Child Running Question

Options
Hey! Tonight my 10 yr old daughter and I started our 'learn to run' program.

She really wants to be a runner. My cousin happens to be an Olympian runner and has repeatedly told my daughter that she has a long distance runner's physique.

Last summer we tried the C25K program but she hated it, as she also wants the time to talk to me.

So my new plan for us is that we just head out and arbitrarily determine small distances to run. i.e. lets run from that tree to that curve. Okay lets walk till that bench and then run from there to that tree. That worked great for us tonight but by the end of the 3 km she was complaining that her legs were cramping. I figure we were gone 30 minutes.

We are transportation cyclists so I know she's fit, as last year she easily cycled more than 3000 km. I'm just wondering if there are things I should monitor.

I've already made sure we have good shoes. I didn't think we needed to take water with us for the 30 minutes in just above freezing temperature, would that have caused her cramps? They weren't too bad as she did walk right through them.

Anyhow, suggestions? Advice? Things I should monitor?

I figure that if we can get this down into a routine now it will give us a good place to connect when she hits the teen years. I promised her that if we run more days in a month than not, then we can go for a small DQ treat on the first of the following month.

Replies

• ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I am doing the c25k program for my 11 year old daughter....make sure she is hydrated before the run...not really necessary during since its only 30 minutes...but then hydrate after as well...did she eat right before you ran? That can cause cramping. Start her out with a good warm up before any running, that may help. Good luck sweetie.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice but just wanted to say I think it's an awesome way to connect w your daughter now and maintain that connection through teenage years. I'm a runner and my daughter, and son, is/are 2 years and I would love to run w them one day.
    Way to go momma!
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you both!
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    my 10 year old daughter also runs with me. She is on a competitive soccer league and we started running last summer so she could keep up her activity off season. Last year we did a 5k together and she has many others planned for this summer.

I don't have any advice really except for to start small and increase your/her distance. Last year when I was training, my daughter would ride her bike with me on my 7-8 mile runs - that helped increase her stamina. Another thing I really stressed to her was to run at a pace where we could still carry on a conversation. I made her sing lyrics to me while we ran because then she was breathing properly and it acted as a cadence while we ran. Again, these are all very unofficial methods, just what I know worked for my daughter and I.

Good luck to you both, I think it's great that you are doing this together.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    One thing to keep in mind is that her legs might just hurt anyways.
    When I would go through growth spurts at that age, the pain would keep me up at night.
    Maybe it's the impact of the running portion causing the cramping/pain?
    Potassium and magnesium helps with cramping :)
  • Songbirdy
    Songbirdy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love the singing advice, thanks! I happen to be a trained singer and she wants to do that too so that would work well for us.

Last night I told her the goal was to run less than we thought we could so that we would have positive associations with running. She is a perfectionist so that was a bit frustrating but I think she understood at the end.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    She really wants to be a runner. My cousin happens to be an Olympian runner and has repeatedly told my daughter that she has a long distance runner's physique.

First off, has your daughter gone through puberty? If the answer is no, then you don't know WHAT physique she'll have.
    I didn't think we needed to take water with us for the 30 minutes in just above freezing temperature, would that have caused her cramps?

Yes dehydration will cause cramps. Water is crucial. A water bottle is one of the most important things to have with you. (both of you)

Honestly it sounds like your plan is good. You're having quality time and she's enjoying it. Win/win!