Returning to myfitnesspal again and again and again

Options
Hi everyone! I'm in desperate need of some help. Here is my story:

I joined Myfitnesspal when I was living in South Korea. At the time I lived alone but my best friend, who was also using Myfitnesspal, lived close by. She lost a huge amount of weight and I went from being overweight to super fit and lean, having lost 10 kilos and starting weight training and running every day. We both felt so good and we supported each other and life was just fine. Then last August we left Korea for Europe where we had an absolute blast while still using Myfitnesspal staying in the green every day despite being surrounded by temptation! It was pretty impressive. After Europe it was time to go home to Australia which we were really happy about after being away so long.

Back in Australia, we both decided to take a break from Myfitnesspal for the week of Christmas... then we extended that to the week of New Years' Eve. Then a couple of weeks later we moved from our hometown to Melbourne, another excellent step for our lives. So we couldn't limit our enjoyment of Melbourne by using Myfitnesspal. Groan. So as you can see, the break just kept extending and today we are both heading back to where we were before we found this wonderful site. I think we are both aware of how committed you have to be when using Myfitnesspal and even though we know we gotta get healthy, we are still somehow not feeling its vibe right now. But then, I start almost every day with Myfitnesspal and then around 4pm I just forget about it, thinking, 'ahh, why start today? I have muffins'.

Now, we both work in places where we have access to free, high-calorie food all day and we both come home complaining about it but we both just keep eating crap. We both cycle everywhere and play sport, and I still go running but food is posing a massive problem to us both. We have tried making small goals, we have tried setting each other targets... we have tried all the stuff that worked for us in Korea but it's not working anymore. We live together in a share house with two other people and we often share meals which makes in ever harder compared to Korea when we just cooked for ourselves and could get away with just watermelon for dinner if we'd indulged earlier. Worst of all we have started using the other's bad habits to excuse our own. For example, if my friend has an ice cream I will think it's okay for me to have one too even if I've already been eating rubbish all day!

If anyone has some advice for us please help!!!

Replies

• bttrversionofme
    Options
    Hey honey.
    I hear you. I think everyone has been on the 'on the track, off the track, on the track, off the track' rollercoaster at some stage.

I think you guys just need to remember how amazing you felt. If you don't feel amazing, make the changes that will allow you to feel like that again. You know *what* to do already, you've done it. I think really it's more about putting your 'bigger picture' in front of the 'right now'.

Maybe try planning the food you're going to eat in the morning, entering it into mfp before you eat any of it and leaving yourself a little buffer zone for any extras that might sneak up on you?
  • clair3jane
    clair3jane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, lovely! I have had a long think about it and I feel like Myfitnesspal is actually making me feel more guilty than I should, and it's actually strangely causing me to overeat. I decided to stop using it about a week ago and I haven't binged since which is pretty amazing for me. I feel like it's time to stop using myfitnesspal altogether because I have a general idea of what I should eat and when. So yeah! I feel good about this!