Carb *kitten* Starting the South Beach Diet

Options
I'm starting it on the 15th..so I have time to eat up what I have in my apartment and start over fresh with new groceries when I get paid on the 13th.

I've already packed up all the sweets, frosting, sprinkles, baking goods etc...And will be getting them out of my apartment before then.

I am a MAJOR sugar/processed carb addict. Majorly....omg.

Does anyone have any tips to survive the first two weeks? It's going to be BRUTAL!

I've got my book, having my grocery list ready to go....I saw that I can have sugar free hard candies and gum....Thank god....but do you have any tips for when the cravings are so bad that I feel like I'm going to die??

Thank you! :)

Replies

• LivyB14
    LivyB14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    WTG!! I too am on SBD and I'm not going to lie, the first 3-4 days are tough BUT you have the books, the fresh veggies are essential and drinking a lot of water (to the point where it's coming out your ears) and you'll get through it. I promise!! You're the only one that can get you through it. Just keep telling yourself when you have a craving, and you will have them, "I know what it taste like and it'll be around in.....I don't NEED or WANT it". Those first 2 weeks, I did drink A LOT of green tea with lemon...did it help, IDK, just a tip :)

Friend me if you want when you start. Best of luck!!
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Did you do any journaling or anything to help or use some sort of distraction to help with the cravings? I'm so nervous about those....I KNOW it's going to be super rough...
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I tried that (also a carb *kitten*) Made i through 6 days and binged like crazy.
  • mischa_12
    mischa_12 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have a link to the meal plans? I would be interested in doing it with you as I too am addicted to carbs
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    You can get the book from the library or like me, I bought it for my Kindle from Amazon. It was only $6.40. I don't think they list the plans anywhere because they want to make money. I bought the South Beach Diet Supercharged one...the updated version.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Can I just say I love the phrase "Carb *kitten*"? It combines all my favorite things.

Good luck to you!
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love the South Beach Diet but yes, the first two weeks are hard. But from what I have read it's better than it use to be and the food list are better.

What I did is take the approved food list with me to the grocery store and only bought things on the list. I loved having a yes and no list! The only cheat we allowed that wasn't on the list was carrots. Baby Carrots help when the blood sugar is crashing.

The best is small snacks all day long. When we first did it veggies were unlimited so I would fix two or three veggies with our dinner. Just make sure you prepare them with very little oil etc. and fill up on them.

We did the deli meat roll ups for snacks. (I'm assuming these are still in the book) Eggs for breakfast. I made veggie omelets with egg beaters a lot. One good idea is to fill muffin tins with various veggies and pour egg beaters of them (spray with PAM first!) and bake them. Then heat them up in the morning.

Two weeks is about all I could take before I started adding carbs back. Now we basically cut out bad carbs..... not big on white flour, sugar and white potatoes.

I haven't read the revised edition of the diet. I know they added some things back to Phase 1 vs when it first came out. Really I like Phase 1 because it helps me break bad habits. I have always gone low carbs when I find myself eating bad stuff too much. It makes me eat veggies.

You can do it. If you have a sweet tooth I recommend No Sugar Added Fudgesicles and Sugar Free pudding. For my salt addiction I go with salted almonds. But we usually want just something small and sweet around 9 pm... so the pudding or a fudgesicle would work.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs on Atkins, but I think my advice is still valid for South Beach. (I'm back on here because I moved to South Korea and put on 25 lbs - low carb, sugar free, or gluten free (prepackaged) products don't exist here and I couldn't afford to keep paying $15 for a pound of ground beef...blah blah blah excuses... etc)

Anyway...........

I would avoid most "sugar free" candies. Gum isn't as bad, but he candy contains a lot of sugar alcohols. Some of them are as bad or worse than sugar and will make you crave the real thing even more. Plus, if you get a big need to binge on the candy, you'll live in the bathroom as the -titol's on the label are like laxatives.

