Couch to 5K

Options
Hey,

My name is Rebecca and always wanted to be able to run but i was always too overweight. I would always be too out of breath and my sides would hurt etc...
Anyway, ive recently lost some weight and im thinking of doing the Couch to 5k to give me a boost.
Is there anyone who is in the same boat as i am and would like to do it with me? I need an accountability partner to stay on track.
To be honest, im not really doing this to lose weight. i just want to be able to say i can run 5k. :)

SW: 165
CW: 142
GW: 130
UGW: 125

Replies

• PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I started it a few month back then fell down the stairs after the first day and fractured my ankle. I tried again a few weeks ago and tore my calf muscles. I am going to try again soon though. I have a 5K race coming up at the end of May which I signed up for in January thinking I will be able to run it by then, not looking so good now but I will certainly give it my best shot.
  • Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing c25k program. I'm on week3 run 3

I'm a lot heavier than u. sw: 230. cw: 196.

I am so unfit and thought I'd never be able to run. Died doing week1 which was running for 60 second intervals, this week I've been running 3minute intervals. You can def do it. I'll be ur accountability buddy if you like.

Add me
  • kmfolkins
    kmfolkins Posts: 64
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

There is a whole group of people for c25k. You might want to join it. I am on week 5 day 2 tomorrow morning!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I did it starting in December 2010. Changed my life. :smile:

Just remember to run slow at first. It's running too fast that gives you pain and breathing issues.
  • Picturesque2u
    Picturesque2u Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can follow me. I cheer on my pals and love the motivation and inspiration that I receive in return.

I've never been a runner. I couldn't walk up my stairs without getting winded just 90 days ago. Now I've slowly gone from walking to jogging by building up from intervals of 1 minute each.

I will be running my first 5k5k in May. It's okay if I walk when I need to. My goal is to finish within 40 minutes.

You can do it. Just take it slow to prevent injury and burn out....... My daughter can run backwards faster than I can jog. :)
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just finished the program yesterday and will be running my first 5K this Saturday! I think you should go for it. I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd be a runner, yet here I am, 9 weeks after first trying to run, and I can do it. Give it a shot, and don't sweat the small stuff! :smile:
  • springseternal
    springseternal Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I just started today :) I'm doing it for the same reason-to be able to run 5K. If I lose weight along the way, great! But I'm really wanting to be able to prove to myself that I can do it, regardless of the number on the scale.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I finished C25K in March. I'm bigger chested and thought I couldn't run because of being top heavy and also heavy. Looking ahead on the program I thought they were kidding when it said running 90 seconds, or 3 minutes, or 5 minutes, etc. I knew I couldn't do it. And somewhere in there I started to like running and can now run a 5K on the treadmill (at around 4.9.....I'm not fast) in under 39 minutes.....with no walking.

You can do it!!! It's not easy and you may want to give up. DON'T.....it eventually gets easier!!!
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I started about 3 months ago and enjoy it but at times think I must be mad as the last time I was doing running like I am now was when I was at school and yes that was a very long time ago but follow the program and you will do well and your running times will improve so well done and good luck
  • augustbride2012wa
    augustbride2012wa Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey, I just started this week, and would also love someone to hold me accountable.
  • thistimesucess
    thistimesucess Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about this off and on for the last few months - just need to take the plunge and try
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My sister and her husband did that a few years ago. They both ended up losing a bunch of weight. Now he runs half marathons (she sticks to 5K). My knees wont take running any distances so I stick with the bike, but I wish I could go back to it.