I gained!!

Options
I can't believe I gained 3 lbs. My nutritionist says I need to eat at least 1000 calories a day and I normally do. What is wrong? Please help!!!

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What's your activity level? :smile:
  • laura11248
    laura11248 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know that depending on what time of the month it is...I can put on a few pounds for a week and then they disappear...thankfully!
  • elizabethlagudo
    Options
    I usually gain around my cycle time.. It's horrible.. Sometimes also if you don't have enough calories your body stores them to live on..
  • Saken
    Saken Posts: 476
    Options
    Well i am wondering the same thing too, have you checked your tyroid?
    Cheers
  • missteri2008
    Options
    How tall are you? What's your activity level? :smile:

I am 5' 6" tall. Not a lot of activity. I had lung cancer and only have one lung left plus minor heart issues which keep me from getting very much exercise. I do walk at least 3000 steps per day and sometimes I walk from 5 to 15 minutes at a slow pace on the treadmill. I feel really lousy and have no energy. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • missteri2008
    Options
    I know that depending on what time of the month it is...I can put on a few pounds for a week and then they disappear...thankfully!

I wish that was the reason. Had a hysterectomy in 2003. So I doubt that that's the problem :(
  • missteri2008
    Options
    Cheers

Thanks guys for all the help.My thyroid is fine as far as I know and I'm sure it gets checked regularly. I do have kidney problems too but don't think they affect my wieght gain/loss. But I'm not sure. I may not be eating properly. My dietician says for the next week to eat at least 1000 calories a day and he doesn't even care if it's alot of junk food. Something about resetting my metabolism.
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about all these challenges.

You have a nutritionist you mentioned, so I assume that you are choosing healthy calories as opposed to empty ones. Also assuming that you are eating breakfast. Also assuming you are spreading your calories out across the day, vs having one or two large meals?

If all of these assumptions are true but are recent changes for you, maybe you need to just try to stick with it and give your body a chance to adjust and hopefully you'll begin to feel better. I read recently as well that gain may happen at first when a diet/eating plan is changed (for the better) while your metabolism resets itself, then you'll start to see the scale move in the right direction. Apparently this process can take 2-3 weeks, or as many as 5-6 weeks. I'll try to find the posting, it was on MFP somewhere.

Good luck, and hang in there!
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I can't believe I gained 3 lbs. My nutritionist says I need to eat at least 1000 calories a day and I normally do. What is wrong? Please help!!!

I'm wondering where 1000 came from? Everything I've read has said that 1200 cals per day is the absolute minumim calorie intake per day for a woman. If you eat too few calories your body will go into starvation mode & store as much fat as it can because your body "doesn't know when it will get fed again". I am shorter than you are, started MFP in June @235lbs & am eating a minimum of 1200 cals per day. I also eat some of my exercise cals each day so I end up eating 1200-1800 cals per day depending on how many calories I burn off @the gym. Sounds like you might be eating too little.....Or you could be consuming too much sodium which is causing your body to retain water. I'd suggest checking in w/the nutritionist & re-evaluating your daily food intake.
  • missteri2008
    Options

I'm wondering where 1000 came from? Everything I've read has said that 1200 cals per day is the absolute minumim calorie intake per day for a woman. If you eat too few calories your body will go into starvation mode & store as much fat as it can because your body "doesn't know when it will get fed again". I am shorter than you are, started MFP in June @235lbs & am eating a minimum of 1200 cals per day. I also eat some of my exercise cals each day so I end up eating 1200-1800 cals per day depending on how many calories I burn off @the gym. Sounds like you might be eating too little.....Or you could be consuming too much sodium which is causing your body to retain water. I'd suggest checking in w/the nutritionist & re-evaluating your daily food intake.

The nutritionist I go to weekly is the one that said a minimum of 1000 calories a day. I don't retain water because I take a water pill daily. I'm with you when I was eating more calories I was actually losing more weight! It's hard for me to exercise, which makes it a little harder to lose weight. I was anorexic when I was younger and I have been catching myself watching every little thing that goes into my mouth and then stressing when I feel like I ate too much or the wrong thing.

I really do appreciate all the input from y'all. Thank you so much.
  • missteri2008
    Options

The nutritionist I go to weekly is the one that said a minimum of 1000 calories a day. I don't retain water because I take a water pill daily. I'm with you when I was eating more calories I was actually losing more weight! It's hard for me to exercise, which makes it a little harder to lose weight. I was anorexic when I was younger and I have been catching myself watching every little thing that goes into my mouth and then stressing when I feel like I ate too much or the wrong thing.

I really do appreciate all the input from y'all. Thank you so much.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    how is your salt intake? possibly water retention!
  • Saken
    Options
    Cheers

Thanks guys for all the help.My thyroid is fine as far as I know and I'm sure it gets checked regularly. I do have kidney problems too but don't think they affect my wieght gain/loss. But I'm not sure. I may not be eating properly. My dietician says for the next week to eat at least 1000 calories a day and he doesn't even care if it's alot of junk food. Something about resetting my metabolism.

