Krav Maga

Options
Approximately seven months ago I made a post about Krav Maga. I got a huge response from people who said they'd heard about it and would love to do it.

I'm just wondering if any of those people who were interested actually signed up to a class and now train in Krav Maga.

I currently only attend one class a week, but as I've been doing it for seven months I've noticed a great improvement and am thinking about grading for my Practitioner Level One in the new year.

Krav is so much fun. I studied Karate Do Shotokai for 7 years and can say that it is no where near as realistic as Krav Maga. In Krav, you learn moves that you can use on the street if need be.

So my questions are:

1) has anyone joined Krav Maga since my first post seven months ago? If so, how are you getting on?

2) are there any female Krav Maga students out there? What level are you currently at? How did you find the grading/fitness test?

Replies

• FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I took Krav Maga for a couple months until the membership got too expensive because my husband switched jobs, and is earning less now. I loved it! Best workout I've ever had. First week is hell!!! There is a very sharp learning curve though. YOu should go more than once a week! TEst is hard! I haven't done it only watched it. In my dojo, the instructor usually will tell you when he thinks you are ready to complete it. It's definately male dominated, and I found that the hardest part was sparring with someone that was way above my fitness level, or way stronger than me. Yes I have cried on the mat a couple times cause they hit me harder than they realized, but I pushed through it and kept on going. Krav is so badass, but you have to be tough and not afraid to experience some pain.
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I took Krav Maga for a couple months until the membership got too expensive because my husband switched jobs, and is earning less now. I loved it! Best workout I've ever had. First week is hell!!! There is a very sharp learning curve though. YOu should go more than once a week! TEst is hard! I haven't done it only watched it. In my dojo, the instructor usually will tell you when he thinks you are ready to complete it. It's definately male dominated, and I found that the hardest part was sparring with someone that was way above my fitness level, or way stronger than me. Yes I have cried on the mat a couple times cause they hit me harder than they realized, but I pushed through it and kept on going. Krav is so badass, but you have to be tough and not afraid to experience some pain.

That's the kinda response I wanted! Thanks :)

I've known a few men drop off the course because of the expensive fees. It's a shame it's so high but it covers the cost of room hire I guess.

Sorry to hear you had to quit. Maybe things will change and you will be able to rejoin in the future;)

The fitness test is what scares me the most. I can't do proper push ups and I know they make you do about 100! Lol. My instructor thinks I'm ready. I'm not sure though... I need to do more lessons in the week.

Did you did that most men would pair of with other men and you'd end up being one of the... Leftovers. This what appens to me sometimes and in find it frustrating as I can be a good sparring partner!

Lol... It can be painfully sometimes... Especially for the men I train with :p
  • lowliar
    Options
    I just found out that there is a Krav Maga school in my area, and intend to check it out when finances permit. I train in MMA now, and I'm pretty good at it, but like you said, Krav is one of the best things to learn for the streets.
  • JE55Y
    JE55Y Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I just found out that there is a Krav Maga school in my area, and intend to check it out when finances permit. I train in MMA now, and I'm pretty good at it, but like you said, Krav is one of the best things to learn for the streets.

How did you get in to MMA? I know that the grappling is similar o that used in Krav Maga, but I don't know if Krav would be good in thy kind of fight. I think Krav s mainly for fighting against an opponent who doesn't have fighting experience.
  • lowliar
    Options
    How did you get in to MMA? I know that the grappling is similar o that used in Krav Maga, but I don't know if Krav would be good in thy kind of fight. I think Krav s mainly for fighting against an opponent who doesn't have fighting experience.
    Sorry I didn't respond earlier, I took off shortly after my post. I happen to live right around the corner from a world famous MMA fighter's gym, so the opportunity just kind of fell in my lap. I started looking up self defense a couple years ago, which led me to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu (which was the original foundation before the Israelis modified it into Krav Maga for their military). I didn't have any training partners for GJJ, so I started looking for a contact school in my area, then found out that the MMA gym was just a 3 minute drive from my front yard. It's not so much self defense oriented, but I love it, and wouldn't take back a minute of the time I've spent there. I'm hoping to compete in an amateur fight sometime in the near future.
  • lowliar
    Options
    I just tried to respond to your question, and I'm not sure if it didn't work, or if there is a delay in the post, or what? So here goes again lol.

