Another thing to consider are you on any prescription meds? Maybe you should try getting a food scale perhaps ou are over estimating your portions
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Go to "General Diet and Weight Loss Help"
    Read the 3d and 4th posts ( by cmriverside and Banks 1850...same person) the ones with the red pins.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Take no meds. I do drink a 3 scoop serving of gnc amplified 60. I have tried weeks mixing with water, and weeks with milk. Has not made a difference.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    I had that problem. Was stalled for 3 months. Worked out, lost a few inches.. but nothing.

I went to see a sports nutritionist who was able to identify that my body didn't process glutens, dairy or soy. I've dropped all that from my food plan and I'm losing FAST.

Go see a professional. Doctors.. , Yes some can help, but work with one that specializes in nutritional sciences. My sports nutritionist actually tested my blood and all my supplements and told me what would work and what wouldn't work for me.

I've seen it work. The first 3 weeks I was down 5lbs and 17 inches. Now, I've been doing this another 3 weeks and I'm for sure down about 10lbs, probably more. Inches lost are ridiculous!!

Good luck!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 453 Member
    1. Try doing low carb induction for 2 weeks. I noticed you mentioned soda and cookies. You could have a problem with carbs.
    2. Start estimating your exercise calories conservatively. By estimating high, you're only playing games with yourself.
    3. Cut out some of the processed foods and fast food for a few weeks.
    4. Switch up your workout. Add different cardio than the recumbent bike. Switch up your weight training instead of P90X.
    5. Do calorie cycling.

No real magic. If what you're doing now isn't working, then try something else. Switch things up.

i see that you are making your calories but there's a lot of soda, burgers, and pizza. Your body may respond better to natural, whole foods. It's worth a try.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Don't cut dairy! Dairy is good, calcium is linked with weight loss- but if you are American it MUST be organic - regular dairy in the U.S. has hormones that are horrible for you.

I am having smashing results with "real foods."

You would not believe how well this is working - it will be 100 days on Monday - and I am down 64 pounds - but I am hitting every nutrient goal I need.

I feel great because I am eating nothing with perservatives. I eat dehydrated pumpkin seeds, unsalted pistachios, veggies galor, organic chicken, free range eggs, organic light cheese, quinoa, organic oat meal, flax and chia seeds... etc.

There might be more sugar and sodium in what you are eating that you don't know about. The body is too busy getting rid of the junk, the sugars, artificial sweetners, sugar alchols, salts, chemicals, etc. that it doesn't have time to do anything else :(

So give it a whirl, the cool thing is that it can't hurt.

Best of luck - and though you don't want to hear it, keep at it.