First two weeks - lots and lots of water and snacking every couple hours on high protein foods. If you can find a food dehydrater, you can make your own chicken jerky, etc.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I like the eggs/veggies in muffin tin idea.
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Can you have any sugar free candy with phase 1 or is it only gum and hard candies?
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    Bump? Is SBD not popular anymore?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Bump? Is SBD not popular anymore?

I don't know much about south beach diet but after skimming the wiki article on how it works, you might as well just do PSMF. You'll drop the pounds much faster.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • thomo71
    thomo71 Posts: 21
    Options
    Don't do it!! I've lost a stone just sticking to my calories, you need carbs for energy. Depriving yourself only leads to binge eating!!
    Humans were designed to eat a balanced diet, it's just that today we all eat too much. Hail to the Carbs. all said in jest of courseX:laugh:
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    south beach is kinda of similar to primal or paleo eating. I would suggest reading up on that....I try to follow the primal thing, it works for me. I love carbs and sugar too...so hard for me to stop, but, my body responds best to high protein/fat and and low starchy carbs. I still eat veggies but limit my fruit. I try and eat fruit when I have a sweet craving. I won't lie it's not easy, but once you get it out of your system, you don't crave it as much!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    After reading more about the South Beach Diet, you are basically cutting out most carbs during the first two weeks. You'll probably end up eating 20 grams of carbs a day at most. Is this correct? When you cut out so many carbs, you will feel extremely tired so you'll need caffeine to get you through the day. If you can make past day 3 or 4 then it should be smooth sailing from there since your body has converted completely over to fat as fuel instead of carbs. You'll know when your body has switched completely over when your pee is dark brown, has an extremely horrible stench to it, and you'll also have bad breath or bad body odor. The term for this is ketosis. You should not let your body stay in ketosis for too long as it can cause kidney damage, kidney stones, and other such things. It should be obvious to you that your kidneys are being overworked when your pee is a dark color. I don't really know how long is too long but most people on the bodybuilding forums go for no more then 3 weeks before they refeed with carbs. When you know that you're in ketosis, you might as well take advantage of it by keeping your calorie count low. Two more supplements you will need to take daily are fiber pills and omega 3 fish oil.

and... i think that's pretty much all i know about cutting carbs out of your diet.
  • rejoys
    rejoys Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a diabetic and it was the south beach diet that helped me to understand how my body processes food. I fell off the wagon and almost 2 weeks ago I went back on the SBD. Yeah its hard but you have to continuely tell yourself that you are doing this to get rid of all the sugar/carbs out of your system so to speak. After a week it gets easier as you go and your getting closer to the point that you can eat carbs again. My diet started off with my boss bringing in her homemade gobbs (would kill for one) stayed away. Went home that day and my family was making homemade pizza. Couple days later my boss brings in the employee Easter Basket filled with little chocolates. Then I go home and my daughter is making cupcakes. I can honestly say I did stay away only by reminding myself that eating one was going to throw everything I was doing down the drain. I am almost thorough my second week and I can walk past the sweets without a problem infact I can smell the chocolate in the air and it is so sweet that it actually makes me wonder who would eat that kind of stuff. Just do your best and if you slip just continue on. Your worst enemy is that thought that you failed. Never let that thought in.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Get the south beach diet cookbook. The recipes in there are so inviting you won't miss the carbs!
  • Lobster1987
    Options
    It's this first week that I'm really worried about. I already drink a buttload of coffee to stay awake at night for work. I know it's going to be REALLY rough for the first few days.

I'm just trying to see what people use as their go to when their inner carb *kitten* is trying to escape. Does sugar free gum help a lot? Etc...I'm scared, but I need to completely detox from processed carbs and sugar.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You should try to stay away from anything that even tastes sweet. Just the taste can set some people off as it does for me. My go to on Atkins was a small handful of Macadamia nuts (they're about 80% fat and really help).