WAY confused, and upset.

Options
13»

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Do you think you are burning a lot more calories lately? I would definitely adjust your eating because it does seem that your body needs the extra fuel. And really, truly believe that muscle weighs more than fat....
    Not to mention, if you watch "The Biggest Loser," you know that the contestants always drop off the second or third week. Keep at it!

I have been burning a lot of calories lately - because sometimes I don't just sit with Insanity - I also throw in a run! I've been doing excellent with eating, and exercising, I'm just having a moment of Veruca Salt "I WANT IT NOW!"

Everyone's advice is really helpful. Some suggested a week of Insanity, then a week of my own work outs. I might tackle that idea, too -- and just keep experimenting until I find the perfect combination of things to do that works for me.

I DID up my calorie intake today - because with all my physical activity, maybe I'm not taking in enough - but I can hardly see meeting 2040 calories, when I've never even been over my 1630!

I'm going to mix things up a little, and go from there.

Don't overtrain.
    anything over an hour will set you back.
    Sounds counterproductive but your hormones don't care about your good intentions.
    do insanity or 3ds or any of the programs but make sure you rest correctly or you'll beposting about your plateau later.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's input.

Again - I'm not intending on quitting, just re-thinking INSANITY. I don't know if it's the right program for me.

Time will tell, because with the advice I've learned several things:

- Ups and Downs are FINE.
    - Muscle could be adding up here.
    - I'm on the right path!

It's all good. I had a brief lapse of reasoning, but I'm not going anywhere. :happy:

Firstly - well done!!.

Secondly - how much exercise are you doing in a typical week - it sounds like you are over-training and could be ending up with a far too low deficit - you need to consider your net calorie intake (i,e, what you eat less what you exercise).

Unfortunately, as many folks have already mentioned, the first week is usually a lot of water weight, especially for females. Sorry - not to make you feel bad about your initial weight loss - you are very early in this journey and kudos for starting it and for trying to understand what is going on with your body along the way.
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    From the reading I have done on here it seems many many people do not lose allot of inches on Insanity or 30DS or the other videos like that. What they lose is inches. Take your measurements and continue on with what you are doing. You will see changes, if not in weight in inches! Do not give up on it! See it through. You will be better off in the long run as you will become stronger and healthier!
  • abcdever
    abcdever Posts: 24
    Options
    I had something similar happen to me about 6 months ago. I was SO frustrated so I called my brother, who is a personal trainer. He told me that when you make a change to your diet and exercise program it's not uncommon not to lose weight at the 2nd or 3rd week. I know it's not on the same scale as what you're talking about, but even contestants on the Biggest Loser always talk about how bad their weight loss is during the second week compared to the rest of the time. And they always expect to see lower weight loss when they have one week of losing a great deal of weight, and 6.8 lbs in one week is definitely alot (CONGRATS on that by the way). I would definitely encourage you not to give up. Like so many other people suggested, stay on your plan for a few more weeks and then see how things are. The body is a funny thing, but it will eventually give you the results you want. You should also definitely consider taking your measurements. I'm sure you will be excited by the change you see from month to month in inches. Insanity is a great workout from what I hear, so don't give up just yet. :smile:
  • Perpalicious
    Options
    Skipped all of the comments, but anyways...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but to count those 6.8lbs as a true loss would be a horrible assumption. Water, as well as other things, generally account for the weight loss within the first two weeks of a cut.

Are you weighing all of your food to know how much you're eating?
    Have you ever bothered finding your maintenance calories?

I think it would be safe to assume that you're not actually at cutting calories, but maintenance instead (or just under). Try dropping your calories by another 100 calories and assess from there.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Maybe your working out is making you build some muscles like I read in someone elses post. Or maybe if you are close to having your period that might be the reason as well. That was my case this week, even tho i worked out and did exactly the same i do everytime, from last saturday to today I only lost 1lb, and expecting period today/tomorrow.
    Avoid salt, and drink lots of water!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    and just keep experimenting until I find the perfect combination of things to do that works for me.

This. Just keep telling yourself this. This tells me you get it, :)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I have lost 30 since sept but none the past 3 months...i have however been continuing to lift weights at the gym. Several people have told me lately that it looks like i have dropped more weight, and my pants are loose, so something is happening! keep on keepin on!
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    Try www.fat2fitradio.com to find the perfect calorie intake for you. Good luck hun!
  • Happymom12
    Happymom12 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Is it around that TOM? I usually gain a few days before that so when I know it is around that time I usually don't bother weighing in for that week, this way I don't stress about it and weigh in after it is done instead.

This is what I was going to say but thought it might be too obvious but in talking to some of my other girl friends they didn't realize how much they gain before and during this week or so of their month.
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So much good and sensible advice above! I agree. Give it time. Measure yourself. Up your calorie intake relative to your workouts. Your body needs those calories. Let your body adjust to the new regime you've given it. It will settle and you will be losing! Try not to stress! You're working hard and it will pay off! Great job! Keep it up! :D
  • nomoreplaying
    Options
    You didnt say you were going to throw in the towel, you said you wanted to throw in the towel on "Insanity" and continue with your regular routines. Thats not saying you are quitting. I have thrown in the towel on MFP about 4 times in a year, and did my regular things to lose weight, and then come back to MFP to keep up with my eating habits for better health. But that's not quitting. My daughter went through Insanity twice, and she is looking for something else to do. I think you are dedicated to yourself and know what you are doing, and everyone gets frustrated.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You've only been doing this for 2 weeks! You've lost more than the 2lb/week maximum recommended weight loss. You're still ahead at 6.8lbs!

If you're expecting to lose +5 lbs a week for the rest of your journey, there are higher chances you will fail. Only because your expectations are so high, you're more likely to throw in the towel out of frustration/disappointment.

Focus on health rather than the scale number. Your body will reward you in return.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I know how frustrating it can be, but my first advice is to calm down.

It's only been two weeks. If it were me, I wouldn't start monkeying around with settings right now. If in two more weeks you still haven't seen a change, then you can look at what you're doing.

The most important thing to realize is that weight loss is not strictly linear. I'll give you myself as an example: (I'm a daily weigher, it works for me, many people find it much too stressful)

Last Saturday: 161.8
    Sunday: 166.4
    Monday: 165.6
    Tuesday: 164.6
    Wednesday: 164.6
    Thursday: 163.8
    Friday: 165.6
    Today: 160.8

I did not freak out on Sunday, I knew I had not gained 4.6 pounds of fat overnight. I did not freak out on Friday, I knew I had not gained 1.8 pounds overnight. When I compare my Saturday to Saturday weights, I lost a pound and I logged that. But that does not mean that I have lost a pound every single Saturday (I wish!).

As your body adjusts to new and increased amounts of fitness activities, your muscles will temporarily store water. That's okay! It will settle down soon.

^^GREAT example!!