Tattoo

Options
I am so mad at myself! I had a tattoo redone today without thinking. They said is is not good to sweat with a new tattoo because it is like an open wound. It was suggested that I not sweat for at least 3-5 days! Any suggestions, PLEASE!? I mean, how do you get in some good exercise without sweating?

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    what about swimming?? can you swim with a new tattoo? ive had mine so long i dont remember what you're not supposed to do!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    what about swimming?? can you swim with a new tattoo? ive had mine so long i dont remember what you're not supposed to do!

No, you casnot swim. You cannot be in the sun. You can't do sh@t.

It's very important that you treat this like a very bad wound and take good care of it while it heals. You have to think of these things before you get them.
  • craftygirl1975
    craftygirl1975 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I got my tattoo they just suggested that I cover it with a gauze patch for 3 days. Mine is on my ankle though so I don't know if that makes a difference.
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It's a wound - they tell you not to sweat with it - don't.

Try meditating. It's another way to engage your body without sweating. Walk - moderate pace, just so you are getting some cardio.

Don't eat over your calorie goal. You'll be fine.

Now you are making me want another tattoo :)
  • CRenaeB
    CRenaeB Posts: 66
    Options

No swimming for 2-3 wks
  • kurenaikumo
    kurenaikumo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Oooh NO! Don't go in a pool with a fresh tat! I've never heard that "don't sweat on it" stuff before. If you feel more comfortable covering it to exercise, use a gauze pad with a light coat of ointment and tape it on around the edges with surgical tape.

ETA: Make sure to remove the pad when you're done.
  • CRenaeB
    Options
    It's a wound - they tell you not to sweat with it - don't.

Try meditating. It's another way to engage your body without sweating. Walk - moderate pace, just so you are getting some cardio.

Don't eat over your calorie goal. You'll be fine.

Now you are making me want another tattoo :)
    [/quote

Thank you. That really helps!
  • CRenaeB
    Options

No, you casnot swim. You cannot be in the sun. You can't do sh@t.

It's very important that you treat this like a very bad wound and take good care of it while it heals. You have to think of these things before you get them.

Thats the problem, I wasnt thinking.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The no sweating thing must be a new recommendation. I wasn't told that for either of mine. I also couldn't cover with gauze because tape, band aids, etc. break me out in a rash. I still taught all my classes and did all my workouts with no ill effects to my tattoos. Personally, I'd recommend calling another tattoo studio and getting a second opinion on the recommendations for exercise.