Sorry not to respond back when you answered me, I had to run to work shortly after my first post. MMA kind of fell in my lap by chance, as it happens. I started looking for self defense instruction a couple years ago, and had NO idea where to look. Gracie Jiu Jitsu got advertised to me, so I ordered their instructional videos (GJJ is the art that the US Military adopted in the 90s, then the Israelis took it and made it work better for combat, i.e. Krav Maga). As I started doing that, I started watching MMA events on TV, and then found out a little later that a world famous UFC fighter had a gym literally 3 minutes away from my front yard. Since I had no training partners for the videos, and was getting interested in MMA anyway, I stopped by and checked out the MMA gym. I have been there for over a year now; it's not quite so "street fight" oriented, but it's a great outlet, and I'd never take back a minute I have spent there. The only drawback for me is that I also want to be able to handle a street fight, and MMA trains you to fight people who are following rules. I know the guy in the cage isn't going to go for the groin. The guy in the street, not so much.
  • FairuzyAmanuzy
    FairuzyAmanuzy Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You sound like a kick *kitten* chick! That's awesome. If your instructor thinks you can pass you should do it! Push yourself. :) If I were to sign up again it would be with a chick friend so that I know I have someone to spar with. I've definiately felt like a leftover sometimes with the men there.
  • LeisureRunner
    Options
    I take "Americas Best Defense" which is Krav Maga, Muay Thai, & Brazilian jiu jitsu. I love it! We have a good mix of male & female too. I like training with both. Good luck on ur test!
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Krav Again...

I took Krav about an a year ago. Got back into it in Jan. It is good but tiring. I used to go to Level 1 and Level 2. But right now I am working my way back up. I go twice a week , regularly. I never seem to get up in time for the Sat. Class. First two weeks were painful but now I'm getting back in the groove. I am feeling better and doing better. Last night I closed out MFP with around 300 calories left thanks to what I earned at Krav!!!!
    105295 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello ;)

Just did a general search for Krav to see if there were any one who knew about it/interested in it on MFP and came across this thread, thought I would share my experience with it. Not sure if you have taken the P1 to P2 test since you've started the thread but if you haven't just fyi it's intense lol. I started Krav about 6 months ago, went about 3-5x a week and took the P1 test.... For my gym, it was 5hrs of endurance - started with running about 4-5 mi (felt like forever, that was the worst part imo) & a fireman drill up a (small-ish) hill & back then review, and finally, the actual test (which was the last hr or so). Barely could move the next day but soooo worth it ;) Definitely felt a sense of accomplishment when I passed. Highly recommend taking the test if you (and your instructor feel you're ready) ;)!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I've watched two seasons of Archer so I know all about Krav Maga. Come at me bro.
  • BritH24
    BritH24 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was surprised to see that there is an actual thread for Krav. When I try to explain it to friends or anyone, nobody knows what it is. My boyfriend and I have started taking it - completed our first TWO HOUR session last Monday, have our second one tonight (we missed the second class due to prior engagements).

We are both reasonably fit, and I found it to be incredibly intense, but incredibly invigorating and liberating. I am one of only two females in the class, but I spar with my boyfriend because I know he won't take it easy on me like some of the other men do. What's the point in learning to defend myself if someone isn't going to bring it on?

I must say, the 20 minute warm up is enough to kill me since it's non stop moving and I'm definately not used to it anymore. But as difficult as it is, I know it doesn't last forever and it's not going to kill me, so you just gotta push on! I can already tell that participating in classes twice a week should help whip me into shape super fast! Should be a pretty interesting three months!!! Wish me luck!

PS - Women, if you are planning on joining a class, find a comfortable female jock to wear! You'll regret it if you don't!!!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    1) has anyone joined Krav Maga since my first post seven months ago? If so, how are you getting on?

2) are there any female Krav Maga students out there? What level are you currently at? How did you find the grading/fitness test?

Hi there!! I've taken Krav Maga for about a year and LOVE it! I train 4x/week and am currently level one but will be testing for level two within the next month or so. I'm also starting a groundfighting class next month.

I really love that the movements are so realistic. There's a couple consistent female students in my class that do really well and my school has 3 female instructors that kick so much butt! The classes I take are usually fairly cardio intense (lots of exhaustion drills) but also focus on technique and lots of defenses too.

I LOVE that this guy I haven't seen in a while (a police officer who is just HUGE and muscular) worked with me on Saturday and said, "Wow, you've really toughened up!" I get beat up a fair amount, I partner with a bigger guy and often have to work with the other strong guys but I try to be fast and aggressive and put up a good fight!
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Did you did that most men would pair of with other men and you'd end up being one of the... Leftovers. This what appens to me sometimes and in find it frustrating as I can be a good sparring partner!

Lol... It can be painfully sometimes... Especially for the men I train with :p

I find that sometimes when my usual partner isn't there. Mostly because I go for the groin ("No groin, no krav maga") and don't give up. :-P
  • raydot
    raydot Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm going to volunteer in the Israeli Army within the year and all recruits take mandatory Krav Maga classes during basic training, regardless of what job they end up with. Very excited to learn it, glad to hear a bunch of other women enjoy it and excel at it as I've heard it's *very* tough.

I had an Israeli counselor at my camp who was a Krav Maga instructor during her service - I don't know what level she was, all I know is that she repeatedly beat the crap out of all the male counselors who tried to spar with her. Amazing to watch!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Bump