Opinions needed

Options
annalobdell
annalobdell Posts: 201 Member
So. my husband and I are both significantly overweight. For the past 16 months I have been watching my calories, exercising more, just trying to be more active. My husband and I were at Denny's the other day and I was talking about how many calories were in the food I was eating and my hubby shushes me and tells me that I am embarrassing him. I was like WTF? How am I embarrassing you. He looks me in the eye and tells me that since I am fat, I shouldn't be talking about counting calories and such. He says that when people overhear it, they look at me and laugh. Does anyone else feel this way or is he just being a complete asshat? When I hear a big person talk about exercise and counting calories I am all like, GOOD FOR YOU! Am I weird for thinking that?

Replies

• amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I think good for yu too! I think Go her for making a change to feel better. I don't think I have4 ever thought anything like that.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Some people aren't secure enough to discuss certain things in public. Don't take it the wrong way at all. He's embarrassed and makes him feel uncomfortable. Honor his request and speak about it later alone. I do think you should discuss this with him, though.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I talk about calories because I think about calories, It is part of changing your life style and I still see nothing wrong with it if it puts you in the place where you need to be. I would ask that he respects you as well. You aren't telling him to watch his calories, you where just stating a fact.
  • EvonyPrincess
    Options
    I agree with coach...Most people don't like talking about calories and such in public. I mean I don't like talking about. I don't even bring it up at home with others around.
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I agree with coachBLT, honor his request and be patient with him. I will go to Denny's with you and we can ask for their nutrition chart and decide how much exercise each menu item would require to burn it off! I used to be all embarrassed to take walks or ask about sporting equipment, now I figure this is about ME and my health. I won't continue to be fat if I keep thinking straight about the calories etc. If I were allergic to peanuts or diabetic and ppl laughed about me figuring the glycemic index, I would ignore them. He'll come around. Eventually he will punch people who laugh at y'all! And way to go on the weight you have lost!
  • coachblt
    Options
    HAHAHA - Coach BIT??? No, No No!!!!!

It's BLT - as in the sammich!

I did get a good laugh though. Thanks!
  • annalobdell
    Options
    I just get annoyed because I feel like he is telling me that because I am already fat I shouldn't talk about anything to do with becoming healthy. It's not like I was yelling it.
  • coachblt
    Options
    Not at all. Sure, that's what he said, but believe me you, he said that because it makes him uncomfortable. It really has nothing to do with you...Trust Me!
  • editnonnalynn
    editnonnalynn Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    HAHAHA - Coach BIT??? No, No No!!!!!

It's BLT - as in the sammich!

I did get a good laugh though. Thanks!
    Ooops! Edited,,,hehe
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Count those calories. If it embarrasses him just do it quietly. But for the record, only a jerk would think badly because they overheard you being healthier.
  • coachblt
    Options
    They are being jerks if they chuckle when you discuss calories. You have an agenda and want to make a change, which is fantastic. It's one calorie at a time and anytime is a good time to count them.

Talk to your husband. This is about his insecurity, not yours. He's just trying to make you feel like he feels, that's all.

We're behind you!
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I heard someone that was overweight counting calories, my thoughts would definitely be "Good for you!" and not negative. How can you negatively judge someone for trying to get healthy!
  • KBside
    KBside Posts: 45
    Options
    I was at the store tonight and pickup a product and told my husband it looks good but told him how many calories it was and said it is not worth it and put it back. Someone looked at me and smiled. I dont think anyone should be embarassed about making healthy choices and if someone wants to laugh, then its their problem! You should be proud of what you are doing for yourself. I would talk to your husband about this, and find out the reason why he feels this way and try to make him understand why this is ok. :smile:
  • annalobdell
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions. I showed this to hubs and told him that I will count my calories quietly from now on. It is truly nice to feel that I am not alone in this. Thanks again and happy easter!!
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Yea, sounds pretty stupid to me. To me he's pretty self-concsious about something otherwise he wouldn't be worried about what other people think of him or you. People SHOULD watch thier calories more or at the very least not overinduldge like mad, who on earth would laugh at that? Just seems silly.