healthy flour

Options
OK, all you smarties out there. What is the most healthy flour that you use? What is the healthiest flour available? Have you used it? Are there problems with it (like how it holds up, what is its texture like, if it has elasticity (which is why the bad stuff is so good)?

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Almond flour.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    That is a good question I havent use no typeof flour in months I totally forgot it exist:laugh:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    "OK, all you smarties out there."
    HA, HA...... now that's funny! :laugh: :bigsmile:

Flour? Who bakes? I got nothing...... :smooched:
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    dang double post!!!

Me not so smart! :laugh:
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Where do you get almond flour from? I would love to try it!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Where do you get almond flour from? I would love to try it!

I get mine from my Neighborhood Coop.

Does any of the grocery stores in your area carry Bob's Red Mill products? That is my favorite brand.
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I have some whole wheat flour. Haven't really tried to make anything with it yet? I'm scared too. Anybody tried it before?
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    Don't know about the most healthy...
    But, I do use whole wheat flour all the time.
    When I bake I use 1/2 white / 1/2 wheat.. works great!!
    Cookies... bread... pizza dough...

Give it a try ... :)
    You can even try 1/4 white / 2/3 wheat .. I'll give that a try !!!

I have not used almond flour but would love to try it...
    will look for that soon...
  • JMAMA
    JMAMA Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat flour is great, I actually grind my own and use it in practically everything! Cookies, bread, brownies, pancakes, banana bread is exceptionally good. I have a recipe for ezekiel bread that uses bean and whole wheat, rye and a few others that you grind into flour. YUm! High fiber, more protein, and lots of good nutrients. If you are not used to it, use half and half or some other proportion. Be sure and keep it in the fridge though. Whole wheat flour loses its nutrients quickly. I sometimes freeze my leftovers, just in case. :bigsmile:
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Whole Wheat Flour
    Almond Flour
    Oat Flour
    Unbleached White Flour

I use them all the time in combination...I love to bake and always take a recipe and try to have whole wheat flour as the main flour, but sometimes the texture is too dense for some recipes. I will use it in combination with unbleached white, almond or oat flour and it always turns out great. Here are 2 of my family's favoites...

Pizza dough:
    1/2 c. whole wheat, 1/2 c. white self rising cornmeal & 1 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
    1 t. each of salt & sugar
    4 T. olive oil
    Disolve 1 package active dry yeast in a bowl with 1 cup warm water & let sit for 5 mins.
    Mix all ingredients together and form a ball. Cover and let dough rest for at least 1 hour. Divide it out onto 2 pizza pans and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Pull out and add your favorite tomato sauce and veggie toppings with low fat cheese. Bake another 10 minutes and enjoy!

Pancakes:
    2 egg whites
    1 1/4 c. milk (I use almond milk)
    1 grated Granny Smith apple
    1 t. cinnamon
    3 T. olive oil
    3/4 t. salt
    2 t. baking powder
    2 T. honey
    1/2 c. oat flour, 1/2 c. almond flour & 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    (recipe calls for 1 & 1/2 c. flour so get creative and find the one that you love)

Mix all ingredients together until they just combine. DO NOT OVER MIX. Don't worry about lumps, lumps are good. Spoon 1/4 c. batter onto hot griddle and cook until you see bubbles around the sides and in the middle of each cake. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Spoon 1 t. pure maple syrup over each pancake. These are delicious!

I can find all kinds of wonderful flours at our local Kroger, Publix & Wal-mart. Bob's Red Mill & King Arthur Flour are the best I have found. I hope this helps you. :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Well, I no longer consume grains, so nut flours are my only option.

I do not like soy flour, blech. :sick: :sick:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Do you use the same amount of almond flour as you would white flour?
    I know wheat flour is different in recipes than white flour.
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Whole Wheat Flour
    Almond Flour
    Oat Flour
    Unbleached White Flour

I use them all the time in combination...I love to bake and always take a recipe and try to have whole wheat flour as the main flour, but sometimes the texture is too dense for some recipes. I will use it in combination with unbleached white, almond or oat flour and it always turns out great. Here are 2 of my family's favoites...

Pizza dough:
    1/2 c. whole wheat, 1/2 c. white self rising cornmeal & 1 1/2 c. unbleached white flour
    1 t. each of salt & sugar
    4 T. olive oil
    Disolve 1 package active dry yeast in a bowl with 1 cup warm water & let sit for 5 mins.
    Mix all ingredients together and form a ball. Cover and let dough rest for at least 1 hour. Divide it out onto 2 pizza pans and bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Pull out and add your favorite tomato sauce and veggie toppings with low fat cheese. Bake another 10 minutes and enjoy!

Pancakes:
    2 egg whites
    1 1/4 c. milk (I use almond milk)
    1 grated Granny Smith apple
    1 t. cinnamon
    3 T. olive oil
    3/4 t. salt
    2 t. baking powder
    2 T. honey
    1/2 c. oat flour, 1/2 c. almond flour & 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
    (recipe calls for 1 & 1/2 c. flour so get creative and find the one that you love)

Mix all ingredients together until they just combine. DO NOT OVER MIX. Don't worry about lumps, lumps are good. Spoon 1/4 c. batter onto hot griddle and cook until you see bubbles around the sides and in the middle of each cake. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Spoon 1 t. pure maple syrup over each pancake. These are delicious!

I can find all kinds of wonderful flours at our local Kroger, Publix & Wal-mart. Bob's Red Mill & King Arthur Flour are the best I have found. I hope this helps you. :flowerforyou:

I'm definately going to try these recipies!! I can't remember when I last had pancakes... yummm.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Do you use the same amount of almond flour as you would white flour?
    I know wheat flour is different in recipes than white flour.

Yes, it measures the same as white flour.