Kidney problems may cause water retention i belive
  • missteri2008
    Options
    Cheers

Kidney problems may cause water retention i belive
    You are correct about the kidney problems causing water retention. I take a water pill daily and watch my salt intake very closely. I just cant figure out what the problem is. I'm thinkin' that maybe I'm not eating at the right times (i am not a very good breakfast eater) or just not eating enough of the right foods. But you would think that the nutritionist that I see would help me out with that, lol. I just don't know. Oh well, I'll just keep on trying!! That's about all I can do. I just can't give up!!!!
  • Saken
    Options
    dont worry
    There's also other factors, even your scale may be off due to a small calibration problem for instance!
    dont worry about that and you'll see you will loose the rest of the weight soon
    cheers
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    When she said at least 1000 cals I'm looking at it is that is the minimum amount you should eat any day but not necessarily what you should it everyday. You may want to call her back and ask her the maximum amount of calories you should have as well as a daily average.
  • LisaC1026
    LisaC1026 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I would give it a few days and see what happens. If you recently started the 1,000 calories that could be why. I think that maybe you should check with your nutritionist and see why your calorie intake is so low. Everything I read says 1,200 is the absolute lowest for a woman (I know someone else said that too)

Hang in there!
  • Saken
    Options
    I would give it a few days and see what happens. If you recently started the 1,000 calories that could be why. I think that maybe you should check with your nutritionist and see why your calorie intake is so low. Everything I read says 1,200 is the absolute lowest for a woman (I know someone else said that too)

Hang in there!

I also reckon that lowering your Cals will lower your Metabolism, making you feel out of energy and therefore not burning many calories at all.
    One good thing to raise the metabolism is trough a good callorie intake that's either not too low or not too high and how many times you eat per day.
    For instance , a normal cracker would have about 30cals, i would eat about 2 crackers per 2 hours in between main meals, keeping my body constanly gaining callories, keeping an high metabolism rate and at the end of the day i kept my callories intake lower than that MFP recomended.
    hope my theory works since i am struggling to loose a few pounds
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yep, my guess is the same as several other posters above me - I would think you'd need at least 1200 calories as a minimum, and that you need it to be GOOD, HEALTHY, WHOLESOME food, not just crap to equal 1000 calories. *More* calories are going to jumpstart your metabolism, not *less*.

I'm 5'7", and I'm losing right around 2 lbs a week on MFP's standard calorie recommendations for my activity level. I try not to eat much crap.... every now and then I do, but for the most part I'm eating healthier and feeling healthier.

If I'm hungrier than my MFP recommendations, I exercise more to *earn* extra calories that day, and I typically eat every single one I earn. Even a little walking will help if you find you're hungry.... try to fit in a lot of protein too - you can eat 3 1/2 servings of tuna for somewhere around 210 calories and 45 grams of protein - that's gonna stick with you, and keep you going a LOT longer than two cookies at the same calorie expense. :bigsmile:

Hang in there! The beauty of MFP is that you can customize it to fit YOUR needs and YOUR lifestyle....

It has to be a great help to have a nutritionist on board with you! Log all your foods, and print them to bring them to your next appointment. It will help you tremendously, and your nutritionist will be impressed that you have your act together. It gives you AND your nutritionist a strong base to work from, as they'll have all the info they need about what you typically eat. MFP has great reports. :flowerforyou:
  • Saken
    Options
    Yep, my guess is the same as several other posters above me - I would think you'd need at least 1200 calories as a minimum, and that you need it to be GOOD, HEALTHY, WHOLESOME food, not just crap to equal 1000 calories. *More* calories are going to jumpstart your metabolism, not *less*.

I'm 5'7", and I'm losing right around 2 lbs a week on MFP's standard calorie recommendations for my activity level. I try not to eat much crap.... every now and then I do, but for the most part I'm eating healthier and feeling healthier.

If I'm hungrier than my MFP recommendations, I exercise more to *earn* extra calories that day, and I typically eat every single one I earn. Even a little walking will help if you find you're hungry.... try to fit in a lot of protein too - you can eat 3 1/2 servings of tuna for somewhere around 210 calories and 45 grams of protein - that's gonna stick with you, and keep you going a LOT longer than two cookies at the same calorie expense. :bigsmile:

Hang in there! The beauty of MFP is that you can customize it to fit YOUR needs and YOUR lifestyle....

It has to be a great help to have a nutritionist on board with you! Log all your foods, and print them to bring them to your next appointment. It will help you tremendously, and your nutritionist will be impressed that you have your act together. It gives you AND your nutritionist a strong base to work from, as they'll have all the info they need about what you typically eat. MFP has great reports. :flowerforyou:

That is true, and hwen i said crackers i meant apples and fruits, that's my goal, i already swapd the diet coke (altough i drank a sip today) for water, i am about to swap my cerials for other healthy ones, and i am going to get some fruit to take with me so wheni am hungry i would bite an apple (40cals) instead of two crackers (60cals)