Round Two!

Options
Kennkaru
Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
Hello, new friends.

I'm a 26-year-old fine arts teacher from Iowa and am in my SECOND round of weight loss.

Three years ago I lost 30 pounds doing Weight Watchers, and spent that time becoming a sort of nutrition and exercise nerd. I can't even count the books, magazines, and internet articles I read making sure I was completely submerged in my efforts to be healthy. The results were great and I felt better than ever.. Then, well.... you guessed it. Three years later and I'm back at my starting weight.

What it really comes down to is that I forgot my mantra- "Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels." Of course, "being healthy" is sometimes code for "being fit and looking my best," but overall health is the general goal here. When I was really focused on my goal and had a great strategy to reach it, I had no problem maintaining the attitude and the drive. As soon as I reached it, however, I slipped back into my old habits. This time, I will not allow that to happen. I have seen how easily it can all fall apart.

I teach mainly middle and high school students, and I see so much in terms of childhood and teenage obesity. I really, really want to be able to be a role model for these kids in every way I can. The other day, one of my students' little brother didn't recognize me because the last time he had seen me, I had been a lot thinner (30+ pounds thinner). If I can't keep control of my habits as a 26-year-old, how can I expect my hormone-laden, confused, self-conscious-as-a-general-rule teenage students to keep control of theirs? I'd like for them to watch me lose the weight and to know that they can look and feel how they want to with the right attitude and the right dedication.

As a dance teacher, I took for granted the amount of "exercise" I needed to be getting. In addition to my classes, I'm now committing to at least 30 minutes a day of walking, but that usually ends up being about 45 minutes of interval training (alternating walking and running). My daily calorie intake is fairly low to start with, and I try to earn back some calories with exercise. I've been back "on the wagon" since Monday and have already lost almost 2 pounds, so here's hoping I can keep it up and be at my goal (down 40 pounds) by the end of summer or sometime in the fall.

I joined MFP because I love the tools, the community, and the fact that it isn't going to cost me $40 a month like WW did. I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you, and begging you to help keep me accountable ;)

Replies

• hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    With your knowledge, motivation, and the fact that you started again, you will definitely succeed! Nice job on your early success. You certainly have come to the right place for motivation!

You got this!
    (sorry teacher for the bad grammar)
  • mtm77
    mtm77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck to you on your journey!
  • FlabulessFam
    Options
    Welcome! I am from Iowa too and I am a teacher!! I started in January and have lost 16 pounds so far.. it's coming off really slowly but I hear that means it'll stay off! I'd love to help keep you motivated!!
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You have already done so much just by getting to the point of realization. Most people dont! Feel free to add me to keep you accountable:)
  • Joneses17
    Joneses17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm not from Iowa and don't live there now but I did go to college in Iowa. Good luck with your weight loss. I'm in a similar position. I lost weight in graduate school and gained it all back as I got away from exercise and into a serious relationship. I'm ready to focus on me again and once I hit my goal weight continue working and being active. I'm not a teacher but I do work for a university as an administrator. Feel free to add me if you're looking for friends.